Re: Support for WS36xx history.dat file.

  • David Higgins
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 28, 2005
      I haven't encountered any bugs. All the data appears to be just what
      the unit is producing though I haven't done a full comparison as yet
      (but the gust information appears to be correct now)

      Cheers

      David

      <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

      > David,
      >
      > Do you have any test results for v132 with 36xx history.dat support?
      >
      > Anyone else with a 36xx try it?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
      > <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
      > > Thanks. Installed and testing now.
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > >
      > > David

      > > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have added a new version that is available for testing that
      > will
      > > > support the WS36xx history.dat file monitoring. It is available
      > from
      > > > the alternative download site (see main page). The file is
      > > > WUHU132_32.zip.
      > > >
      > > > I took a guess on the "New rain" field to mean 1 hour rainfall.
      > If
      > > this
      > > > is not the case, let me know and I will change it.
      > > >
      > > > If you have a WS36xx and would like to give it a go, please
      send
      > me
      > > > feedback after testing.
      > > >
      > > > Please be sure to check your WU and CWOP uploaded data for
      > accuracy.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks.
    • cgrosby
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 15, 2005
        I installed WUHU132-32.zip and it uploads to weather underground and
        CWOP fine, but I am encountering a problem with wind gust and dew
        point. I have a WS3610 and am using history.dat. The wind gust always
        reports 120 mph and dew point is always 0.0 F

        I can send you my history.dat file if you'd like.
        Any help would be appreciated.

        Thanks, Craig

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 15, 2005
          Craig,

          According to the information that I have, dewpoint is not stored in
          the history.dat. Can you view dewpoint in the history view?

          Please send me your history.dat (wuhu_software@...)so that I
          can check out the 120mph wind gust problem. According to the
          information I have, the value is stored as meters per second in the
          history file.

          Also, send to me your WU ID and CWOP ID if you have them so that I
          can view the raw data uploaded.

          Thanks.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "cgrosby" <cgrosby@h...>
          wrote:

          > I installed WUHU132-32.zip and it uploads to weather underground and
          > CWOP fine, but I am encountering a problem with wind gust and dew
          > point. I have a WS3610 and am using history.dat. The wind gust
          always
          > reports 120 mph and dew point is always 0.0 F
          >
          > I can send you my history.dat file if you'd like.
          > Any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks, Craig
          >

          > -- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
          > <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I haven't encountered any bugs. All the data appears to be just
          what
          > > the unit is producing though I haven't done a full comparison as
          yet
          > > (but the gust information appears to be correct now)
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > David

          > > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > David,
          > > >
          > > > Do you have any test results for v132 with 36xx history.dat
          support?

          > > > Anyone else with a 36xx try it?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks.
          > > >
          > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"

          > > > will
          > > > from

          > > > If

          > > send
          > > > me

          > > > accuracy.

        • cgrosby
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 16, 2005
            Just for kicks I switched to using the currdat.1st file, and the
            wind reading appears to be accurate now, but I still can't get a
            reading for dew point? It still reads 0.0 F
            Do you want me to continue to use currdat.1st or go back to
            history.dat? I'd really like this to work and report correctly.
            Thanks, Craig

            wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software"

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 16, 2005
              As I mentioned in the other post, I do not think that the dewpoint is
              stored in the history.dat file. Can you view your history and see the
              dewpoint? I should probably update the program so that it uploads an
              empty field rather than zero.

              I would like to figure out what is going on with the windspeed and
              history.dat file.

              If you could, send me the history.dat, and your weather underground
              ID.

              Also, if anyone else is using the WS36xx history file please let me
              know if your station is uploading normally or not.

              wrote:

              > Just for kicks I switched to using the currdat.1st file, and the
              > wind reading appears to be accurate now, but I still can't get a
              > reading for dew point? It still reads 0.0 F
              > Do you want me to continue to use currdat.1st or go back to
              > history.dat? I'd really like this to work and report correctly.
              > Thanks, Craig

              > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Craig,
              > >
              > > According to the information that I have, dewpoint is not
              stored
              > in
              > > the history.dat. Can you view dewpoint in the history view?
              > >
              > > Please send me your history.dat (wuhu_software@y...)so that I
              > > can check out the 120mph wind gust problem. According to the
              > > information I have, the value is stored as meters per second in
              > the
              > > history file.
              > >
              > > Also, send to me your WU ID and CWOP ID if you have them so
              that
              > > can view the raw data uploaded.
              > >
              > > Thanks.
              > >
              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "cgrosby"
              > <cgrosby@h...>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I installed WUHU132-32.zip and it uploads to weather
              underground
              > and
              > > > CWOP fine, but I am encountering a problem with wind gust and
              dew
              > > > point. I have a WS3610 and am using history.dat. The wind gust
              > > always
              > > > reports 120 mph and dew point is always 0.0 F
              > > >
              > > > I can send you my history.dat file if you'd like.
              > > > Any help would be appreciated.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks, Craig
              > > >

              > > > -- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"

              > just
              > > what
              > as
              > > yet

              > > support?

              > wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software"

              > > that
              > > available
              > is

              > > rainfall.

              > please

              > for

            • jjantti2
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

                > Also, if anyone else is using the WS36xx history file please let me
                > know if your station is uploading normally or not.

                Hands up here!!

                I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
                started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing a
                constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind speed
                it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a conclusion
                this was an error condition. So, in the light of these findings, the
                station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
                currdat.lst file.
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                  WS36xx history.dat findings (does not apply to VWS or WS32).

                  I viewed the history.dat file sent to me by Craig who had also found
                  this defect.

                  The values for that field (wind gust) are changing over time however
                  this field often contains the value 51.0 (meter per second).

                  After reviewing the data, it appears that 51.0 is used as a "sentinel
                  value". When the wind speed is low (~2.0 m/s) the gust speed is
                  reported as 51.0. I can only assume that gust data is not available.

                  I have also found several instances where the wind speed value also
                  contains 51.0. I can only assume that the station experienced an error
                  when collecting the wind speed data from the sensor. When the wind
                  speed is reported as 51.0, I make the assumption that the wind speed is
                  zero (what else can you do?).

                  Since there is no clear definition for wind gust reported via
                  Heavyweather, I have decided to use the gust data when it is available.

                  The wind gust data, when valid, will override the wind speed data. The
                  wind gust uploaded to the server will then be the highest wind speed
                  found over the past 10 minutes (as defined by CWOP). This is the same
                  method used when using the currdat.lst that does not contain gust data.

                  If someone who is attempting to use the WS36xx history file reporting
                  would kindly install version 134 and send me some feedback, I would
                  appreciate it.

                  If you have any other recommendation for using this somewhat random
                  wind gust value, let me know.

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2" <jjantti2@y...>

                  > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Also, if anyone else is using the WS36xx history file please let me
                  > > know if your station is uploading normally or not.
                  >
                  > Hands up here!!
                  >
                  > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
                  > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing a
                  > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind speed
                  > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a conclusion
                  > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these findings, the
                  > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
                  > currdat.lst file.

                • jjantti2
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005

                    > If someone who is attempting to use the WS36xx history file
                    > reporting would kindly install version 134 and send me some
                    > feedback, I would appreciate it.

                    I will install the new version by the start of November (WUHU is
                    running in a "production" server).

                    > If you have any other recommendation for using this somewhat random
                    > wind gust value, let me know.

                    Could it be possible to just discard the value if HeavyWeather decides
                    to push it in case of no gust?
                  • cgrosby
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                      <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

                      > WS36xx history.dat findings (does not apply to VWS or WS32).
                      >
                      > I viewed the history.dat file sent to me by Craig who had also
                      found
                      > this defect.
                      >
                      > The values for that field (wind gust) are changing over time
                      however
                      > this field often contains the value 51.0 (meter per second).
                      >
                      > After reviewing the data, it appears that 51.0 is used as
                      a "sentinel
                      > value". When the wind speed is low (~2.0 m/s) the gust speed is
                      > reported as 51.0. I can only assume that gust data is not
                      available.

                      > I have also found several instances where the wind speed value
                      also
                      > contains 51.0. I can only assume that the station experienced an
                      error
                      > when collecting the wind speed data from the sensor. When the wind
                      > speed is reported as 51.0, I make the assumption that the wind
                      speed is
                      > zero (what else can you do?).
                      >
                      > Since there is no clear definition for wind gust reported via
                      > Heavyweather, I have decided to use the gust data when it is
                      available.

                      > The wind gust data, when valid, will override the wind speed data.
                      The
                      > wind gust uploaded to the server will then be the highest wind
                      speed
                      > found over the past 10 minutes (as defined by CWOP). This is the
                      same
                      > method used when using the currdat.lst that does not contain gust
                      data.

                      > If someone who is attempting to use the WS36xx history file
                      reporting
                      > would kindly install version 134 and send me some feedback, I
                      would
                      > appreciate it.
                      >
                      > If you have any other recommendation for using this somewhat
                      random
                      > wind gust value, let me know.
                      >
                      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2"
                      <jjantti2@y...>
                      > wrote:

                      > > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Also, if anyone else is using the WS36xx history file please
                      let me
                      > > > know if your station is uploading normally or not.
                      > >
                      > > Hands up here!!
                      > >
                      > > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
                      > > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing a
                      > > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind
                      speed
                      > > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a
                      conclusion
                      > > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these findings,
                      the
                      > > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
                      > > currdat.lst file.

