WeatherUnderground - Server Problems?

  • David Higgins
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2005
      Hi all,

      I have noticed over the last couple of days problems trying to access
      weather underground over the internet and when I have, I've notice
      whole chuncks of my data missing (or never made it). I know it's not
      me or my connection because CWOP isn't missing any data. Anyone know
      whats going on?

      I noticed from the previous post that mention was made for adjusting
      the upload interval for WUHU. I must have missed something (or I have
      domestic blindness). Can someone point me to this setting?

      Cheers

      David
    • jjantti2
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 16, 2005
        > I have noticed over the last couple of days problems trying to access
        > weather underground over the internet and when I have, I've notice
        > whole chuncks of my data missing (or never made it). I know it's not
        > me or my connection because CWOP isn't missing any data. Anyone know
        > whats going on?

        I've noticed the same thing during the day, so you're not alone. From
        my point of view it was only a small amount of data (about 10-20 data
        sets) that went missing. This would be somewhere between 50-100
        minutes if your WUHU software sends data every 5 minutes.

        > I noticed from the previous post that mention was made for adjusting
        > the upload interval for WUHU. I must have missed something (or I
        > have domestic blindness). Can someone point me to this setting?

        As I'm writing this post from a different computer, I have no access
        to the program, but as far as I remember, it's on the bottom side of
        the WUHU's window, right after the settings for CWOP. By default it is
        adjusted to 300 seconds.

        I don't know how recommendable it is to change that setting, but for
        my part, 300 seconds is a good interval. During that time, the weather
        statistics tend to change a bit. As an example; adjusting it to throw
        data every minute would not only increase network traffic, but may
        also result in identical data being sent to WU and CWOP, which really
        doesn't increase the overall accuracy of the graphs.

        If one really wants to change the upload interval, I would recommend
        120 or 180 seconds minimum. Practically any other interval will do
        just fine, but remember that weather stations usually drop data every
        minute the fastest.

        Best Regards,
        Juha
        WU : IUUSIMAA2
        CWOP: CW4473
      • David Higgins
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 17, 2005
          Thanks Juha, that did the trick. I just set mine to 900 sec
          intervals.

          WUHU/Weatherunderground has dropped just over 200 points in the last
          2 days (I was set to 300 second intervals)

          Cheers

          David

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2"
          <jjantti2@y...> wrote:

          > > I have noticed over the last couple of days problems trying to
          access
          > > weather underground over the internet and when I have, I've
          notice
          > > whole chuncks of my data missing (or never made it). I know
          it's not
          > > me or my connection because CWOP isn't missing any data. Anyone
          know
          > > whats going on?
          >
          > I've noticed the same thing during the day, so you're not alone.
          From
          > my point of view it was only a small amount of data (about 10-20
          data
          > sets) that went missing. This would be somewhere between 50-100
          > minutes if your WUHU software sends data every 5 minutes.
          >
          > > I noticed from the previous post that mention was made for
          adjusting
          > > the upload interval for WUHU. I must have missed something (or I
          > > have domestic blindness). Can someone point me to this setting?
          >
          > As I'm writing this post from a different computer, I have no
          access
          > to the program, but as far as I remember, it's on the bottom side
          of
          > the WUHU's window, right after the settings for CWOP. By default
          it is
          > adjusted to 300 seconds.
          >
          > I don't know how recommendable it is to change that setting, but
          for
          > my part, 300 seconds is a good interval. During that time, the
          weather
          > statistics tend to change a bit. As an example; adjusting it to
          throw
          > data every minute would not only increase network traffic, but may
          > also result in identical data being sent to WU and CWOP, which
          really
          > doesn't increase the overall accuracy of the graphs.
          >
          > If one really wants to change the upload interval, I would
          recommend
          > 120 or 180 seconds minimum. Practically any other interval will do
          > just fine, but remember that weather stations usually drop data
          every
          > minute the fastest.
          >
          > Best Regards,
          > Juha
          > WU : IUUSIMAA2
          > CWOP: CW4473

        • jjantti2
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 17, 2005
            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
            <higginsdj@b...> wrote:

            > Thanks Juha, that did the trick. I just set mine to 900 sec
            > intervals.
            >
            > WUHU/Weatherunderground has dropped just over 200 points in the last
            > 2 days (I was set to 300 second intervals)

            For two days that's pretty much. You should check, what's the nearest
            APRS2-server from your location to minimize the dropping of data sets.
            Since I live in Europe, I primarily send my data to socal.aprs2.net
            and if that fails, to germany.aprs2.net

            For the list of all aprs2-servers, visit www.aprs2.net

            For my part, I lost only 10 sets and WUHU has resumed normal operation
            since. So for my part, only about an hour's worth of data went missing.

            Best Regards,
            Juha
            WU : IUUSIMAA2
            CWOP: CW4473