72 mile per hour wind gust??

  • Ron W
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
      These wild wind gust must be something that is inherent with the La
      Crosse 2310?

      I got one today and it is the first time I have seen one, on my
      station.

      I don't think I ever saw one on my Sam's club 2317. I know there has
      been quite a bit of discussion on the high wind readings and tweaks
      added to the WUHU to take care of the problem.

      Which is the better way to treat the problem, with tweaks or delete
      the entry?

      Thanks,

      Ron
    • Deborah Kee
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
        Ron, I think I'm the one with all the hot air with erroneous wind speed.  :-)

        Here's the email I received from La Crosse on how to remedy the situation:

        These incorrect wind speed readings are caused by electro-magnetic interference; there are two ways this type of interference can be prevented. The easier and less invasive method is to ensure that all of the cable between the wind and thermo hygro sensors is firmly held in place so that it cannot move. This will prevent a static charge from building on the cable due to friction. The more difficult but more effective method is to modify the sensor as shown here:
        http://www.lavrsen.dk/sources/weather/windmod.htm By grounding the cable as illustrated here, any charge will be drained to ground before it can cause any incorrect wind readings.

        I have to tell ya, the link was rather scary to me. I asked La Crosse if the warranty would be void if I tried to do it myself, and they said it wouldn't be.

        Hope this helps,

        ~ Deborah

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
          Thanks Deborah,

          That seems like a little more than I want to tackle at this point.
          I guess I could always go back to my 2317. It would be interesting
          to see if it only happens with the 2310.

          I guess you haven't been bothered with the high readings since your
          modification?

          Ron

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah Kee"

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
            Ron,
            WUHU put in a check box in the tweaks section for known wind speed
            errors and also one that you can check and put in your own MPH so it
            will disregard anything over the MPH you put in.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
              Ron, where you live you would probably want to "uncheck" it when one
              of those named storms is knocking at your door.

              Steve
            • Ron W
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
                That's why I think for now I will just delete the bad reading as long
                as I'm not plagued with too many.

                Ron

                <steve_03222@...> wrote:

                > Ron, where you live you would probably want to "uncheck" it when one
                > of those named storms is knocking at your door.
                >
                > Steve

              • Deborah Kee
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
                  It's a LOT more than I want to try ... the pics alone scared the beegeebies out of me. La Crosse will do it at no charge, but I'd be offline again for 7-10 days. Meanwhile, I've tried securing the cables better, and it did help. Instead of the 57mph spikes, I now get 14mph from time to time. I don't have my wind sensor in an ideal spot. Yet.

                  <debkee@...> wrote:

                  > Ron, I think I'm the one with all the hot air with erroneous wind
                  speed.
                  > :-)
                  >
                  > Here's the email I received from La Crosse on how to remedy the
                  situation:

                  > These incorrect wind speed readings are caused by electro-magnetic
                  > interference; there are two ways this type of interference can be
                  > prevented. The easier and less invasive method is to ensure that
                  all
                  > of the cable between the wind and thermo hygro sensors is firmly
                  held
                  > in place so that it cannot move. This will prevent a static charge
                  > from building on the cable due to friction. The more difficult but
                  > more effective method is to modify the sensor as shown here:
                  > http://www.lavrsen.dk/sources/weather/windmod.htm By grounding the
                  > cable as illustrated here, any charge will be drained to ground
                  before
                  > it can cause any incorrect wind readings.
                  >

                  > I have to tell ya, the link was rather scary to me. I asked La
                  Crosse
                  > if the warranty would be void if I tried to do it myself, and they
                  > said it wouldn't be.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps,
                  >
                  > ~ Deborah
                  >

                  > On 6/15/06, Ron W <jeffrondee@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > These wild wind gust must be something that is inherent with
                  the La
                  > > Crosse 2310?
                  > >
                  > > I got one today and it is the first time I have seen one, on my
                  > > station.
                  > >
                  > > I don't think I ever saw one on my Sam's club 2317. I know there
                  has
                  > > been quite a bit of discussion on the high wind readings and
                  tweaks
                  > > added to the WUHU to take care of the problem.
                  > >
                  > > Which is the better way to treat the problem, with tweaks or
                  delete
                  > > the entry?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Ron

                • mike_swe_seattle
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
                    I have one more possible, but untested, solution by way of La Crosse.