                      FROM Craig:
                      I just uploaded v136 and am using histoty.dat and everything appears
                      to work, but I want to spend a few hours uploading data and see.
                      I'll keep you posted.
                    • stevech
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                        Interesting. My WS3610's history.dat file seems to have a constant 51.0
                        m/sec for all records going back months. Never varies. The winds here have
                        not exceeded 5 or 10 mph in that time frame. It's hard to accept that 51.0
                        is a "sentinel" value by design, since one would logically choose a value
                        well outside the range that be experienced, and 51m (114.1mph) is possible.

                        Since my history.dat has no values other than 51m, and there are modest
                        sunset breezes every day, I have to assume that the "gust" function is just
                        not implemented correctly by La Crosse's supplier. The WS3610 LCD gust
                        display is always zero.

                        I have a MS Visual Basic program to parse weather.dat and write out a text
                        (and HTML) tabular listing. Would one treat "51.0" the same as "0.0" in data
                        extraction?

                        A "sentinel" I have assumed is when wind direction is > 15. This seems to
                        mean that the data from the outdoor unit is missing.

                        Lastly, when I reset (zero) the rain total using the WS3610's LCD, this does
                        not change the total in history.dat. I'm a bit confused by this too. Maybe
                        I'm supposed to use their PC software to zero this? I have my PC arranged to
                        run the HeavyWeather software once an hour for a minute or so and then cause
                        it to stop. I've found that it has a memory leak and I can't let it run 24/7
                        on my home automation server PC. Moreover, it eats a tremendous amount of
                        CPU time doing the really weird I/O protocol to/from the WS3610 (not really
                        serial I/O). So I find it best to automatically run it briefly once an hour.

                        Steve C

                        WS36xx history.dat findings (does not apply to VWS or WS32).

                        I viewed the history.dat file sent to me by Craig who had also found
                        this defect.

                        The values for that field (wind gust) are changing over time however
                        this field often contains the value 51.0 (meter per second).

                        After reviewing the data, it appears that 51.0 is used as a "sentinel
                        value". When the wind speed is low (~2.0 m/s) the gust speed is
                        reported as 51.0. I can only assume that gust data is not available.

                        I have also found several instances where the wind speed value also
                        contains 51.0. I can only assume that the station experienced an error
                        when collecting the wind speed data from the sensor. When the wind
                        speed is reported as 51.0, I make the assumption that the wind speed is
                        zero (what else can you do?).

                        Since there is no clear definition for wind gust reported via
                        Heavyweather, I have decided to use the gust data when it is available.

                        The wind gust data, when valid, will override the wind speed data. The
                        wind gust uploaded to the server will then be the highest wind speed
                        found over the past 10 minutes (as defined by CWOP). This is the same
                        method used when using the currdat.lst that does not contain gust data.

                        If someone who is attempting to use the WS36xx history file reporting
                        would kindly install version 134 and send me some feedback, I would
                        appreciate it.

                        If you have any other recommendation for using this somewhat random
                        wind gust value, let me know.

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2" <jjantti2@y...>

                        > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Also, if anyone else is using the WS36xx history file please let me
                        > > know if your station is uploading normally or not.
                        >
                        > Hands up here!!
                        >
                        > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
                        > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing a
                        > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind speed
                        > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a conclusion
                        > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these findings, the
                        > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
                        > currdat.lst file.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Heath Smith
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                          Steve,

                          Interesting.

                          When I reviewed Craigs data, there is a definite correlation betweeen windspeed above 2 mph and the wind gust field. When there are no winds, the field always contains 51. Maybe during the next windy data, you could let it run for more than a minute or two and see what it records over a period of time?

                          My guess is that very few people have ever reported a real 114 mph wind speed. Chances are the unit would be ripped off of the roof in which case Lacrosse would be off the hook for inaccurate data. ;)

                          I decided to use the wind gust value when it is reported (not 51). If you are reporting wind speed, you can have the wind gust override the wind speed when it is present. To say that the wind gust is zero is not really accurate so far as the definition of wind gust goes. Wind gust is the highest wind speed seen over the past 10 minutes.

                          The definition of wind gust used by LaCrosse could mean just about anything. My assumption is that it is the maximum wind speed seen over some unknown period of time. It could be a period of 10 seconds or 10 minutes. I will use it to report the highest wind speed over 10 minutes.

                          Did you try to reset the rain totals using the software yet?

                          Also, are you running the latest version of Heavyweather Pro? Version 1.1? I noticed on another forum that a user was having CPU loading and crashes using the shipped version of Heavyweather Pro?

