What a coincidence??

  • Ron W
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
      I just had a power failure around 3:00pm this afternoon and the
      electric was off for about 4 hours.

      I restarted my computer but now Heavy Weather is not talking to the
      console. The Console is working just fine but there is no
      communication between the computer and the console.

      I have reinstalled both Heavy Weather and WUHU but that hasn't helped.
      I don't know if something got fried in my computer or what. Computer
      seems to be working fine.

      How do you check to see if the serial port is ok?

      Thanks,

      Ron
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
        Ron,
        I don't know alot about this, but one place you can go is to the
        Control Panel, Systems, Hardware, Device manager, then find the device
        you are using. If you are using Serial, look for the serial device and
        click on it. In the middle of the dialog box that pops up should tell
        you the status of the device.
        However, Mine said it was working OK, but it was not.
        I was fortunate to have my son's computer that we just set up
        yesterday. I was able to install the PCI serial port card in his
        computer and discovered it did not workl there either.
        My conclusion is that the card is fried. Maybe not !!! That's the best
        I can come up with.
        I tried HW on my laptop and it worked and I just fired up my old 98
        machine, I retreived from the barn and I am OK with Heavy weather, but
        WUHU will not run on 98.
        So I am basicall down as far as WU & CWOP.
        So Sad!!!
        Steve
      • Ron W
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
          Thanks Steve,

          I'm going to try and trouble shoot the serial port to see what gives.

          Ron

          <steve_03222@...> wrote:

          > Ron,
          > I don't know alot about this, but one place you can go is to the
          > Control Panel, Systems, Hardware, Device manager, then find the
          device
          > you are using. If you are using Serial, look for the serial device
          and
          > click on it. In the middle of the dialog box that pops up should
          tell
          > you the status of the device.
          > However, Mine said it was working OK, but it was not.
          > I was fortunate to have my son's computer that we just set up
          > yesterday. I was able to install the PCI serial port card in his
          > computer and discovered it did not workl there either.
          > My conclusion is that the card is fried. Maybe not !!! That's the
          best
          > I can come up with.
          > I tried HW on my laptop and it worked and I just fired up my old
          98
          > machine, I retreived from the barn and I am OK with Heavy weather,
          but
          > WUHU will not run on 98.
          > So I am basicall down as far as WU & CWOP.
          > So Sad!!!
          > Steve

        • Ron W
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
            I just hooked up a GPS unit to my serial port and the serial port is
            working. At least the computer and GPS unit are talking to each
            other through the serial port.

            So now how do I get the computer to talk to the console?

            Ron
            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ron W" <jeffrondee@...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
              Ron,
              I can not believe that we both had the same problem at almost the same
              time of day.

              Anyone know how to get to my WU data while I am not uploading. I am no
              longer listed.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
                Ron,
                I tried my Garmin and it looked like it was talking, said it was
                acquiring, so I tried the WS2310 again and no joy. I plugged the
                Garmin back in and stuck it out the window to actually get a real
                signal, this time it said it couldn't even open the port. Put the
                Console serial plug back on my old machine and it works fine.
                I just have no way to test WUHU, but I would think if it works for HW
                it will work for WUHU. I will call Radio Shack tomorrow and if they
                have a PCI Serial card I will pick one up, my guess is that they will
                not have one and I will have to order online and wait a week to get it.

                Steve
              • Ron W
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
                  Well now you got me curious. All I did was plug my Garmin into the
                  PC port and the computer read the information off of my Garmin. I
                  didn't try to load any information into the GPS though.

                  I guess the next thing to try in my case is a new PC cable.

                  Ron