VWS crashes all of the time. Looking for possible replacement software.

  • edgar_beagle
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8 8:56 PM
      What is your opinion of this WUHU software? Is it buggy? I haven't seen much on here lately and am looking to replace that crappy VWS software from Ambient Weather. It is possible that since the system I am running it on is just too old, but VWS uses about 50% of the CPUs on my old HP Vista laptop. I don't want to go through all of the trouble of replacing it since I have built a website with it and it uploads well to WU as long as it doesn't crash. I keep seeing events about wininet.dll being the problem, but there must be a million instances of the dll on my system. Does WUHU do rapid fire? I would like to hear from anyone who has switched from VWS to WUHU on their opinion.

      Thanks,
      Tom

    • Bob Tyszka
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8 9:22 PM
      • 1 Attachment
      • 4 KB
      Tom;

          I have been using WUHU for six or seven years and have hardly any problems.  I started on a used desktop with XP.  When that computer crashed i bought a used netbook with XP.  Last Fall I upgraded my station from Lacrosse WS-2308 to WS-2811 with no problems.  A few months ago I upgraded the netbook to Win8.  I had a little trouble adjusting to the new OS and the latest version of WUHU, but Heath and the other wonderful friends on this group stepped in and helped a MAC user adjust.  I also run the Quake Catcher Network (QCN) sensor and software on the same netbook.  The biggest problem is when the windows automatic updates try to load and I'm not there, but WUHU is GREAT!  Many others may be able to be more technical about the software but I am a very Happy User!

      Bob Tyszka
      California City, CA
      CW9012 / KCACALIF5

      Click for
California City, California Forecast

      Message 3 of 15 , Jul 9 4:29 AM
        WUHU is awesome and uses very little resources, about .06 CPU for me.

        Steve
      • Kris Olmstead, W2FLR/KNYOTISC2
        Message 4 of 15 , Jul 9 5:21 AM

          I've been running WUHU for 7 years and it's the only program that hasn't crashed on me.  Stable, complete and has the support of a large group and a great author (Heath).  Highly recommended.

          Kris
          http://fingerlakesweather.com

          On 07/09/2014 07:29 AM, steve_03222@... [wuhu_software_group] wrote:
          WUHU is awesome and uses very little resources, about .06 CPU for me.

          Steve

        • Don Lafferty

            Message 6 of 15 , Jul 9 9:57 AM
              Wow!  Seven years already?  Time sure gets by!

              I used to have three stations (OS, LaCrosse, and Davis) all running on separate instances of WUHU on an old Dell desktop.  I still have the Davis running on the same desktop.  WUHU has been flawless.  I rarely even sit at the desktop any more for weather activities (I also use it to load new songs on my ipod, or for extra long downloads that I'm not in a hurry for).

              I don't know what all you want to do with the software.  I now VWS is somehow tied in with WU to make webpages and stuff.  I can't address those kinds of issues, as I don't use any templates for my website.

              I highly recommend the software and a donation for the constant monitoring of user's problems and swift resolutions/help for those problems by the software author.

              Greg Whitehead
              Ten Mile, TN
              http://www.wattsbarweather.net
            • marcelcanine
              Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9 10:59 AM
                I run my WX station on a netbook that sits on the bottom shelf I almost never look at it. I shut it down yesterday to do some windows updates it had been running 80 days and 8 hours when I shut it down.    WUHU is rock solid.
              • Thomas Huot
                Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9 2:21 PM
                  Thanks for the information. I think I am going to try and install it and see how it behaves. Right now it is very unpredictable with VWS. Sometimes it will go for a couple of weeks or more without crashing and then it will go only a couple of hours. I paid for that software and there is no real tech support.

                  Message 9 of 15 , Jul 9 2:25 PM
                    Oddly enough I have a HP netbook which is about 4 years old. Maybe I will try it on that! It's doing nothing right now. It has windows 7 cheapo edition on it. I can't even remember what the version is called. I think it might be home basic. I will let you all know how it works out!

                    Thanks,
                    Tom

                    On 7/9/2014 1:59 PM, marcelcanine@... [wuhu_software_group] wrote:

                    I run my WX station on a netbook that sits on the bottom shelf I almost never look at it. I shut it down yesterday to do some windows updates it had been running 80 days and 8 hours when I shut it down.    WUHU is rock solid.

                  • chrisv78
                    Message 10 of 15 , Jul 9 2:42 PM
                      My Acer netbook has been on sinc we 2009 except for periodic XP updates.  It also served as a Skype server until about a year ago.  My only issue with it was last winter when my cat decided it made a good bed and rebooted it.

                      Message 11 of 15 , Jul 9 5:31 PM
                        My current WUHU process has been running for 7 months, on an old Eee PC with Windows XP. I'd say that's pretty stable!

                        Message 12 of 15 , Jul 9 7:37 PM
                          Hello all,

                          I noticed many of you mentioning that you were running XP. when I was running my station in Santa Fe, NM I had a Compaq Business machine which was running XP Pro and VWS never crashed on that either. I wonder if the problem is that they never really updated VWS to run correctly after XP? I have an old XP Compaq 8000Z which in its day was a real powerhouse with a raid 0 array. It still has XP on it. I could try running on that but it is massive. I was spoiled with a great home office at the time. I actually had 9 computers running at one time. 6 in a rack with 4 linux clustered machines. The good old days .... Now I am stuck in Baltimore in an old house with very little room now and nothing but a couple of laptops. Since I am now a real estate agent and not a computer engineer any more my computing demands have decreased a lot. Actually I still have 2 of the linux machines. Is anyone here running WUHU on Centos?

                          A short side note. When I was running my WS in NM, I never saw any more than 12 inches of rain in a year. In Baltimore 46 to 48 seems to be normal.

                          Thanks,
                          Tom (ex computer geek)

                        Message 13 of 15 , Jul 9 7:44 PM
                          On 7/9/2014 10:37 PM, Thomas Huot tomhuot@... [wuhu_software_group] wrote:

[...]

                          Wuhu is a Windows application, so unless it runs under a Windows emulator, I doubt anybody's running it on Linux.
                        • Don Lafferty

                            Message 15 of 15 , Jul 10 7:06 AM
                              I ran in Ubuntu Linux with WINE for awhile without any problems.  I'm currently running Windows 7, and like most people here let it run for months at a time without reboots.