Re: Something useful to do with your computer while monitoring weather. #2

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5 6:20 AM
      By the way, after installing the software and choosing a project, I
      found that there are several other projects that you computer can be
      working on, many of the projects are weather related.

      Let me know if you try it out.

      > All,
      >
      > I read an interesting article this morning on Yahoo news about a
      > distributed computing project that uses your home computer to help
      in
      > the search for cures for human diseases.
      >
      > If you are looking for something to justify running your computer
      24x7,
      > you might take a look at this software.
      >
      > The distributed computing technique is the same as the one used by
      the
      > SETI project if you are familar with that.
      >
      > Here is the Yahoo news article:

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060604/ap_on_hi_te/research_at_home;_ylt=
      Au\
      > QsQpai2NFrQAtUVwFUtmys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg

      <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060604/ap_on_hi_te/research_at_home;_ylt
      =A\
      > uQsQpai2NFrQAtUVwFUtmys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg> -
      >
      > Here is the project's home page where you can obtain the software:
      >
      > http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/
      <http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/>

    • Deborah Kee
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5 7:39 AM
        I had participated in "folding@home" out of Stanford U some time back - before I had to reformat my hard drive. I'd forgotten all about it! Thanks for the reminder.

        And for those who wonder, it didn't interfere with my computer one bit. No slow-downs or virtual memory problems. An awesome way to let your computer volunteer for community service.  :-)

        ~ Deborah

        On 6/5/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

        All,

        I read an interesting article this morning on Yahoo news about a distributed computing project that uses your home computer to help in the search for cures for human diseases.

        If you are looking for something to justify running your computer 24x7, you might take a look at this software.

        The distributed computing technique is the same as the one used by the SETI project if you are familar with that.

        Here is the Yahoo news article:

        http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060604/ap_on_hi_te/research_at_home;_ylt=AuQsQpai2NFrQAtUVwFUtmys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg -

        Here is the project's home page where you can obtain the software:

        http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        WUHU Download page:
        http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

        Personal weather station Weather stations

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5 5:23 PM
          Couple of questions;
          Where do you find the different projects. The linked page seems to be
          just medical.
          Anyone know about the Teams, should we start a team? Is it more
          helpful to participate as a team?

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5 6:41 PM
            Steve,

            After installing the software, there was a prompt to enter the URL for
            the project.

            Below that is a link that pulls up a list of the available projects.

            I believe I clicked a project link, then copied the resulting URL and
            pasted it back in to the application.

            The climate model on I tried said that it could take a few weeks (on a
            PIII 800Mhz) to produce one unit of work. I think you might need a
            fairly high end machine to use that one.

            Let me know which project you think is interesting.

            <steve_03222@...> wrote:

            > Couple of questions;
            > Where do you find the different projects. The linked page seems to be
            > just medical.
            > Anyone know about the Teams, should we start a team? Is it more
            > helpful to participate as a team?
            >
            > Steve

          • Deborah Kee
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6 9:06 PM
              I know I'm behind on this subject . . . the last set of storms fried my floppy drive, so DaisyMae has been in the comp hospital the past 24+ hrs. I have her home now to backup all the important stuff before reformatting the HD. And adding more RAM when it comes in next week. I probably won't resume the @home program until after next week.

              Meanwhile, the team option is only if you want to form one and put everyone's collected accomplishments in to one report. I'd always done it independently since I didn't have a group to join (sound depressing, doesn't it???). It won't affect what data packet your system gets.

              I'm doing (or will resume doing) the folding@home which deals with diseases and such. I'm an RN by training so I guess I gravitate towards those types. But if the consensus here is to form a group and opt for a different effort, I'm game. Afterall, weather is my other passion, so weather related projects are of interest as well!