Re: WeatherUnderground - Server Problems?

  • jjantti2
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2005
      > I have noticed over the last couple of days problems trying to access
      > weather underground over the internet and when I have, I've notice
      > whole chuncks of my data missing (or never made it). I know it's not
      > me or my connection because CWOP isn't missing any data. Anyone know
      > whats going on?

      I've noticed the same thing during the day, so you're not alone. From
      my point of view it was only a small amount of data (about 10-20 data
      sets) that went missing. This would be somewhere between 50-100
      minutes if your WUHU software sends data every 5 minutes.

      > I noticed from the previous post that mention was made for adjusting
      > the upload interval for WUHU. I must have missed something (or I
      > have domestic blindness). Can someone point me to this setting?

      As I'm writing this post from a different computer, I have no access
      to the program, but as far as I remember, it's on the bottom side of
      the WUHU's window, right after the settings for CWOP. By default it is
      adjusted to 300 seconds.

      I don't know how recommendable it is to change that setting, but for
      my part, 300 seconds is a good interval. During that time, the weather
      statistics tend to change a bit. As an example; adjusting it to throw
      data every minute would not only increase network traffic, but may
      also result in identical data being sent to WU and CWOP, which really
      doesn't increase the overall accuracy of the graphs.

      If one really wants to change the upload interval, I would recommend
      120 or 180 seconds minimum. Practically any other interval will do
      just fine, but remember that weather stations usually drop data every
      minute the fastest.

      Best Regards,
      Juha
      WU : IUUSIMAA2
      CWOP: CW4473
    • David Higgins
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2005
        Thanks Juha, that did the trick. I just set mine to 900 sec
        intervals.

        WUHU/Weatherunderground has dropped just over 200 points in the last
        2 days (I was set to 300 second intervals)

        Cheers

        David

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2"
        <jjantti2@y...> wrote:

        > > I have noticed over the last couple of days problems trying to
        access
        > > weather underground over the internet and when I have, I've
        notice
        > > whole chuncks of my data missing (or never made it). I know
        it's not
        > > me or my connection because CWOP isn't missing any data. Anyone
        know
        > > whats going on?
        >
        > I've noticed the same thing during the day, so you're not alone.
        From
        > my point of view it was only a small amount of data (about 10-20
        data
        > sets) that went missing. This would be somewhere between 50-100
        > minutes if your WUHU software sends data every 5 minutes.
        >
        > > I noticed from the previous post that mention was made for
        adjusting
        > > the upload interval for WUHU. I must have missed something (or I
        > > have domestic blindness). Can someone point me to this setting?
        >
        > As I'm writing this post from a different computer, I have no
        access
        > to the program, but as far as I remember, it's on the bottom side
        of
        > the WUHU's window, right after the settings for CWOP. By default
        it is
        > adjusted to 300 seconds.
        >
        > I don't know how recommendable it is to change that setting, but
        for
        > my part, 300 seconds is a good interval. During that time, the
        weather
        > statistics tend to change a bit. As an example; adjusting it to
        throw
        > data every minute would not only increase network traffic, but may
        > also result in identical data being sent to WU and CWOP, which
        really
        > doesn't increase the overall accuracy of the graphs.
        >
        > If one really wants to change the upload interval, I would
        recommend
        > 120 or 180 seconds minimum. Practically any other interval will do
        > just fine, but remember that weather stations usually drop data
        every
        > minute the fastest.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Juha
        > WU : IUUSIMAA2
        > CWOP: CW4473

      • jjantti2
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 17, 2005
          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
          <higginsdj@b...> wrote:

          > Thanks Juha, that did the trick. I just set mine to 900 sec
          > intervals.
          >
          > WUHU/Weatherunderground has dropped just over 200 points in the last
          > 2 days (I was set to 300 second intervals)

          For two days that's pretty much. You should check, what's the nearest
          APRS2-server from your location to minimize the dropping of data sets.
          Since I live in Europe, I primarily send my data to socal.aprs2.net
          and if that fails, to germany.aprs2.net

          For the list of all aprs2-servers, visit www.aprs2.net

          For my part, I lost only 10 sets and WUHU has resumed normal operation
          since. So for my part, only about an hour's worth of data went missing.

          Best Regards,
          Juha
          WU : IUUSIMAA2
          CWOP: CW4473