Re: v197, reduced precision on weather data except for pressure and rainfall.

    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2006
      I am not sure I understand this latest update.
      I know our console's only show the 10ths, but WUHU does show the 100th
      and it is not always a zero. For instance my low temp was 37.76
      I know that I do not need that precise of a reading, but I am confused
      as to why it would be better to drop the last digit.

      Thanks, Steve
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2006
        I also looked at the raw data for V197 vs V196 and did not see any
        difference. I must be missing something.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2006
          Steve,

          I am pretty sure that the resolution of the weather data except for
          the pressure and rainfall have a 1/10 resolution.

          Here are the specs from the manual:

          Outdoor data:
          Transmission Distance in Open Field: 100ft max.
          Temperature Range : -21.8°F to +157.8°F (show OFL" if outside range)
          Resolution : 0.2°F
          Measuring Range Rel. Humidity : 20% to 95% (if the relative humidity
          is less than 20% or greater than 95%, it will display 19% or 96%)
          Rain Volume Display : 0 to 39.37 inches (1h and 24h rainfall) 0 to
          98.38 inches (Total rainfall)
          Resolution : 0.1mm
          Wind Speed : 0 to 111.8 mph
          Resolution : 0.1 mph
          Wind Direction : Graphic Resolution 22.5 Degrees, Numerical
          Resolution, Letter format

          Indoor data
          Pressure/ temperature : 4 times per minute
          Indoor Temperature Range : 14.1°F to + 139.8°F (shows "OFL" if
          outside range)
          Resolution : 0.2°F
          Measuring Range Rel. Humidity : 20% to 95% (if the relative humidity
          is less than 20% or greater than 95%, it will display 19% or 96%)
          Resolution : 1%
          Measuring Range Air Pressure : 8.85 inHg to 32.45 inHg (Standard air
          pressure at an altitude of 30,000 ft is around 8.85 inHg)
          Resolution . 0.01 inHg

          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2006
            Steve,

            If you mean the raw data in the HW Pro history file, it will not
            change. They had already limited the precision of the weather variables
            (except for rain and air pressure data).

            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2006
              1st I was refering to the decimal places in WUHU. If the console does
              not have that resolution, then how does WUHU get that extra decimal
              place on th etemperature & dew Point?
              The raw data I was refering to was at the findu site.
              I am just trying to understand all this.
              Thanks, Steve
            • Juha Jäntti
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2006

                > I have updated the software to reduce the precision for all weather
                > data except for pressure and rainfall (these require 2 digits of
                > precision).
                >
                > On the upload side, I have restarted the timer prior to the upload.
                > This should reduce the time drift somewhat. Since users can specify
                > any minimum upload period, (from 0 to N seconds), I have decided to
                > not base the upload interval on the clock time at this point. That
                > may change later.
                >
                > The latest version, v197 is available for Beta testing.

                I'm dropping in for the Beta test.

                My suggestion for the one digit vs. two digit temperature dilemma is
                that you should add an option in WUHU to enable the two-digit mode for
                those who see it useful.

                Best Regards,
                Juha
                ----------------------------
                AWEKAS: Helsinki, Kannelmäki
                CWOP : CW4473
                W.U. : IUUSIMAA2
                ----------------------------
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                  Steve,

                  Because the console returns metric units, and is converted to decimal
                  using conversion factors, this gives the impression that there is
                  greater precision that there really is.

                  If you look at the graph data samples (pick a sample on the graph), it
                  shows 2 digits of precision (ie. 56.02) for outside temperature. If you
                  click the 'Data' tab and view the data, it is listed as 56.0.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                    Ok, the old conversion factor. Ok thanks for the explaination, I knew
                    it had to be something simple that I was missing.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                      V197 Up and running fine.

                      Miss that digit:<

                      Just kidding