RE: [wuhu_software_group] Re: WS36xx history.dat file.

  • stevech
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
      Re resetting rainfall totals... I wonder if their thinking is that you start
      a new history file and that file starts with an implied zero in rainfall
      total. There is a place to define the file name for the history data.

      Memory leak... hmmm is all I can say.

      CPU time: The WS36xx, apparently unlike the prior generation (23xx?)
      products, has an RS232 serial interface, but it is used totally differently.
      I used a serial data sniffer to confirm my suspicions: The serial port
      handshaking signals are used to transfer data; the usual serial TX and RX
      data lines are simply not used. Why would they do this? Well, perhaps the
      WS36xx microprocessor has no serial UART or someone thought using the
      control lines would be faster or allow longer cables. I do know I've never
      seen this done on any other product. So the sensing and toggling of these
      lines every few seconds is why HeavyWeather is such a CPU hog. For that
      reason alone, I don't want it running all the time.

      Steve

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "cgrosby" <cgrosby@h...>

> [...]
        > >
        > > I viewed the history.dat file sent to me by Craig who had also
        > found
        > > this defect.
        > >
        > > The values for that field (wind gust) are changing over time
        > however
        > > this field often contains the value 51.0 (meter per second).
        > >
        > > After reviewing the data, it appears that 51.0 is used as
        > a "sentinel
        > > value". When the wind speed is low (~2.0 m/s) the gust speed is
        > > reported as 51.0. I can only assume that gust data is not
        > available.
        > >
        > > I have also found several instances where the wind speed value
        > also
        > > contains 51.0. I can only assume that the station experienced an
        > error
        > > when collecting the wind speed data from the sensor. When the
        wind
        > > speed is reported as 51.0, I make the assumption that the wind
        > speed is
        > > zero (what else can you do?).
        > >
        > > Since there is no clear definition for wind gust reported via
        > > Heavyweather, I have decided to use the gust data when it is
        > available.
        > >
        > > The wind gust data, when valid, will override the wind speed
        data.
        > The
        > > wind gust uploaded to the server will then be the highest wind
        > speed
        > > found over the past 10 minutes (as defined by CWOP). This is the
        > same
        > > method used when using the currdat.lst that does not contain
        gust
        > data.
        > >
        > > If someone who is attempting to use the WS36xx history file
        > reporting
        > > would kindly install version 134 and send me some feedback, I
        > would
        > > appreciate it.
        > >
        > > If you have any other recommendation for using this somewhat
        > random
        > > wind gust value, let me know.
        > >
        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2"
        > <jjantti2@y...>
        > > wrote:

        > let me
        > > >
        > > > Hands up here!!
        > > >
        > > > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
        > > > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing
        > > > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind
        > speed
        > > > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a
        > conclusion
        > > > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these
        findings,
        > the
        > > > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
        > > > currdat.lst file.
        > > >

        > FROM Craig:
        > I just uploaded v136 and am using histoty.dat and everything
        appears
        > to work, but I want to spend a few hours uploading data and see.

        Got some good wind today. The wind speed is displaying the same as
        wind gust? I'll try v137 and see if that works.

      • jjantti2
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
          wrote:
          > Re resetting rainfall totals... I wonder if their thinking is that
          > you start a new history file and that file starts with an implied
          > zero in rainfall total. There is a place to define the file name for
          > the history data.

          Well, for my part making a new history file will only come in question
          on 01.01.2006 the earliest. Interesting thing is that I was able to
          zero the rainfall total from the weather station, but the weekly rain
          value just doesn't go anywhere no matter how many times I attempt to
          clear the record.

          > Memory leak... hmmm is all I can say.

          I think (and hope) that La Crosse is aware of the possibility of that
          and considering releasing an updated version of the program with the
          problem fixed.

          > So the sensing and toggling of these lines every few
          > seconds is why HeavyWeather is such a CPU hog. For that
          > reason alone, I don't want it running all the time.

          Good point, especially if you do something else with the computer and
          don't want any slowdowns. I'm getting 10-25% CPU usage spikes when HW
          communicates with the station, but I don't consider that very high. I
          have changed the priority of HW from Normal to Above Normal so that no
          interruption in communication would occur if another (Normal priority)
          process takes most of the processing power.

          Regards,
          Juha