Re: Got problems sending your weather data to WU and CWOP? This may help you.

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 2005
      Juha,

      It appears that the path for currdat.lst may be hardcoded
      (c:\heavyweather\) in Heavyweather.

      If Heavyweather is correctly writing the currdat.lst file, WUHU
      should be able to monitor the file regardless of where the file is
      located.

      I believe I attempted to relocate the history.dat file and ran in
      to the same problem you described (I assumed that changing the path
      to history.dat would automatically change the path for currdat.lst as
      well). As I recall, the currdat.lst file would only work in the
      c:\heavyweather\ directory (the default).

      If anyone has found a method for relocating currdat.lst, please let
      me know.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2"
      <jjantti2@y...> wrote:

      > Hi all.
      >
      > I have discovered an interesting bug (or feature, take your pick) in
      > the way WUHU handles the currdat.lst and history.dat files when
      > sending them to both WU and CWOP.
      >
      > Here are the specs of the computer shortly:
      > * Intel Pentium III 933MHz
      > * 512MB RAM
      > * 40GB HDD (Divided to 8GB NTFS and 32GB FAT32)
      > * Running Windows Server 2003 standard, with SP1.
      > -------------
      > * LaCrosse Technologies WS3600 Touch-screen Weather Station
      > * Plugged into COM1
      >
      > The HeavyWeather software was installed to
      > D:\Program Files\HeavyWeather and WUHU to D:\Program Files\WUHU,
      > accordingly with default settings.
      >
      > Heavyweather was configured to gather data every 1 minute and WUHU
      > send data every 5 minutes (300 seconds). The place where HW was
      > gathering its data was in the same directory as its executable.
      >
      > For reasons unknown to me, WUHU sent no data to either service. I
      > tried pointing the location of the currdat.lst file, changing and
      > pointing the location of history.dat, even using the old '16-bit
      > directory length (direct~1)' method and tried lowering the minimum
      > send interval to 180 seconds, all to no avail.I double-checked that
      HW
      > was throwing out the data and that connections to the servers were
      > working, but nothing helped.
      >
      > After three days of constant and frustating 'trial and error' runs,
      > came across the solution:
      >
      > When you install WUHU for the first time, it points the location of
      > the currdat.lst file to directory C:\Heavyweather. I decided to
      create
      > that particular directory and was surprised to find out that all the
      > sudden once empty directory was populated by a currdat.lst file -
      > automatically updating. No changes to HW were made.
      >
      > I started WUHU and found out it started sending data at the desired
      > interval without any problems.
      >
      > I have no clue why the currdat.lst file was created to the folder
      > C:\Heavyweather as soon it was created, nor have I any clue as to
      why
      > WUHU refused to send any data when the file(s) was (were) pointed to
      > D:\Program Files\HeavyWeather. I'm using the Euro version of HW, so
      it
      > may be that it still has some unaddressed issues.
      >
      > I hope this helps some of you.

    • jjantti2
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 17, 2005
        > I believe I attempted to relocate the history.dat file and ran in
        > to the same problem you described (I assumed that changing the path
        > to history.dat would automatically change the path for currdat.lst
        > as well). As I recall, the currdat.lst file would only work in the
        > c:\heavyweather\ directory (the default).

        The directory change in HeavyWeather program only affects the
        history.dat file, but it keeps track of the currdat.lst file in the
        same directory as its executable. I other words: I have two concurrent
        places to get the currdat.lst; D:\Program Files\HeavyWeather and
        C:\HeavyWeather, but only the latter works in WUHU.