Re: Support for WS36xx history.dat file.

  • jjantti2
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005

      > If someone who is attempting to use the WS36xx history file
      > reporting would kindly install version 134 and send me some
      > feedback, I would appreciate it.

      I will install the new version by the start of November (WUHU is
      running in a "production" server).

      > If you have any other recommendation for using this somewhat random
      > wind gust value, let me know.

      Could it be possible to just discard the value if HeavyWeather decides
      to push it in case of no gust?
    • cgrosby
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
        <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

        > WS36xx history.dat findings (does not apply to VWS or WS32).
        >
        > I viewed the history.dat file sent to me by Craig who had also
        found
        > this defect.
        >
        > The values for that field (wind gust) are changing over time
        however
        > this field often contains the value 51.0 (meter per second).
        >
        > After reviewing the data, it appears that 51.0 is used as
        a "sentinel
        > value". When the wind speed is low (~2.0 m/s) the gust speed is
        > reported as 51.0. I can only assume that gust data is not
        available.

        > I have also found several instances where the wind speed value
        also
        > contains 51.0. I can only assume that the station experienced an
        error
        > when collecting the wind speed data from the sensor. When the wind
        > speed is reported as 51.0, I make the assumption that the wind
        speed is
        > zero (what else can you do?).
        >
        > Since there is no clear definition for wind gust reported via
        > Heavyweather, I have decided to use the gust data when it is
        available.

        > The wind gust data, when valid, will override the wind speed data.
        The
        > wind gust uploaded to the server will then be the highest wind
        speed
        > found over the past 10 minutes (as defined by CWOP). This is the
        same
        > method used when using the currdat.lst that does not contain gust
        data.

        > If someone who is attempting to use the WS36xx history file
        reporting
        > would kindly install version 134 and send me some feedback, I
        would
        > appreciate it.
        >
        > If you have any other recommendation for using this somewhat
        random
        > wind gust value, let me know.
        >
        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2"
        <jjantti2@y...>
        > wrote:

        > > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Also, if anyone else is using the WS36xx history file please
        let me
        > > > know if your station is uploading normally or not.
        > >
        > > Hands up here!!
        > >
        > > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
        > > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing a
        > > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind
        speed
        > > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a
        conclusion
        > > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these findings,
        the
        > > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
        > > currdat.lst file.

        FROM Craig:
        I just uploaded v136 and am using histoty.dat and everything appears
        to work, but I want to spend a few hours uploading data and see.
        I'll keep you posted.
      • stevech
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
          Interesting. My WS3610's history.dat file seems to have a constant 51.0
          m/sec for all records going back months. Never varies. The winds here have
          not exceeded 5 or 10 mph in that time frame. It's hard to accept that 51.0
          is a "sentinel" value by design, since one would logically choose a value
          well outside the range that be experienced, and 51m (114.1mph) is possible.

          Since my history.dat has no values other than 51m, and there are modest
          sunset breezes every day, I have to assume that the "gust" function is just
          not implemented correctly by La Crosse's supplier. The WS3610 LCD gust
          display is always zero.

          I have a MS Visual Basic program to parse weather.dat and write out a text
          (and HTML) tabular listing. Would one treat "51.0" the same as "0.0" in data
          extraction?

          A "sentinel" I have assumed is when wind direction is > 15. This seems to
          mean that the data from the outdoor unit is missing.

          Lastly, when I reset (zero) the rain total using the WS3610's LCD, this does
          not change the total in history.dat. I'm a bit confused by this too. Maybe
          I'm supposed to use their PC software to zero this? I have my PC arranged to
          run the HeavyWeather software once an hour for a minute or so and then cause
          it to stop. I've found that it has a memory leak and I can't let it run 24/7
          on my home automation server PC. Moreover, it eats a tremendous amount of
          CPU time doing the really weird I/O protocol to/from the WS3610 (not really
          serial I/O). So I find it best to automatically run it briefly once an hour.

          Steve C

          WS36xx history.dat findings (does not apply to VWS or WS32).

          I viewed the history.dat file sent to me by Craig who had also found
          this defect.

          The values for that field (wind gust) are changing over time however
          this field often contains the value 51.0 (meter per second).

          After reviewing the data, it appears that 51.0 is used as a "sentinel
          value". When the wind speed is low (~2.0 m/s) the gust speed is
          reported as 51.0. I can only assume that gust data is not available.

          I have also found several instances where the wind speed value also
          contains 51.0. I can only assume that the station experienced an error
          when collecting the wind speed data from the sensor. When the wind
          speed is reported as 51.0, I make the assumption that the wind speed is
          zero (what else can you do?).

          Since there is no clear definition for wind gust reported via
          Heavyweather, I have decided to use the gust data when it is available.

          The wind gust data, when valid, will override the wind speed data. The
          wind gust uploaded to the server will then be the highest wind speed
          found over the past 10 minutes (as defined by CWOP). This is the same
          method used when using the currdat.lst that does not contain gust data.

          If someone who is attempting to use the WS36xx history file reporting
          would kindly install version 134 and send me some feedback, I would
          appreciate it.

          If you have any other recommendation for using this somewhat random
          wind gust value, let me know.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2" <jjantti2@y...>

          > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > Also, if anyone else is using the WS36xx history file please let me
          > > know if your station is uploading normally or not.
          >
          > Hands up here!!
          >
          > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
          > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing a
          > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind speed
          > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a conclusion
          > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these findings, the
          > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
          > currdat.lst file.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Heath Smith
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
            Steve,

            Interesting.

            When I reviewed Craigs data, there is a definite correlation betweeen windspeed above 2 mph and the wind gust field. When there are no winds, the field always contains 51. Maybe during the next windy data, you could let it run for more than a minute or two and see what it records over a period of time?

