Support for WS36xx history.dat file.

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 23, 2005
      I have added a new version that is available for testing that will
      support the WS36xx history.dat file monitoring. It is available from
      the alternative download site (see main page). The file is
      WUHU132_32.zip.

      I took a guess on the "New rain" field to mean 1 hour rainfall. If this
      is not the case, let me know and I will change it.

      If you have a WS36xx and would like to give it a go, please send me
      feedback after testing.

      Please be sure to check your WU and CWOP uploaded data for accuracy.

      Thanks.
    • David Higgins
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 24, 2005
        Thanks. Installed and testing now.

        Cheers

        David

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 28, 2005
          David,

          Do you have any test results for v132 with 36xx history.dat support?

          Anyone else with a 36xx try it?

          Thanks.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
          <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
          > Thanks. Installed and testing now.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > David

          > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have added a new version that is available for testing that
          will
          > > support the WS36xx history.dat file monitoring. It is available
          from
          > > the alternative download site (see main page). The file is
          > > WUHU132_32.zip.
          > >
          > > I took a guess on the "New rain" field to mean 1 hour rainfall.
          If
          > this
          > > is not the case, let me know and I will change it.
          > >
          > > If you have a WS36xx and would like to give it a go, please send
          me
          > > feedback after testing.
          > >
          > > Please be sure to check your WU and CWOP uploaded data for
          accuracy.

          > > Thanks.
        • David Higgins
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 28, 2005
            I haven't encountered any bugs. All the data appears to be just what
            the unit is producing though I haven't done a full comparison as yet
            (but the gust information appears to be correct now)

            Cheers

            David

            <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

            > David,
            >
            > Do you have any test results for v132 with 36xx history.dat support?
            >
            > Anyone else with a 36xx try it?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
            > <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
            > > Thanks. Installed and testing now.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > David

            > > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have added a new version that is available for testing that
            > will
            > > > support the WS36xx history.dat file monitoring. It is available
            > from
            > > > the alternative download site (see main page). The file is
            > > > WUHU132_32.zip.
            > > >
            > > > I took a guess on the "New rain" field to mean 1 hour rainfall.
            > If
            > > this
            > > > is not the case, let me know and I will change it.
            > > >
            > > > If you have a WS36xx and would like to give it a go, please
            send
            > me
            > > > feedback after testing.
            > > >
            > > > Please be sure to check your WU and CWOP uploaded data for
            > accuracy.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks.
          • cgrosby
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 15, 2005
              I installed WUHU132-32.zip and it uploads to weather underground and
              CWOP fine, but I am encountering a problem with wind gust and dew
              point. I have a WS3610 and am using history.dat. The wind gust always
              reports 120 mph and dew point is always 0.0 F

              I can send you my history.dat file if you'd like.
              Any help would be appreciated.

              Thanks, Craig

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 15, 2005
                Craig,

                According to the information that I have, dewpoint is not stored in
                the history.dat. Can you view dewpoint in the history view?

                Please send me your history.dat (wuhu_software@...)so that I
                can check out the 120mph wind gust problem. According to the
                information I have, the value is stored as meters per second in the
                history file.

                Also, send to me your WU ID and CWOP ID if you have them so that I
                can view the raw data uploaded.

                Thanks.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "cgrosby" <cgrosby@h...>
                wrote:

                > I installed WUHU132-32.zip and it uploads to weather underground and
                > CWOP fine, but I am encountering a problem with wind gust and dew
                > point. I have a WS3610 and am using history.dat. The wind gust
                always
                > reports 120 mph and dew point is always 0.0 F
                >
                > I can send you my history.dat file if you'd like.
                > Any help would be appreciated.
                >
                > Thanks, Craig
                >

                > -- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
                > <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I haven't encountered any bugs. All the data appears to be just
                what
                > > the unit is producing though I haven't done a full comparison as
                yet
                > > (but the gust information appears to be correct now)
                > >
                > > Cheers
                > >
                > > David

                > > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > David,
                > > >
                > > > Do you have any test results for v132 with 36xx history.dat
                support?

                > > > Anyone else with a 36xx try it?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks.
                > > >
                > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"

                > > > will
                > > > from

                > > > If

                > > send
                > > > me

                > > > accuracy.

