WS36xx history.dat file.

  • stevech
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
      Interesting. My WS3610's history.dat file seems to have a constant 51.0
      m/sec for all records going back months. Never varies. The winds here have
      not exceeded 5 or 10 mph in that time frame. It's hard to accept that 51.0
      is a "sentinel" value by design, since one would logically choose a value
      well outside the range that be experienced, and 51m (114.1mph) is possible.

      Since my history.dat has no values other than 51m, and there are modest
      sunset breezes every day, I have to assume that the "gust" function is just
      not implemented correctly by La Crosse's supplier. The WS3610 LCD gust
      display is always zero.

      I have a MS Visual Basic program to parse weather.dat and write out a text
      (and HTML) tabular listing. Would one treat "51.0" the same as "0.0" in data
      extraction?

      A "sentinel" I have assumed is when wind direction is > 15. This seems to
      mean that the data from the outdoor unit is missing.

      Lastly, when I reset (zero) the rain total using the WS3610's LCD, this does
      not change the total in history.dat. I'm a bit confused by this too. Maybe
      I'm supposed to use their PC software to zero this? I have my PC arranged to
      run the HeavyWeather software once an hour for a minute or so and then cause
      it to stop. I've found that it has a memory leak and I can't let it run 24/7
      on my home automation server PC. Moreover, it eats a tremendous amount of
      CPU time doing the really weird I/O protocol to/from the WS3610 (not really
      serial I/O). So I find it best to automatically run it briefly once an hour.

      Steve C

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
        Steve,

        Interesting.

        When I reviewed Craigs data, there is a definite correlation betweeen windspeed above 2 mph and the wind gust field. When there are no winds, the field always contains 51. Maybe during the next windy data, you could let it run for more than a minute or two and see what it records over a period of time?

        My guess is that very few people have ever reported a real 114 mph wind speed. Chances are the unit would be ripped off of the roof in which case Lacrosse would be off the hook for inaccurate data. ;)

        I decided to use the wind gust value when it is reported (not 51). If you are reporting wind speed, you can have the wind gust override the wind speed when it is present. To say that the wind gust is zero is not really accurate so far as the definition of wind gust goes. Wind gust is the highest wind speed seen over the past 10 minutes.

        The definition of wind gust used by LaCrosse could mean just about anything. My assumption is that it is the maximum wind speed seen over some unknown period of time. It could be a period of 10 seconds or 10 minutes. I will use it to report the highest wind speed over 10 minutes.

        Did you try to reset the rain totals using the software yet?

        Also, are you running the latest version of Heavyweather Pro? Version 1.1? I noticed on another forum that a user was having CPU loading and crashes using the shipped version of Heavyweather Pro?

        If Pro is a CPU hog, that would not surprise me as Heavyweather 1.0 Beta is as well. I start heavyweather in a batch file (that is added to my start-up folder). The batch file contains the following lines:

        @echo off
        start /SEPARATE /BELOWNORMAL "" "heavy weather.exe"

        That may or may not work for your Pro version as it may actually need higher CPU utilization during communication as it appears to make heavy use of the handshake lines. Only one way to find out.

        Let me know what you find.

        Thanks.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • jjantti2
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@s...>
          wrote:

          > Lastly, when I reset (zero) the rain total using the WS3610's LCD,
          > this does not change the total in history.dat. I'm a bit confused
          > by this too. Maybe I'm supposed to use their PC software to zero
          > this?

          This seems to be a problem in the WS3600-series weather stations
          altogether. For my part, the weekly rain amount refuses to zero itself
          from both LCD and HeavyWeather. Trying to reset the value in
          HeavyWeather only seem to refresh the date and time of the "new" high
          record. I suspect this is bug in HeavyWeather.

          > I have my PC arranged to run the HeavyWeather software once
          > an hour for a minute or so and then cause it to stop. I've found
          > that it has a memory leak and I can't let it run 24/7 on my home
          > automation server PC.

          That's strange. I haven't encountered any memory leakage in my server,
          where HW is running. HeavyWeather relies on some system DLLs to
          function. If one of them is replaced by another program, it's likely
          that the memory leak is caused by a faulty DLL. Another option is that
          the problem was found and fixed on the European version of HW, but not
          in the US version. (A bit far fetched thought, but a possible one).

          > Moreover, it eats a tremendous amount of CPU time doing the really
          > weird I/O protocol to/from the WS3610 (not really serial I/O).
          > So I find it best to automatically run it briefly once an hour.