            My guess is that very few people have ever reported a real 114 mph wind speed. Chances are the unit would be ripped off of the roof in which case Lacrosse would be off the hook for inaccurate data. ;)

            I decided to use the wind gust value when it is reported (not 51). If you are reporting wind speed, you can have the wind gust override the wind speed when it is present. To say that the wind gust is zero is not really accurate so far as the definition of wind gust goes. Wind gust is the highest wind speed seen over the past 10 minutes.

            The definition of wind gust used by LaCrosse could mean just about anything. My assumption is that it is the maximum wind speed seen over some unknown period of time. It could be a period of 10 seconds or 10 minutes. I will use it to report the highest wind speed over 10 minutes.

            Did you try to reset the rain totals using the software yet?

            Also, are you running the latest version of Heavyweather Pro? Version 1.1? I noticed on another forum that a user was having CPU loading and crashes using the shipped version of Heavyweather Pro?

            If Pro is a CPU hog, that would not surprise me as Heavyweather 1.0 Beta is as well. I start heavyweather in a batch file (that is added to my start-up folder). The batch file contains the following lines:

            @echo off
            start /SEPARATE /BELOWNORMAL "" "heavy weather.exe"

            That may or may not work for your Pro version as it may actually need higher CPU utilization during communication as it appears to make heavy use of the handshake lines. Only one way to find out.

            Let me know what you find.

            Thanks.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • jjantti2
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@s...>
              wrote:

              > Lastly, when I reset (zero) the rain total using the WS3610's LCD,
              > this does not change the total in history.dat. I'm a bit confused
              > by this too. Maybe I'm supposed to use their PC software to zero
              > this?

              This seems to be a problem in the WS3600-series weather stations
              altogether. For my part, the weekly rain amount refuses to zero itself
              from both LCD and HeavyWeather. Trying to reset the value in
              HeavyWeather only seem to refresh the date and time of the "new" high
              record. I suspect this is bug in HeavyWeather.

              > I have my PC arranged to run the HeavyWeather software once
              > an hour for a minute or so and then cause it to stop. I've found
              > that it has a memory leak and I can't let it run 24/7 on my home
              > automation server PC.

              That's strange. I haven't encountered any memory leakage in my server,
              where HW is running. HeavyWeather relies on some system DLLs to
              function. If one of them is replaced by another program, it's likely
              that the memory leak is caused by a faulty DLL. Another option is that
              the problem was found and fixed on the European version of HW, but not
              in the US version. (A bit far fetched thought, but a possible one).

              > Moreover, it eats a tremendous amount of CPU time doing the really
              > weird I/O protocol to/from the WS3610 (not really serial I/O).
              > So I find it best to automatically run it briefly once an hour.

              That's normal (at least for La Crosse). The reason is that
              HeavyWeather is actually responsible for all COM-port transactions.
              One thing you could try is to obtain a USB->COM converter. It might
              lower CPU consumption a bit.
            • stevech
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
                Re resetting rainfall totals... I wonder if their thinking is that you start
                a new history file and that file starts with an implied zero in rainfall
                total. There is a place to define the file name for the history data.

                Memory leak... hmmm is all I can say.

                CPU time: The WS36xx, apparently unlike the prior generation (23xx?)
                products, has an RS232 serial interface, but it is used totally differently.
                I used a serial data sniffer to confirm my suspicions: The serial port
                handshaking signals are used to transfer data; the usual serial TX and RX
                data lines are simply not used. Why would they do this? Well, perhaps the
                WS36xx microprocessor has no serial UART or someone thought using the
                control lines would be faster or allow longer cables. I do know I've never
                seen this done on any other product. So the sensing and toggling of these
                lines every few seconds is why HeavyWeather is such a CPU hog. For that
                reason alone, I don't want it running all the time.

                Steve

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "cgrosby" <cgrosby@h...>

> [...]
                  > > wrote:

                  > let me
                  > > >
                  > > > Hands up here!!
                  > > >
                  > > > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
                  > > > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing
                  > > > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind
                  > speed
                  > > > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a
                  > conclusion
                  > > > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these
                  findings,
                  > the
                  > > > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
                  > > > currdat.lst file.
                  > > >

                  > FROM Craig:
                  > I just uploaded v136 and am using histoty.dat and everything
                  appears
                  > to work, but I want to spend a few hours uploading data and see.

                  Got some good wind today. The wind speed is displaying the same as
                  wind gust? I'll try v137 and see if that works.

                • jjantti2
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
                    wrote:
                    > Re resetting rainfall totals... I wonder if their thinking is that
                    > you start a new history file and that file starts with an implied
                    > zero in rainfall total. There is a place to define the file name for
                    > the history data.

                    Well, for my part making a new history file will only come in question
                    on 01.01.2006 the earliest. Interesting thing is that I was able to
                    zero the rainfall total from the weather station, but the weekly rain
                    value just doesn't go anywhere no matter how many times I attempt to
                    clear the record.

                    > Memory leak... hmmm is all I can say.

                    I think (and hope) that La Crosse is aware of the possibility of that
                    and considering releasing an updated version of the program with the
                    problem fixed.

                    > So the sensing and toggling of these lines every few
                    > seconds is why HeavyWeather is such a CPU hog. For that
                    > reason alone, I don't want it running all the time.

                    Good point, especially if you do something else with the computer and
                    don't want any slowdowns. I'm getting 10-25% CPU usage spikes when HW
                    communicates with the station, but I don't consider that very high. I
                    have changed the priority of HW from Normal to Above Normal so that no
                    interruption in communication would occur if another (Normal priority)
                    process takes most of the processing power.

                    Regards,
                    Juha