              • cgrosby
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 16, 2005
                  Just for kicks I switched to using the currdat.1st file, and the
                  wind reading appears to be accurate now, but I still can't get a
                  reading for dew point? It still reads 0.0 F
                  Do you want me to continue to use currdat.1st or go back to
                  history.dat? I'd really like this to work and report correctly.
                  Thanks, Craig

                  wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software"

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 16, 2005
                    As I mentioned in the other post, I do not think that the dewpoint is
                    stored in the history.dat file. Can you view your history and see the
                    dewpoint? I should probably update the program so that it uploads an
                    empty field rather than zero.

                    I would like to figure out what is going on with the windspeed and
                    history.dat file.

                    If you could, send me the history.dat, and your weather underground
                    ID.

                    Also, if anyone else is using the WS36xx history file please let me
                    know if your station is uploading normally or not.

                    wrote:

                    > Just for kicks I switched to using the currdat.1st file, and the
                    > wind reading appears to be accurate now, but I still can't get a
                    > reading for dew point? It still reads 0.0 F
                    > Do you want me to continue to use currdat.1st or go back to
                    > history.dat? I'd really like this to work and report correctly.
                    > Thanks, Craig

                    > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Craig,
                    > >
                    > > According to the information that I have, dewpoint is not
                    stored
                    > in
                    > > the history.dat. Can you view dewpoint in the history view?
                    > >
                    > > Please send me your history.dat (wuhu_software@y...)so that I
                    > > can check out the 120mph wind gust problem. According to the
                    > > information I have, the value is stored as meters per second in
                    > the
                    > > history file.
                    > >
                    > > Also, send to me your WU ID and CWOP ID if you have them so
                    that
                    > > can view the raw data uploaded.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks.
                    > >
                    > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "cgrosby"
                    > <cgrosby@h...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I installed WUHU132-32.zip and it uploads to weather
                    underground
                    > and
                    > > > CWOP fine, but I am encountering a problem with wind gust and
                    dew
                    > > > point. I have a WS3610 and am using history.dat. The wind gust
                    > > always
                    > > > reports 120 mph and dew point is always 0.0 F
                    > > >
                    > > > I can send you my history.dat file if you'd like.
                    > > > Any help would be appreciated.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks, Craig
                    > > >

                    > > > -- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"

                    > just
                    > > what
                    > as
                    > > yet

                    > > support?

                    > wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software"

                    > > that
                    > > available
                    > is

                    > > rainfall.

                    > please

                    > for

                  • jjantti2
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                      <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

                      > Also, if anyone else is using the WS36xx history file please let me
                      > know if your station is uploading normally or not.

                      Hands up here!!

                      I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
                      started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing a
                      constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind speed
                      it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a conclusion
                      this was an error condition. So, in the light of these findings, the
                      station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
                      currdat.lst file.
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                        WS36xx history.dat findings (does not apply to VWS or WS32).

                        I viewed the history.dat file sent to me by Craig who had also found
                        this defect.

                        The values for that field (wind gust) are changing over time however
                        this field often contains the value 51.0 (meter per second).

                        After reviewing the data, it appears that 51.0 is used as a "sentinel
                        value". When the wind speed is low (~2.0 m/s) the gust speed is
                        reported as 51.0. I can only assume that gust data is not available.

                        I have also found several instances where the wind speed value also
                        contains 51.0. I can only assume that the station experienced an error
                        when collecting the wind speed data from the sensor. When the wind
                        speed is reported as 51.0, I make the assumption that the wind speed is
                        zero (what else can you do?).

                        Since there is no clear definition for wind gust reported via
                        Heavyweather, I have decided to use the gust data when it is available.

                        The wind gust data, when valid, will override the wind speed data. The
                        wind gust uploaded to the server will then be the highest wind speed
                        found over the past 10 minutes (as defined by CWOP). This is the same
                        method used when using the currdat.lst that does not contain gust data.

                        If someone who is attempting to use the WS36xx history file reporting
                        would kindly install version 134 and send me some feedback, I would
                        appreciate it.

                        If you have any other recommendation for using this somewhat random
                        wind gust value, let me know.