          That's normal (at least for La Crosse). The reason is that
          HeavyWeather is actually responsible for all COM-port transactions.
          One thing you could try is to obtain a USB->COM converter. It might
          lower CPU consumption a bit.
        • stevech
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
            Re resetting rainfall totals... I wonder if their thinking is that you start
            a new history file and that file starts with an implied zero in rainfall
            total. There is a place to define the file name for the history data.

            Memory leak... hmmm is all I can say.

            CPU time: The WS36xx, apparently unlike the prior generation (23xx?)
            products, has an RS232 serial interface, but it is used totally differently.
            I used a serial data sniffer to confirm my suspicions: The serial port
            handshaking signals are used to transfer data; the usual serial TX and RX
            data lines are simply not used. Why would they do this? Well, perhaps the
            WS36xx microprocessor has no serial UART or someone thought using the
            control lines would be faster or allow longer cables. I do know I've never
            seen this done on any other product. So the sensing and toggling of these
            lines every few seconds is why HeavyWeather is such a CPU hog. For that
            reason alone, I don't want it running all the time.

            Steve

            > Lastly, when I reset (zero) the rain total using the WS3610's LCD,
            > this does not change the total in history.dat. I'm a bit confused
            > by this too. Maybe I'm supposed to use their PC software to zero
            > this?

            This seems to be a problem in the WS3600-series weather stations
            altogether. For my part, the weekly rain amount refuses to zero itself
            from both LCD and HeavyWeather. Trying to reset the value in
            HeavyWeather only seem to refresh the date and time of the "new" high
            record. I suspect this is bug in HeavyWeather.

            > I have my PC arranged to run the HeavyWeather software once
            > an hour for a minute or so and then cause it to stop. I've found
            > that it has a memory leak and I can't let it run 24/7 on my home
            > automation server PC.

            That's strange. I haven't encountered any memory leakage in my server,
            where HW is running. HeavyWeather relies on some system DLLs to
            function. If one of them is replaced by another program, it's likely
            that the memory leak is caused by a faulty DLL. Another option is that
            the problem was found and fixed on the European version of HW, but not
            in the US version. (A bit far fetched thought, but a possible one).

            > Moreover, it eats a tremendous amount of CPU time doing the really
            > weird I/O protocol to/from the WS3610 (not really serial I/O).
            > So I find it best to automatically run it briefly once an hour.

            That's normal (at least for La Crosse). The reason is that
            HeavyWeather is actually responsible for all COM-port transactions.
            One thing you could try is to obtain a USB->COM converter. It might
            lower CPU consumption a bit.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • cgrosby
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "cgrosby" <cgrosby@h...>

> [...]
              > > wrote:

              > let me
              > > >
              > > > Hands up here!!
              > > >
              > > > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
              > > > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing
              > > > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind
              > speed
              > > > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a
              > conclusion
              > > > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these
              findings,
              > the
              > > > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
              > > > currdat.lst file.
              > > >

              > FROM Craig:
              > I just uploaded v136 and am using histoty.dat and everything
              appears
              > to work, but I want to spend a few hours uploading data and see.

              Got some good wind today. The wind speed is displaying the same as
              wind gust? I'll try v137 and see if that works.

            • jjantti2
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
                wrote:
                > Re resetting rainfall totals... I wonder if their thinking is that
                > you start a new history file and that file starts with an implied
                > zero in rainfall total. There is a place to define the file name for
                > the history data.

                Well, for my part making a new history file will only come in question
                on 01.01.2006 the earliest. Interesting thing is that I was able to
                zero the rainfall total from the weather station, but the weekly rain
                value just doesn't go anywhere no matter how many times I attempt to
                clear the record.

                > Memory leak... hmmm is all I can say.

                I think (and hope) that La Crosse is aware of the possibility of that
                and considering releasing an updated version of the program with the
                problem fixed.

                > So the sensing and toggling of these lines every few
                > seconds is why HeavyWeather is such a CPU hog. For that
                > reason alone, I don't want it running all the time.

                Good point, especially if you do something else with the computer and
                don't want any slowdowns. I'm getting 10-25% CPU usage spikes when HW
                communicates with the station, but I don't consider that very high. I
                have changed the priority of HW from Normal to Above Normal so that no
                interruption in communication would occur if another (Normal priority)
                process takes most of the processing power.

                Regards,
                Juha