RE: [wuhu_software_group] Adjusting Barometer Settings?

  • Springer,James C.
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
      > From: Deborah Kee
      >
      > I have installed a La Crosse 2310 and registered with CWOP and
      > WUnderground. Everything seems OK, but the data on CWOP says my
      > barometer readings are way off. I'm trying to figure out how to
      > adjust it for the WUHU data but can't see where to do it.

      > If anyone wants to take a look, here's the URL to my CWOP info:
      >
      > http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C4485

      Deborah,

      Look at pages 9 through 12 in the PDF manual below, specifically page
      12. This shows you how to set the air pressure reading for your area. I
      personally adjusted it when I had a newscast on with the pressure
      reading being shown.

      http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/pdf/pwc/WS_2310.pdf

      As for the temp, yea, the biggest trick there is avoiding direct
      sunlight or being to close to an artificial heating (or cooling) source.

      Hope this helps some.

      Jim

      E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the
      addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the
      intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
      immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments. If you
      are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
      storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
        Here is another page of tips:

        http://www.heavyweather.info/new_english_us/soft_2310.html

        Q: Can I calibrate the Barometric Pressure for my altitude?

        A: Yes. Press the "Set" key 10 times, the barometric pressure will
        flash. Press and release the "+" or "-" key to adjust the pressure to
        the pressure of your local weather station. After adjusting, keep
        pressing set until main screen is displayed.
      • Deborah Kee
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
          Thanks for the replies . . .  I should have elaborated more in my note, as I left out a rather important piece of info - The nearest news/weather station is approximately 12 miles north and 100 feet lower to sea level than I am, so I'm not sure that I should use them to manually calibrate with. The station is in a valley while we are amongst hills. Can you guys offer an opinion on this?

          Thanks again,

          ~ DKee

          On 10/21/05, Springer,James C. <james.springer@...> wrote:

          > From: Deborah Kee
          >
          > I have installed a La Crosse 2310 and registered with CWOP and
          > WUnderground. Everything seems OK, but the data on CWOP says my
          > barometer readings are way off. I'm trying to figure out how to
          > adjust it for the WUHU data but can't see where to do it.

          > If anyone wants to take a look, here's the URL to my CWOP info:
          >
          > http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C4485

          Deborah,

          Look at pages 9 through 12 in the PDF manual below, specifically page
          12. This shows you how to set the air pressure reading for your area. I
          personally adjusted it when I had a newscast on with the pressure
          reading being shown.

          http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/pdf/pwc/WS_2310.pdf

          As for the temp, yea, the biggest trick there is avoiding direct
          sunlight or being to close to an artificial heating (or cooling) source.

          Hope this helps some.

          Jim

          E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the
          addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the
          intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
          immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments. If you
          are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
          storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Robert Laird
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
            SWAG suggestion...

            Check the NOAA web site for detailed isobar charts for your area and
            if you can find one, follow the contours and see if your location's
            contour is consistently close to the nearest weather station. If it
            is, then you're going to be very close... if not, then you might be
            able to see if there is a consistent difference and use that.

            Just a thought.

            -- Robert

            On 10/21/05, Deborah Kee <debkee@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the replies . . . I should have elaborated more in my note, as I
            > left out a rather important piece of info - The nearest news/weather station
            > is approximately 12 miles north and 100 feet lower to sea level than I am,
            > so I'm not sure that I should use them to manually calibrate with. The
            > station is in a valley while we are amongst hills. Can you guys offer an
            > opinion on this?
          • David Higgins
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
              Just how far off is the barometer?

              I had to return my 2300 when I noticed that the baraometer was way off (400
              hpa off) and it changed readings as the temperature changed (ie moving from
              a warm room to a cool room - changed by 10-20 hpa)

              If your absolute pressure value is way off then it's probably a faulty
              barometer unit.

              Cheers

              David Higgins
              Canberra, Austalia

              Message: 3
              Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:54:49 -0500
              From: Deborah Kee <debkee@...>
              Subject: Adjusting Barometer Settings?

              I have installed a La Crosse 2310 and registered with CWOP and WUnderground.
              Everything seems OK, but the data on CWOP says my barometer readings are way
              off. I'm trying to figure out how to adjust it for the WUHU data but can't
              see where to do it. If anyone wants to take a look, here's the URL to my
              CWOP info: http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C4485
              It also says the temps are off, but I've most likely corrected that, which
              will show in the next few days. I hope. Any help on the barometer problem
              is much appreciated.
              ~ DKee

              [This message contained attachments]

              Message: 4
              Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:12:56 -0500
              From: "Springer,James C." <james.springer@...>
              Subject: RE: Adjusting Barometer Settings?

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
                Wow David! And I thought mine was horribly off!!!

                Looks to be anywhere from 15-20 hPa lower than it CWOP says it should be. I've made a manual adjustment and will see what it looks like over the next few days. You guys are terrific with all the help. Thanks!

                ~ Deborah

              • stevech
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005

                  Barometer 101, please

                  What’s the difference (in LaCrosse products) between absolute and relative barometer? I know that I calibrate the barometric pressure sensor in my weather station to a local and accurate one.

                  Wow David! And I thought mine was horribly off!!!

                  Looks to be anywhere from 15-20 hPa lower than it CWOP says it should be. I've made a manual adjustment and will see what it looks like over the next few days. You guys are terrific with all the help. Thanks!

                  ~ Deborah

                • jjantti2
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 22, 2005
                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@s...>
                    wrote:

                    > What's the difference (in LaCrosse products) between absolute
                    > and relative barometer? I know that I calibrate the barometric
                    > pressure sensor in my weather station to a local and accurate
                    > one.

                    Relative barometric pressure is the value used in newspapers and TV
                    forecasts and is the one that you calibrate. It's the current pressure
                    in your area and in the altitude you are currently.

                    Absolute barometric pressure is "the real pressure" located on sea
                    level (0m/0ft). This value is unchangeable by user and is calibrated
                    in the factory.

                    A bit off-topic: There are some watches available that can calculate
                    your current altitude by comparing the absolute and relative
                    barometric pressures.

                    For a rule of thumb: If you move your weather station from a floor to
                    another, you should calibrate the pressure and discard any forecasts
                    from it for the next two days.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Best Regards,
                    Juha