v197, reduced precision on weather data except for pressure and rainfall.

    Message 1 of 11 , May 2 10:13 AM
      vize84,

      I have updated the software to reduce the precision for all weather
      data except for pressure and rainfall (these require 2 digits of
      precision).

      On the upload side, I have restarted the timer prior to the upload.
      This should reduce the time drift somewhat. Since users can specify
      any minimum upload period, (from 0 to N seconds), I have decided to
      not base the upload interval on the clock time at this point. That
      may change later.

      The latest version, v197 is available for Beta testing.

      Download page:

      http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "vize84" <vize84@...>

      Message 2 of 11 , May 2 3:29 PM
        I am not sure I understand this latest update.
        I know our console's only show the 10ths, but WUHU does show the 100th
        and it is not always a zero. For instance my low temp was 37.76
        I know that I do not need that precise of a reading, but I am confused
        as to why it would be better to drop the last digit.

        Thanks, Steve
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2 4:27 PM
          I also looked at the raw data for V197 vs V196 and did not see any
          difference. I must be missing something.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 2 6:22 PM
            Steve,

            I am pretty sure that the resolution of the weather data except for
            the pressure and rainfall have a 1/10 resolution.

            Here are the specs from the manual:

            Outdoor data:
            Transmission Distance in Open Field: 100ft max.
            Temperature Range : -21.8°F to +157.8°F (show OFL" if outside range)
            Resolution : 0.2°F
            Measuring Range Rel. Humidity : 20% to 95% (if the relative humidity
            is less than 20% or greater than 95%, it will display 19% or 96%)
            Rain Volume Display : 0 to 39.37 inches (1h and 24h rainfall) 0 to
            98.38 inches (Total rainfall)
            Resolution : 0.1mm
            Wind Speed : 0 to 111.8 mph
            Resolution : 0.1 mph
            Wind Direction : Graphic Resolution 22.5 Degrees, Numerical
            Resolution, Letter format

            Indoor data
            Pressure/ temperature : 4 times per minute
            Indoor Temperature Range : 14.1°F to + 139.8°F (shows "OFL" if
            outside range)
            Resolution : 0.2°F
            Measuring Range Rel. Humidity : 20% to 95% (if the relative humidity
            is less than 20% or greater than 95%, it will display 19% or 96%)
            Resolution : 1%
            Measuring Range Air Pressure : 8.85 inHg to 32.45 inHg (Standard air
            pressure at an altitude of 30,000 ft is around 8.85 inHg)
            Resolution . 0.01 inHg

            Message 5 of 11 , May 2 6:25 PM
              Steve,

              If you mean the raw data in the HW Pro history file, it will not
              change. They had already limited the precision of the weather variables
              (except for rain and air pressure data).

              Message 6 of 11 , May 2 6:45 PM
                1st I was refering to the decimal places in WUHU. If the console does
                not have that resolution, then how does WUHU get that extra decimal
                place on th etemperature & dew Point?
                The raw data I was refering to was at the findu site.
                I am just trying to understand all this.
                Thanks, Steve
              • Juha Jäntti
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2 10:54 PM

                  > I have updated the software to reduce the precision for all weather
                  > data except for pressure and rainfall (these require 2 digits of
                  > precision).
                  >
                  > On the upload side, I have restarted the timer prior to the upload.
                  > This should reduce the time drift somewhat. Since users can specify
                  > any minimum upload period, (from 0 to N seconds), I have decided to
                  > not base the upload interval on the clock time at this point. That
                  > may change later.
                  >
                  > The latest version, v197 is available for Beta testing.

                  I'm dropping in for the Beta test.

                  My suggestion for the one digit vs. two digit temperature dilemma is
                  that you should add an option in WUHU to enable the two-digit mode for
                  those who see it useful.

                  Best Regards,
                  Juha
                  ----------------------------
                  AWEKAS: Helsinki, Kannelmäki
                  CWOP : CW4473
                  W.U. : IUUSIMAA2
                  ----------------------------
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3 5:44 AM
                    Steve,

                    Because the console returns metric units, and is converted to decimal
                    using conversion factors, this gives the impression that there is
                    greater precision that there really is.

                    If you look at the graph data samples (pick a sample on the graph), it
                    shows 2 digits of precision (ie. 56.02) for outside temperature. If you
                    click the 'Data' tab and view the data, it is listed as 56.0.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3 8:58 AM
                      Ok, the old conversion factor. Ok thanks for the explaination, I knew
                      it had to be something simple that I was missing.

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 3 4:30 PM
                        V197 Up and running fine.

                        Miss that digit:<

                        Just kidding