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2" <jjantti2@y...>

                        > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Also, if anyone else is using the WS36xx history file please let me
                        > > know if your station is uploading normally or not.
                        >
                        > Hands up here!!
                        >
                        > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
                        > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing a
                        > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind speed
                        > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a conclusion
                        > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these findings, the
                        > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
                        > currdat.lst file.

                      • jjantti2
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005

                          > If someone who is attempting to use the WS36xx history file
                          > reporting would kindly install version 134 and send me some
                          > feedback, I would appreciate it.

                          I will install the new version by the start of November (WUHU is
                          running in a "production" server).

                          > If you have any other recommendation for using this somewhat random
                          > wind gust value, let me know.

                          Could it be possible to just discard the value if HeavyWeather decides
                          to push it in case of no gust?
                        • cgrosby
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                            <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

                            > WS36xx history.dat findings (does not apply to VWS or WS32).
                            >
                            > I viewed the history.dat file sent to me by Craig who had also
                            found
                            > this defect.
                            >
                            > The values for that field (wind gust) are changing over time
                            however
                            > this field often contains the value 51.0 (meter per second).
                            >
                            > After reviewing the data, it appears that 51.0 is used as
                            a "sentinel
                            > value". When the wind speed is low (~2.0 m/s) the gust speed is
                            > reported as 51.0. I can only assume that gust data is not
                            available.

                            > I have also found several instances where the wind speed value
                            also
                            > contains 51.0. I can only assume that the station experienced an
                            error
                            > when collecting the wind speed data from the sensor. When the wind
                            > speed is reported as 51.0, I make the assumption that the wind
                            speed is
                            > zero (what else can you do?).
                            >
                            > Since there is no clear definition for wind gust reported via
                            > Heavyweather, I have decided to use the gust data when it is
                            available.

                            > The wind gust data, when valid, will override the wind speed data.
                            The
                            > wind gust uploaded to the server will then be the highest wind
                            speed
                            > found over the past 10 minutes (as defined by CWOP). This is the
                            same
                            > method used when using the currdat.lst that does not contain gust
                            data.

                            > If someone who is attempting to use the WS36xx history file
                            reporting
                            > would kindly install version 134 and send me some feedback, I
                            would
                            > appreciate it.
                            >
                            > If you have any other recommendation for using this somewhat
                            random
                            > wind gust value, let me know.
                            >
                            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2"
                            <jjantti2@y...>
                            > wrote:

                            > > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Also, if anyone else is using the WS36xx history file please
                            let me
                            > > > know if your station is uploading normally or not.
                            > >
                            > > Hands up here!!
                            > >
                            > > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
                            > > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing a
                            > > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind
                            speed
                            > > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a
                            conclusion
                            > > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these findings,
                            the
                            > > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
                            > > currdat.lst file.

                            FROM Craig:
                            I just uploaded v136 and am using histoty.dat and everything appears
                            to work, but I want to spend a few hours uploading data and see.
                            I'll keep you posted.
                          • stevech
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                              Interesting. My WS3610's history.dat file seems to have a constant 51.0
                              m/sec for all records going back months. Never varies. The winds here have
                              not exceeded 5 or 10 mph in that time frame. It's hard to accept that 51.0
                              is a "sentinel" value by design, since one would logically choose a value
                              well outside the range that be experienced, and 51m (114.1mph) is possible.

                              Since my history.dat has no values other than 51m, and there are modest
                              sunset breezes every day, I have to assume that the "gust" function is just
                              not implemented correctly by La Crosse's supplier. The WS3610 LCD gust
                              display is always zero.

                              I have a MS Visual Basic program to parse weather.dat and write out a text
                              (and HTML) tabular listing. Would one treat "51.0" the same as "0.0" in data
                              extraction?

                              A "sentinel" I have assumed is when wind direction is > 15. This seems to
                              mean that the data from the outdoor unit is missing.

                              Lastly, when I reset (zero) the rain total using the WS3610's LCD, this does
                              not change the total in history.dat. I'm a bit confused by this too. Maybe
                              I'm supposed to use their PC software to zero this? I have my PC arranged to
                              run the HeavyWeather software once an hour for a minute or so and then cause
                              it to stop. I've found that it has a memory leak and I can't let it run 24/7
                              on my home automation server PC. Moreover, it eats a tremendous amount of
                              CPU time doing the really weird I/O protocol to/from the WS3610 (not really
                              serial I/O). So I find it best to automatically run it briefly once an hour.

