Weather server communication ports and protocols

  • robreab
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 13, 2014

      I manage a couple of weather stations and use WUHU on both. One of these is located on a state university campus where I'm employed.

      Our campus security folks are working to secure our perimeter firewall and have requested external server name/ip, ports and protocols to create rules to allow our services to continue to function.

      Since this group deals with WUHU development, I thought someone may chime in to assist with this info.

      I'm presently uploading to PWSweather, Weather Underground, AWEKAS and CWOP.

      Can anyone help me with CNAME or IP, port and protocol info that WUHU requires to communicate with these servers?

      Thanks for any help that you may provide.

    • John Liss

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 13, 2014
          Thanks for the help!

          Just a few more servers/services to go...
        • John Liss
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 13, 2014

            Weather underground is:  weatherstation.wunderground.com port 80

            http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Upload_Protocol

            CWOP is: cwop.aprs.net CWOP1 aprs.net, CWOP2.aprs.net, CWOP3.aprs.net, CWOP4.aprs.net

            rotate.aprs.net if you are using amateur radio callsigns

            http://wxqa.com/servers2use.html

            AWEKAS actually pulls from your webserver.

            http://www.awekas.at/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=76&s=ec04983577706c26b187d9f073041227d93e500e

            PWSWeather is: www.pwsweather.com port 80

            http://code.google.com/p/fowsr/wiki/pwsweather

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 13, 2014
              With the exception of CWOP, they are all using port 80 I believe, the standard http:// port.

              CWOP uses port 14580.

              Are you having problems or just curious?

              On Friday, June 13, 2014 12:19 PM, "robreab@... [wuhu_software_group]" <wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              I manage a couple of weather stations and use WUHU on both. One of these is located on a state university campus where I'm employed.

              Our campus security folks are working to secure our perimeter firewall and have requested external server name/ip, ports and protocols to create rules to allow our services to continue to function.

              Since this group deals with WUHU development, I thought someone may chime in to assist with this info.

              I'm presently uploading to PWSweather, Weather Underground, AWEKAS and CWOP.

              Can anyone help me with CNAME or IP, port and protocol info that WUHU requires to communicate with these servers?

              Thanks for any help that you may provide.

            • H. Smith

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 29, 2014
                  My apologies for just jumping in here, but I am trying to join CWOP.  I have my designator (DW5449) and now I'm supposed too send a weather packet to them.  I went to the CWOP setup in WUHU and have everything except a password.  First question:  Am I at the right place for what they are asking me?  and 2) how do I get a password?
                • marcelcanine
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 30, 2014
                    You do not need a password   just put -1 in that block.
                  • Don Lafferty
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 30, 2014
                      When did CWOP make it so you don't need a password?

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 30, 2014
                        They have never required a password for  non amateur radio operators.  All you do is put -1 in the passcode block.   If you have a call sign and want your data to go across the APRS network you need a passcode.   If you do not have a passcode then you can use the -1.   The difference is that if you use the -1  your data must stay on the internet and not go across any of the APRS radio links. Been that way from the start.
                      • Don Lafferty
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 30, 2014
                          Hmmmmm.  When I signed up for it back in 2007 or 2008 I had to get a password from some guy.  At least I think I remember needing it.  I am getting old so maybe I forgot.  ;)

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 30, 2014

                            I send data under my CWOP number DW1254 with a -1. I also send data sometimes using my call sign N4DMS I have a passcode for that.   The reason for the passcode is that it is illegal for non call sign holders to send data across a radio network.   If the system sees the -1 it automatically blocks it from the radio links and redirects it to the internet.

                            If you have a call sign and want to use the radio links you need to get a passcode.  I have had mine so long I forget where to get them it is on the CWOP site somewhere.

                            There are also some passcode generators still floating around where you can generate your own passcode.

                          • Don Lafferty

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 30, 2014

                                I assume you mean that you have a CWOP number starting with CW   like CW7706.

                                It is so that you can send data to CWOP/findu.  Like this

                                Weather Conditions At CW7706

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 30, 2014
                                  I signed up so long ago that I could not remember. I just checked my setup in WUHU and the password is blank
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
                                    I would leave it blank, do not enter -1.
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
                                      The password field is for HAM operators only. Leave it back if you are just uploading.