                    Background: my father-in-law's 2315  was giving erroneus winds and gusts at 14, 28, and 71 mph.  (See this page at WU  for the weirdest day yet.)  He called up La Crosse and, unsurprisingly, they were familiar with the problem.  Their recommendation was to install a toroid.  They kindly sent him one via UPS but we have yet to install it.

                    Looks like we should get to it, I'm seeing 14 mph again... might visit him this weekend.

                    Mike (vicariously KWAENUMC4/CW5958 )

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah Kee" <debkee@...> wrote:

                    > Ron, I think I'm the one with all the hot air with erroneous wind speed.
                    > :-)
                    >
                    > Here's the email I received from La Crosse on how to remedy the situation:
                    >
                    > These incorrect wind speed readings are caused by electro-magnetic
                    > interference; there are two ways this type of interference can be
                    > prevented. The easier and less invasive method is to ensure that all
                    > of the cable between the wind and thermo hygro sensors is firmly held
                    > in place so that it cannot move. This will prevent a static charge
                    > from building on the cable due to friction. The more difficult but
                    > more effective method is to modify the sensor as shown here:
                    > http://www.lavrsen.dk/sources/weather/windmod.htm By grounding the
                    > cable as illustrated here, any charge will be drained to ground before
                    > it can cause any incorrect wind readings.
                    >

                    > I have to tell ya, the link was rather scary to me. I asked La Crosse
                    > if the warranty would be void if I tried to do it myself, and they
                    > said it wouldn't be.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps,
                    >
                    > ~ Deborah
                    >

                    > On 6/15/06, Ron W jeffrondee@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > These wild wind gust must be something that is inherent with the La
                    > > Crosse 2310?
                    > >
                    > > I got one today and it is the first time I have seen one, on my
                    > > station.
                    > >
                    > > I don't think I ever saw one on my Sam's club 2317. I know there has
                    > > been quite a bit of discussion on the high wind readings and tweaks
                    > > added to the WUHU to take care of the problem.
                    > >
                    > > Which is the better way to treat the problem, with tweaks or delete
                    > > the entry?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Ron

                  • Ron W
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
                      Mike,

                      Let us know how the installation goes and the outcome.

                      I may have to try that.

                      Thanks,

                      Ron

                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mike_swe_seattle"
                      <cornflux@...> wrote:

                      > I have one more possible, but untested, solution by way of La
                      Crosse.

                      > Background: my father-in-law's 2315
                      > <http://franksweather.blessednotlucky.com/> was giving erroneus
                      winds
                      > and gusts at 14, 28, and 71 mph. (See this page at WU
                      > <http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
                      ID=KWAENU\
> [...]
                      Crosse
                      > > if the warranty would be void if I tried to do it myself, and
                      they
                      > > said it wouldn't be.
                      > >
                      > > Hope this helps,
                      > >
                      > > ~ Deborah
                      > >

                      > > On 6/15/06, Ron W jeffrondee@ wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > These wild wind gust must be something that is inherent with
                      the
                      > La
                      > > > Crosse 2310?
                      > > >
                      > > > I got one today and it is the first time I have seen one, on my
                      > > > station.
                      > > >
                      > > > I don't think I ever saw one on my Sam's club 2317. I know
                      there has
                      > > > been quite a bit of discussion on the high wind readings and
                      tweaks
                      > > > added to the WUHU to take care of the problem.
                      > > >
                      > > > Which is the better way to treat the problem, with tweaks or

                    • Deborah Kee
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
                        Hmmm, wonder why they didn't tell me about it. Did La Crosse send instructions as well? And if so, do they seem easier than the link La Crosse sent me:

                        http://www.lavrsen.dk/sources/weather/windmod.htm

                        I sure hope so. And as Ron said, please let us know how it goes.

                        ~ Deborah