Adjusting Barometer Settings?

  • Deborah Kee
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
      I have installed a La Crosse 2310 and registered with CWOP and WUnderground. Everything seems OK, but the data on CWOP says my barometer readings are way off. I'm trying to figure out how to adjust it for the WUHU data but can't see where to do it.

      If anyone wants to take a look, here's the URL to my CWOP info:

      It also says the temps are off, but I've most likely corrected that, which will show in the next few days. I hope.

      Any help on the barometer problem is much appreciated.

      ~ DKee

    • Springer,James C.
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
        > From: Deborah Kee
        >
        > I have installed a La Crosse 2310 and registered with CWOP and
        > WUnderground. Everything seems OK, but the data on CWOP says my
        > barometer readings are way off. I'm trying to figure out how to
        > adjust it for the WUHU data but can't see where to do it.

        > If anyone wants to take a look, here's the URL to my CWOP info:
        >
        > http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C4485

        Deborah,

        Look at pages 9 through 12 in the PDF manual below, specifically page
        12. This shows you how to set the air pressure reading for your area. I
        personally adjusted it when I had a newscast on with the pressure
        reading being shown.

        http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/pdf/pwc/WS_2310.pdf

        As for the temp, yea, the biggest trick there is avoiding direct
        sunlight or being to close to an artificial heating (or cooling) source.

        Hope this helps some.

        Jim

        E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the
        addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the
        intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
        immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments. If you
        are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
        storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
          Here is another page of tips:

          http://www.heavyweather.info/new_english_us/soft_2310.html

          Q: Can I calibrate the Barometric Pressure for my altitude?

          A: Yes. Press the "Set" key 10 times, the barometric pressure will
          flash. Press and release the "+" or "-" key to adjust the pressure to
          the pressure of your local weather station. After adjusting, keep
          pressing set until main screen is displayed.
        • Deborah Kee
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
            Thanks for the replies . . .  I should have elaborated more in my note, as I left out a rather important piece of info - The nearest news/weather station is approximately 12 miles north and 100 feet lower to sea level than I am, so I'm not sure that I should use them to manually calibrate with. The station is in a valley while we are amongst hills. Can you guys offer an opinion on this?

            Thanks again,

            ~ DKee

            On 10/21/05, Springer,James C. <james.springer@...> wrote:

            > From: Deborah Kee
            >
            > I have installed a La Crosse 2310 and registered with CWOP and
            > WUnderground. Everything seems OK, but the data on CWOP says my
            > barometer readings are way off. I'm trying to figure out how to
            > adjust it for the WUHU data but can't see where to do it.

            > If anyone wants to take a look, here's the URL to my CWOP info:
            >
            > http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C4485

            Deborah,

            Look at pages 9 through 12 in the PDF manual below, specifically page
            12. This shows you how to set the air pressure reading for your area. I
            personally adjusted it when I had a newscast on with the pressure
            reading being shown.

            http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/pdf/pwc/WS_2310.pdf

            As for the temp, yea, the biggest trick there is avoiding direct
            sunlight or being to close to an artificial heating (or cooling) source.

            Hope this helps some.

            Jim

            E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the
            addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the
            intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
            immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments. If you
            are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
            storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Robert Laird
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
              SWAG suggestion...

              Check the NOAA web site for detailed isobar charts for your area and
              if you can find one, follow the contours and see if your location's
              contour is consistently close to the nearest weather station. If it
              is, then you're going to be very close... if not, then you might be
              able to see if there is a consistent difference and use that.

              Just a thought.

              -- Robert

              On 10/21/05, Deborah Kee <debkee@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the replies . . . I should have elaborated more in my note, as I
              > left out a rather important piece of info - The nearest news/weather station
              > is approximately 12 miles north and 100 feet lower to sea level than I am,
              > so I'm not sure that I should use them to manually calibrate with. The
              > station is in a valley while we are amongst hills. Can you guys offer an
              > opinion on this?
            • David Higgins
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
                Just how far off is the barometer?

                I had to return my 2300 when I noticed that the baraometer was way off (400
                hpa off) and it changed readings as the temperature changed (ie moving from
                a warm room to a cool room - changed by 10-20 hpa)

                If your absolute pressure value is way off then it's probably a faulty
                barometer unit.

                Cheers

                David Higgins
                Canberra, Austalia

                Message: 3
                Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:54:49 -0500
                From: Deborah Kee <debkee@...>
                Subject: Adjusting Barometer Settings?

                CWOP info: http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C4485
                It also says the temps are off, but I've most likely corrected that, which
                will show in the next few days. I hope. Any help on the barometer problem
                is much appreciated.
                ~ DKee

                [This message contained attachments]

                Message: 4
                Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:12:56 -0500
                From: "Springer,James C." <james.springer@...>
                Subject: RE: Adjusting Barometer Settings?

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
                  Wow David! And I thought mine was horribly off!!!

                  Looks to be anywhere from 15-20 hPa lower than it CWOP says it should be. I've made a manual adjustment and will see what it looks like over the next few days. You guys are terrific with all the help. Thanks!

                  ~ Deborah

                • stevech
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005

                    Barometer 101, please

                    What’s the difference (in LaCrosse products) between absolute and relative barometer? I know that I calibrate the barometric pressure sensor in my weather station to a local and accurate one.

                    Wow David! And I thought mine was horribly off!!!

                    Looks to be anywhere from 15-20 hPa lower than it CWOP says it should be. I've made a manual adjustment and will see what it looks like over the next few days. You guys are terrific with all the help. Thanks!

                    ~ Deborah

                  • jjantti2
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 22, 2005
                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@s...>
                      wrote:

                      > What's the difference (in LaCrosse products) between absolute
                      > and relative barometer? I know that I calibrate the barometric
                      > pressure sensor in my weather station to a local and accurate
                      > one.

                      Relative barometric pressure is the value used in newspapers and TV
                      forecasts and is the one that you calibrate. It's the current pressure
                      in your area and in the altitude you are currently.

                      Absolute barometric pressure is "the real pressure" located on sea
                      level (0m/0ft). This value is unchangeable by user and is calibrated
                      in the factory.

                      A bit off-topic: There are some watches available that can calculate
                      your current altitude by comparing the absolute and relative
                      barometric pressures.

                      For a rule of thumb: If you move your weather station from a floor to
                      another, you should calibrate the pressure and discard any forecasts
                      from it for the next two days.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Best Regards,
                      Juha