                          If Pro is a CPU hog, that would not surprise me as Heavyweather 1.0 Beta is as well. I start heavyweather in a batch file (that is added to my start-up folder). The batch file contains the following lines:

                          @echo off
                          start /SEPARATE /BELOWNORMAL "" "heavy weather.exe"

                          That may or may not work for your Pro version as it may actually need higher CPU utilization during communication as it appears to make heavy use of the handshake lines. Only one way to find out.

                          Let me know what you find.

                          Thanks.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • jjantti2
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@s...>
                            wrote:

                            > Lastly, when I reset (zero) the rain total using the WS3610's LCD,
                            > this does not change the total in history.dat. I'm a bit confused
                            > by this too. Maybe I'm supposed to use their PC software to zero
                            > this?

                            This seems to be a problem in the WS3600-series weather stations
                            altogether. For my part, the weekly rain amount refuses to zero itself
                            from both LCD and HeavyWeather. Trying to reset the value in
                            HeavyWeather only seem to refresh the date and time of the "new" high
                            record. I suspect this is bug in HeavyWeather.

                            > I have my PC arranged to run the HeavyWeather software once
                            > an hour for a minute or so and then cause it to stop. I've found
                            > that it has a memory leak and I can't let it run 24/7 on my home
                            > automation server PC.

                            That's strange. I haven't encountered any memory leakage in my server,
                            where HW is running. HeavyWeather relies on some system DLLs to
                            function. If one of them is replaced by another program, it's likely
                            that the memory leak is caused by a faulty DLL. Another option is that
                            the problem was found and fixed on the European version of HW, but not
                            in the US version. (A bit far fetched thought, but a possible one).

                            > Moreover, it eats a tremendous amount of CPU time doing the really
                            > weird I/O protocol to/from the WS3610 (not really serial I/O).
                            > So I find it best to automatically run it briefly once an hour.

                            That's normal (at least for La Crosse). The reason is that
                            HeavyWeather is actually responsible for all COM-port transactions.
                            One thing you could try is to obtain a USB->COM converter. It might
                            lower CPU consumption a bit.
                          • stevech
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
                              Re resetting rainfall totals... I wonder if their thinking is that you start
                              a new history file and that file starts with an implied zero in rainfall
                              total. There is a place to define the file name for the history data.

                              Memory leak... hmmm is all I can say.

                              CPU time: The WS36xx, apparently unlike the prior generation (23xx?)
                              products, has an RS232 serial interface, but it is used totally differently.
                              I used a serial data sniffer to confirm my suspicions: The serial port
                              handshaking signals are used to transfer data; the usual serial TX and RX
                              data lines are simply not used. Why would they do this? Well, perhaps the
                              WS36xx microprocessor has no serial UART or someone thought using the
                              control lines would be faster or allow longer cables. I do know I've never
                              seen this done on any other product. So the sensing and toggling of these
                              lines every few seconds is why HeavyWeather is such a CPU hog. For that
                              reason alone, I don't want it running all the time.

                              Steve

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
> [...]
                                > > wrote:

                                > let me
                                > > >
                                > > > Hands up here!!
                                > > >
                                > > > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
                                > > > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing
                                > > > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind
                                > speed
                                > > > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a
                                > conclusion
                                > > > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these
                                findings,
                                > the
                                > > > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
                                > > > currdat.lst file.
                                > > >

                                > FROM Craig:
                                > I just uploaded v136 and am using histoty.dat and everything
                                appears
                                > to work, but I want to spend a few hours uploading data and see.

                                Got some good wind today. The wind speed is displaying the same as
                                wind gust? I'll try v137 and see if that works.

                              • jjantti2
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
                                  wrote:
                                  > Re resetting rainfall totals... I wonder if their thinking is that
                                  > you start a new history file and that file starts with an implied
                                  > zero in rainfall total. There is a place to define the file name for
                                  > the history data.

                                  Well, for my part making a new history file will only come in question
                                  on 01.01.2006 the earliest. Interesting thing is that I was able to
                                  zero the rainfall total from the weather station, but the weekly rain
                                  value just doesn't go anywhere no matter how many times I attempt to
                                  clear the record.

                                  > Memory leak... hmmm is all I can say.

                                  I think (and hope) that La Crosse is aware of the possibility of that
                                  and considering releasing an updated version of the program with the
                                  problem fixed.

                                  > So the sensing and toggling of these lines every few
                                  > seconds is why HeavyWeather is such a CPU hog. For that
                                  > reason alone, I don't want it running all the time.

                                  Good point, especially if you do something else with the computer and
                                  don't want any slowdowns. I'm getting 10-25% CPU usage spikes when HW
                                  communicates with the station, but I don't consider that very high. I
                                  have changed the priority of HW from Normal to Above Normal so that no
                                  interruption in communication would occur if another (Normal priority)
                                  process takes most of the processing power.

                                  Regards,
                                  Juha