v137 Wind Gust Fixed

  • cgrosby
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2005
      I've been reviewing the wind gust information all day, and it appears
      that it is now fixed and reporting correctly at WU.

      The only thing I could be critical of is how WU rounds off the data.
      I noticed this with the wind readings and more particularly with
      precipitation.
      If HW reports 0.02" of rain, WU rounds it off to 0.00".
      If I have say 0.14" of rain it rounds it off to 0.10".

      I can understand rounding off 22.4 mph of wind to 22 mph. Who cares
      about the significance of .4 mph of wind, but one would think that
      rounding off 0.04" of rain over the course of a few hours might be
      significant. It is even more significant rounding off 0.09" to 0.00".
      If WU reflects hundreds of an inch of rain, then it should report the
      data as such.

      Any thoughts??? I hate to even ask if another patch might be
      necessary. It appears to report accurately in the history.dat file.
      I'm just curious.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2005
        Craig,

        Good catch. Problem has been corrected. See v138.

        Thanks for your help.

        Download link: http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "cgrosby" <cgrosby@h...>
        wrote:

        > I've been reviewing the wind gust information all day, and it
        appears
        > that it is now fixed and reporting correctly at WU.
        >
        > The only thing I could be critical of is how WU rounds off the data.
        > I noticed this with the wind readings and more particularly with
        > precipitation.
        > If HW reports 0.02" of rain, WU rounds it off to 0.00".
        > If I have say 0.14" of rain it rounds it off to 0.10".
        >
        > I can understand rounding off 22.4 mph of wind to 22 mph. Who cares
        > about the significance of .4 mph of wind, but one would think that
        > rounding off 0.04" of rain over the course of a few hours might be
        > significant. It is even more significant rounding off 0.09" to
        0.00".
        > If WU reflects hundreds of an inch of rain, then it should report
        the
        > data as such.
        >
        > Any thoughts??? I hate to even ask if another patch might be
        > necessary. It appears to report accurately in the history.dat file.
        > I'm just curious.

      • jjantti2
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 19, 2005
          wrote:
          > I can understand rounding off 22.4 mph of wind to 22 mph. Who cares
          > about the significance of .4 mph of wind, but one would think that
          > rounding off 0.04" of rain over the course of a few hours might be
          > significant. It is even more significant rounding off 0.09" to 0.00".
          > If WU reflects hundreds of an inch of rain, then it should report the
          > data as such.
          >
          > Any thoughts??? I hate to even ask if another patch might be
          > necessary. It appears to report accurately in the history.dat file.
          > I'm just curious.

          Good job finding that one out. There has been no rain and wind has
          been negligible here, so I haven't had a chance seeing the round off
          actually happen.