Wind Sensor problems, time for a change?

  • mills6768
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14
      Hi,

      I've got a Lacrosse WS2310 that I've been using (mostly ok) for a few years now, but the PC that runs WUHU does reboots every 3 hours to cope with drop outs, and now the wind sensor (which was a TX23 upgrade) is giving false gust speeds on 91.7kph. I'm contemplating changing the entire station for something new, but wonder what other people use, and are they better at not losing connection or needing too much nursing along. Davis vue is probably too much money at this time, but is it more reliable with WUHU (I could be swayed)

      Cheers
    • Radu Eugen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14

        Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Wind Sensor problems, time for a change?
        To: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, February 14, 2014, 6:19 AM

        If you want to solve the whole problem cheaply buy an Inspeed Vortex wind sensor, you can attach it to your weather station instead of the wind sensor of the station. It's not a big deal.
        If you do it I can guide you all the way on how to do it, where to change and what to change.
        I have it mine from 2008 and it works absolutely flawlessly.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14
          I'll second that, works great and fasted update rate you can find anywhere.
          I am also available to assist.
          Steve
        • carl98762003
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 16
            Be sure and do the rainmanweather.com email thing and the Davis is as cheap as I have seen it anywhere(around 360 something for station and logger).
          • don_wa5ngp
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 18
              I've been running a 2317 or variant for years.
              http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXGEORG8

              I don't get any dropouts except windows updates periodically.  I wonder why you get dropouts?  My setup is xp with an amd 1.2ghz connecting thru rs232.  The wuhu  software weeds out the oddball wind speed readings.

              the long term problem is that after about 3 years the humidity sensor goes wacky and eventually the thermal hygro fails.  I think its due to left over solder residue that humidity eventually messes up.  At the moment my anemometer is not located in a good spot and I have not made the mod to increase frquency of updates but its adequate to keep up with weather.  We are on rain water for household use so keeping up with rain has been more important than any other measurement.

              best of luck shopping around,
              don
            • mills6768
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10
                Cheers for the feedback folks. I've decided to stick with it for now. I've swapped the TX23 wind sensor for the one it originally came with and things have "quite literally" calmed down. :-)