                              Steve C

                              WS36xx history.dat findings (does not apply to VWS or WS32).

                              I viewed the history.dat file sent to me by Craig who had also found
                              this defect.

                              The values for that field (wind gust) are changing over time however
                              this field often contains the value 51.0 (meter per second).

                              After reviewing the data, it appears that 51.0 is used as a "sentinel
                              value". When the wind speed is low (~2.0 m/s) the gust speed is
                              reported as 51.0. I can only assume that gust data is not available.

                              I have also found several instances where the wind speed value also
                              contains 51.0. I can only assume that the station experienced an error
                              when collecting the wind speed data from the sensor. When the wind
                              speed is reported as 51.0, I make the assumption that the wind speed is
                              zero (what else can you do?).

                              Since there is no clear definition for wind gust reported via
                              Heavyweather, I have decided to use the gust data when it is available.

                              The wind gust data, when valid, will override the wind speed data. The
                              wind gust uploaded to the server will then be the highest wind speed
                              found over the past 10 minutes (as defined by CWOP). This is the same
                              method used when using the currdat.lst that does not contain gust data.

                              If someone who is attempting to use the WS36xx history file reporting
                              would kindly install version 134 and send me some feedback, I would
                              appreciate it.

                              If you have any other recommendation for using this somewhat random
                              wind gust value, let me know.

                              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jjantti2" <jjantti2@y...>

                              > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Also, if anyone else is using the WS36xx history file please let me
                              > > know if your station is uploading normally or not.
                              >
                              > Hands up here!!
                              >
                              > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
                              > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing a
                              > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind speed
                              > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a conclusion
                              > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these findings, the
                              > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
                              > currdat.lst file.

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • Heath Smith
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                                Steve,

                                Interesting.

                                When I reviewed Craigs data, there is a definite correlation betweeen windspeed above 2 mph and the wind gust field. When there are no winds, the field always contains 51. Maybe during the next windy data, you could let it run for more than a minute or two and see what it records over a period of time?

                                My guess is that very few people have ever reported a real 114 mph wind speed. Chances are the unit would be ripped off of the roof in which case Lacrosse would be off the hook for inaccurate data. ;)

                                I decided to use the wind gust value when it is reported (not 51). If you are reporting wind speed, you can have the wind gust override the wind speed when it is present. To say that the wind gust is zero is not really accurate so far as the definition of wind gust goes. Wind gust is the highest wind speed seen over the past 10 minutes.

                                The definition of wind gust used by LaCrosse could mean just about anything. My assumption is that it is the maximum wind speed seen over some unknown period of time. It could be a period of 10 seconds or 10 minutes. I will use it to report the highest wind speed over 10 minutes.

                                Did you try to reset the rain totals using the software yet?

                                Also, are you running the latest version of Heavyweather Pro? Version 1.1? I noticed on another forum that a user was having CPU loading and crashes using the shipped version of Heavyweather Pro?

                                If Pro is a CPU hog, that would not surprise me as Heavyweather 1.0 Beta is as well. I start heavyweather in a batch file (that is added to my start-up folder). The batch file contains the following lines:

                                @echo off
                                start /SEPARATE /BELOWNORMAL "" "heavy weather.exe"

                                That may or may not work for your Pro version as it may actually need higher CPU utilization during communication as it appears to make heavy use of the handshake lines. Only one way to find out.

                                Let me know what you find.

                                Thanks.

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • jjantti2
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 17, 2005
                                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@s...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Lastly, when I reset (zero) the rain total using the WS3610's LCD,
                                  > this does not change the total in history.dat. I'm a bit confused
                                  > by this too. Maybe I'm supposed to use their PC software to zero
                                  > this?

                                  This seems to be a problem in the WS3600-series weather stations
                                  altogether. For my part, the weekly rain amount refuses to zero itself
                                  from both LCD and HeavyWeather. Trying to reset the value in
                                  HeavyWeather only seem to refresh the date and time of the "new" high
                                  record. I suspect this is bug in HeavyWeather.

