Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Time to Upgrade Weather Station

  • Don Lafferty
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 21 7:14 AM
      I got my Pro 2 at Rainman Weather using the same kind of trick as above and got my station plus weatherlink for around $550 minus the fan.

      I think the price is a little more than that now but if you do the email me the price trick it's quite a bit less than the $684 listed.

      Don

      On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 4:38 AM, Sunshine Kukulcan <sunshine.is.always@...> wrote:

      As we speak, I am upgrading to Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless with Fan Aspiration from a LaCrosse which lasted less than a year.
      Yes, the Davis is expensive, but here's a tip not many know for a fairly large discount.

      Go to Ambientweather.com and sign up for an account. Once signed up and logged in, go to the Davis products section. You will see that all prices are lined out.
      Choose the ones you are interested in, enter your email and you will be sent the discounted price.

      I got my entire rig for just a few dollars over 1K. NOW thats a DEAL.

      Best wishes for sunny skies,
      Sunshine/Jenna

    • Jed Petrovich

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 8, 2013

          How frequently does the data get updated on the 2813?

          I have a 2316 that is on its last legs.  It seems like high humidity causes the hygro-sensor unit to malfunction so I'm thinking about one of these 2813's.  The old 2316 updated like every 90 seconds which was unacceptable.  The long time between updates was done to save battery life originally.   I found a hack to make it update every 3 seconds and that has worked fine for a number of years.  .  Perhaps these new units with solar power don't have that problem. of long update times.

          tks

          don

          ---In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, <muce1@...> wrote:

          Jed,

          I don't know if there is a forum archives, but if you look back a bit, I was in the same position as you, except one of the components on my LaCrosse WS-2813U-IT died. (That's my assumption because I couldn't get it to resync -- hard or soft.) It was 2.5 years after purchase, so I wasn't distraught. I looked at the Davis stations and considered them, however I was concerned about the cluster of instruments on one mount. I didn't look into it far enough to see if you can break them apart, but it didn't seem like it. My situation was that I have a shady section of my yard where I could get quite accurate temp readings in full sun (in AZ, where we have FULL sun), 6 ft. off the ground as prescribed by the experts. I have my rain gauge in as open an area as can be found in my yard, and I have the AWV mounted above the chimney about 20 ft. off the ground.

          The idea of having to buy a fan on top of everything else, put me off of the Davis. Then there was the cost. While I don't doubt they are more accurate, I think there is far more variability in location, radiant energy through the radiation shield, and other environmental factors than you'd ever get from the instrument itself, unless you were going to build a compliant Stevenson box. For example, having a tile roof and a Davis mounted on the chimney at the east end of my house, I'm sure the temp readings with a Davis would be overstated, especially with a slight breeze from the west picking up all the heat from the tiles.

          Now speaking about the LaCrosse, I compare barometric pressure readings with three nearby airports. I find that my pressure readings are a little low at the high end of the range and a little high at the low end of the range, by maybe a few hundreths at either end. I also have a feeling that the anemometer doesn't quite register the full wind speed under very windy conditions, but there's no easy way to verify that.

          Overall, though, I've been happy enough with the LaCrosse WS-2813U-IT that I bought another one on eBay for just over $100. It saved me having to load a bunch of software and configure it, because it was still loaded. It also saved me about $500 compared to the Davis instruments. And, it saved me and a lot of running upstairs. You see, I found that I could sync both weather stations with the outdoor components, so I have the original one conveniently located in the master bedroom and synced up to my USB receiver in the computer room across the hall, and now the second one downstairs. And, I have spare parts, some of which I can use to troubleshoot if I have a future problem.

          FYI, from a conversation with LaCrosse, even though the components look identical, you have to get the same model number or the components won't talk to each other.

          Mark

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 8, 2013

            My story is similar but I solved it for $100.  I have a LaCrosse (sorry don't recall the model and can't check it right now). I bought that particular model because of the wireless and web connectivity and price was tough to ignore ($80 at Costco vs $239 at LaCrosse). But you get what you pay for- hygrometer, temp sensor, rain gauge have all worked great and batteries last a couple of years. Anemometer has been a mess. Has never synch'd reliably and it was basically worn out after a year.

            Went looking at new stations (not LaCrosse) but got to thinking about my Dad's Davis Weather Monitor 2 located same site as mine with the Davis anemometer spinning away for 15 yrs without a hitch! However it does not have the weatherlink box that enables data storage and they are no longer availabe from Davis for the Weather Monitor and Weather Wizard products. I watched ebay until a station came along that had the weather link hardware. Bought it for $100, plugged it in, wasted a lot of time with the Davis software until I figured out WUHU would talk to it directly did some minor configuration of WUHU and bingo- works great plus I now have lots of spare parts. I just needed the weatherlink HW but seems to me this vintage of Davis full stations sell in the $150 range on ebay. Downside is no wireless.

            I'm new at this but I see no reason to pay Davis to use their server if you don't want to use their service. You need the weatherlink HW but on software side seems to me WUHU has it all. WUHU documentation is a little obtuse but everything needed to publish my data, feed custom html pages etc seems to be in WUHU if you look for it. I don't even run weatherlink software.

            The Davis and LaCrosse consoles now sit side by side. I agree with the prior comment that Davis seems more responsive on temp and pressure. I haven't looked at frequency of update but Davis seems to be really fast. Much faster than the LaCrosse that I have.

            ---In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, <jwpetrov@...> wrote:

            Hello all:

            Currently, I have a LaCrosse station and it has been working OK. However, the time has come to upgrade the station and I'm thinking of a Davis station. Over the past several years, I've really enjoyed having my station uploading data to WU. I definitely want to continue doing this.

            I have a few questions. A call to Davis was less than I would have hoped. I don't believe what I was told was accurate. Hence, I decided to ask some "real" experts.

            So, I'm trying to decide between the Vantage Vue and Vantage Pro2, both wireless. I've seen a few reviews stating that the Pro provides more accurate temp readings when in full sun. I was hoping the standard radiation shield would be sufficient. However, I see fans can be added later.

            From what I can determine, I'll need either the WeatherLinkIP or WeatherLink in order to upload the data to WU. (The Davis rep also told me I'd need an annual $30 WeatherLink subscription... not sure that was accurate.)