Re: WeatherUnderground - Server Problems?

  • David Higgins
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2005
      Thanks Juha, that did the trick. I just set mine to 900 sec
      intervals.

      WUHU/Weatherunderground has dropped just over 200 points in the last
      2 days (I was set to 300 second intervals)

      Cheers

      David

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2"
      <jjantti2@y...> wrote:

      > > I have noticed over the last couple of days problems trying to
      access
      > > weather underground over the internet and when I have, I've
      notice
      > > whole chuncks of my data missing (or never made it). I know
      it's not
      > > me or my connection because CWOP isn't missing any data. Anyone
      know
      > > whats going on?
      >
      > I've noticed the same thing during the day, so you're not alone.
      From
      > my point of view it was only a small amount of data (about 10-20
      data
      > sets) that went missing. This would be somewhere between 50-100
      > minutes if your WUHU software sends data every 5 minutes.
      >
      > > I noticed from the previous post that mention was made for
      adjusting
      > > the upload interval for WUHU. I must have missed something (or I
      > > have domestic blindness). Can someone point me to this setting?
      >
      > As I'm writing this post from a different computer, I have no
      access
      > to the program, but as far as I remember, it's on the bottom side
      of
      > the WUHU's window, right after the settings for CWOP. By default
      it is
      > adjusted to 300 seconds.
      >
      > I don't know how recommendable it is to change that setting, but
      for
      > my part, 300 seconds is a good interval. During that time, the
      weather
      > statistics tend to change a bit. As an example; adjusting it to
      throw
      > data every minute would not only increase network traffic, but may
      > also result in identical data being sent to WU and CWOP, which
      really
      > doesn't increase the overall accuracy of the graphs.
      >
      > If one really wants to change the upload interval, I would
      recommend
      > 120 or 180 seconds minimum. Practically any other interval will do
      > just fine, but remember that weather stations usually drop data
      every
      > minute the fastest.
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > Juha
      > WU : IUUSIMAA2
      > CWOP: CW4473

    • jjantti2
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2005
        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
        <higginsdj@b...> wrote:

        > Thanks Juha, that did the trick. I just set mine to 900 sec
        > intervals.
        >
        > WUHU/Weatherunderground has dropped just over 200 points in the last
        > 2 days (I was set to 300 second intervals)

        For two days that's pretty much. You should check, what's the nearest
        APRS2-server from your location to minimize the dropping of data sets.
        Since I live in Europe, I primarily send my data to socal.aprs2.net
        and if that fails, to germany.aprs2.net

        For the list of all aprs2-servers, visit www.aprs2.net

        For my part, I lost only 10 sets and WUHU has resumed normal operation
        since. So for my part, only about an hour's worth of data went missing.

        Best Regards,
        Juha
        WU : IUUSIMAA2
        CWOP: CW4473