                                  > I have my PC arranged to run the HeavyWeather software once
                                  > an hour for a minute or so and then cause it to stop. I've found
                                  > that it has a memory leak and I can't let it run 24/7 on my home
                                  > automation server PC.

                                  That's strange. I haven't encountered any memory leakage in my server,
                                  where HW is running. HeavyWeather relies on some system DLLs to
                                  function. If one of them is replaced by another program, it's likely
                                  that the memory leak is caused by a faulty DLL. Another option is that
                                  the problem was found and fixed on the European version of HW, but not
                                  in the US version. (A bit far fetched thought, but a possible one).

                                  > Moreover, it eats a tremendous amount of CPU time doing the really
                                  > weird I/O protocol to/from the WS3610 (not really serial I/O).
                                  > So I find it best to automatically run it briefly once an hour.

                                  That's normal (at least for La Crosse). The reason is that
                                  HeavyWeather is actually responsible for all COM-port transactions.
                                  One thing you could try is to obtain a USB->COM converter. It might
                                  lower CPU consumption a bit.
                                • stevech
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
                                    Re resetting rainfall totals... I wonder if their thinking is that you start
                                    a new history file and that file starts with an implied zero in rainfall
                                    total. There is a place to define the file name for the history data.

                                    Memory leak... hmmm is all I can say.

                                    CPU time: The WS36xx, apparently unlike the prior generation (23xx?)
                                    products, has an RS232 serial interface, but it is used totally differently.
                                    I used a serial data sniffer to confirm my suspicions: The serial port
                                    handshaking signals are used to transfer data; the usual serial TX and RX
                                    data lines are simply not used. Why would they do this? Well, perhaps the
                                    WS36xx microprocessor has no serial UART or someone thought using the
                                    control lines would be faster or allow longer cables. I do know I've never
                                    seen this done on any other product. So the sensing and toggling of these
                                    lines every few seconds is why HeavyWeather is such a CPU hog. For that
                                    reason alone, I don't want it running all the time.

                                    Steve

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
> [...]
                                      > > wrote:

                                      > let me
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Hands up here!!
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I was using history.dat for a while, but eventually gave up and
                                      > > > started using currdat.lst because the gust display was showing
                                      > > > constant 125mph for me. I once thought it was the maximum wind
                                      > speed
                                      > > > it could show, but after hours of contemplation I came to a
                                      > conclusion
                                      > > > this was an error condition. So, in the light of these
                                      findings,
                                      > the
                                      > > > station is likely to upload data all OK only when using the
                                      > > > currdat.lst file.
                                      > > >

                                      > FROM Craig:
                                      > I just uploaded v136 and am using histoty.dat and everything
                                      appears
                                      > to work, but I want to spend a few hours uploading data and see.

                                      Got some good wind today. The wind speed is displaying the same as
                                      wind gust? I'll try v137 and see if that works.

                                    • jjantti2
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
                                        wrote:
                                        > Re resetting rainfall totals... I wonder if their thinking is that
                                        > you start a new history file and that file starts with an implied
                                        > zero in rainfall total. There is a place to define the file name for
                                        > the history data.

                                        Well, for my part making a new history file will only come in question
                                        on 01.01.2006 the earliest. Interesting thing is that I was able to
                                        zero the rainfall total from the weather station, but the weekly rain
                                        value just doesn't go anywhere no matter how many times I attempt to
                                        clear the record.

                                        > Memory leak... hmmm is all I can say.

                                        I think (and hope) that La Crosse is aware of the possibility of that
                                        and considering releasing an updated version of the program with the
                                        problem fixed.

                                        > So the sensing and toggling of these lines every few
                                        > seconds is why HeavyWeather is such a CPU hog. For that
                                        > reason alone, I don't want it running all the time.

                                        Good point, especially if you do something else with the computer and
                                        don't want any slowdowns. I'm getting 10-25% CPU usage spikes when HW
                                        communicates with the station, but I don't consider that very high. I
                                        have changed the priority of HW from Normal to Above Normal so that no
                                        interruption in communication would occur if another (Normal priority)
                                        process takes most of the processing power.

                                        Regards,
                                        Juha