Re: [wuhu_software_group] RE: Time to Upgrade Weather Station

  • Don Lafferty
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 20, 2013
      I recently upgraded from OS WMR86 to VP2 and agree with all that was said before.  As for the WeatherLink software I didn't even break the plastic wrap for weeks.  It's pretty old technology as software goes.  Of course so is WUHU but WUHU is meant to do one main thing and it does it spectacularly (kind of like Teri Hatcher's breasts on Seinfeld ;)).  WUHU also does lots of other things and stays in the background for the most part.

      I am very glad I went to Davis.  It's a lot of money but it's the best.

      Don

      On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 4:15 PM, <marcelcanine@...> wrote:

      Any difference between a VUE and a VP2 will probably depend on location more than the sensor shields.    If you are going to get the aspirated VP2 it is much cheaper to buy it preinstalled rather than to add it later.

      You will need a Data Logger My opinion is that the USB one is the most flexable and gives you the most options.

      You do not need the subscription if you buy an IP data logger.     You would need one if you get any other logger but the Davis site is poor at best and most people do not upload to there anyway.

      I use a VP2 with USB logger and WUHU software.  It works just fine.       If you do buy be sure and read the weather link manual and set the logger to serial mode rather than USB mode if you are going to use WUHU or any other third party software.   If you set it to the USB mode it will only work with Weather link software. Which is OK but I would bet as a former WUHU user you will prefer WUHU.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, <jfesterling@...> wrote:

      I have the vantage Vue.  Yes, I know I needed the Weatherlink.  I am not paying any $30 subscription.  Not sure where that is coming from.

      KMNMARSH2  is the station call letters.

      John

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 20, 2013
        Jed,

        I don't know if there is a forum archives, but if you look back a bit, I was in the same position as you, except one of the components on my LaCrosse WS-2813U-IT died. (That's my assumption because I couldn't get it to resync -- hard or soft.) It was 2.5 years after purchase, so I wasn't distraught. I looked at the Davis stations and considered them, however I was concerned about the cluster of instruments on one mount. I didn't look into it far enough to see if you can break them apart, but it didn't seem like it. My situation was that I have a shady section of my yard where I could get quite accurate temp readings in full sun (in AZ, where we have FULL sun), 6 ft. off the ground as prescribed by the experts. I have my rain gauge in as open an area as can be found in my yard, and I have the AWV mounted above the chimney about 20 ft. off the ground.

        The idea of having to buy a fan on top of everything else, put me off of the Davis. Then there was the cost. While I don't doubt they are more accurate, I think there is far more variability in location, radiant energy through the radiation shield, and other environmental factors than you'd ever get from the instrument itself, unless you were going to build a compliant Stevenson box. For example, having a tile roof and a Davis mounted on the chimney at the east end of my house, I'm sure the temp readings with a Davis would be overstated, especially with a slight breeze from the west picking up all the heat from the tiles.

        Now speaking about the LaCrosse, I compare barometric pressure readings with three nearby airports. I find that my pressure readings are a little low at the high end of the range and a little high at the low end of the range, by maybe a few hundreths at either end. I also have a feeling that the anemometer doesn't quite register the full wind speed under very windy conditions, but there's no easy way to verify that.

        Overall, though, I've been happy enough with the LaCrosse WS-2813U-IT that I bought another one on eBay for just over $100. It saved me having to load a bunch of software and configure it, because it was still loaded. It also saved me about $500 compared to the Davis instruments. And, it saved me and a lot of running upstairs. You see, I found that I could sync both weather stations with the outdoor components, so I have the original one conveniently located in the master bedroom and synced up to my USB receiver in the computer room across the hall, and now the second one downstairs. And, I have spare parts, some of which I can use to troubleshoot if I have a future problem.

        FYI, from a conversation with LaCrosse, even though the components look identical, you have to get the same model number or the components won't talk to each other.

        Mark

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 21, 2013
            Just want to inform if somebody forgot it - WeatherLink original CD comes with USB data logger (for Davis Vue), on the Davis site you able only to download update for original program from CD.

            And another one, WeatherLink IP service on weather.com (a common Davis project) available only if you used DSL/cable connection to weather station!

            And here is some new from Davis: http://davisnet.com/weather/products/vantage-connect/remote-weather-data.asp

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 21, 2013

              As we speak, I am upgrading to Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless with Fan Aspiration from a LaCrosse which lasted less than a year.
              Yes, the Davis is expensive, but here's a tip not many know for a fairly large discount.

              Go to Ambientweather.com and sign up for an account. Once signed up and logged in, go to the Davis products section. You will see that all prices are lined out.
              Choose the ones you are interested in, enter your email and you will be sent the discounted price.

              I got my entire rig for just a few dollars over 1K. NOW thats a DEAL.

              Best wishes for sunny skies,
              Sunshine/Jenna
            • Don Lafferty

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 8, 2013

                      My story is similar but I solved it for $100.  I have a LaCrosse (sorry don't recall the model and can't check it right now). I bought that particular model because of the wireless and web connectivity and price was tough to ignore ($80 at Costco vs $239 at LaCrosse). But you get what you pay for- hygrometer, temp sensor, rain gauge have all worked great and batteries last a couple of years. Anemometer has been a mess. Has never synch'd reliably and it was basically worn out after a year.

                      Went looking at new stations (not LaCrosse) but got to thinking about my Dad's Davis Weather Monitor 2 located same site as mine with the Davis anemometer spinning away for 15 yrs without a hitch! However it does not have the weatherlink box that enables data storage and they are no longer availabe from Davis for the Weather Monitor and Weather Wizard products. I watched ebay until a station came along that had the weather link hardware. Bought it for $100, plugged it in, wasted a lot of time with the Davis software until I figured out WUHU would talk to it directly did some minor configuration of WUHU and bingo- works great plus I now have lots of spare parts. I just needed the weatherlink HW but seems to me this vintage of Davis full stations sell in the $150 range on ebay. Downside is no wireless.

                      I'm new at this but I see no reason to pay Davis to use their server if you don't want to use their service. You need the weatherlink HW but on software side seems to me WUHU has it all. WUHU documentation is a little obtuse but everything needed to publish my data, feed custom html pages etc seems to be in WUHU if you look for it. I don't even run weatherlink software.

                      The Davis and LaCrosse consoles now sit side by side. I agree with the prior comment that Davis seems more responsive on temp and pressure. I haven't looked at frequency of update but Davis seems to be really fast. Much faster than the LaCrosse that I have.

                      ---In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, <jwpetrov@...> wrote:

                      Hello all:

                      Currently, I have a LaCrosse station and it has been working OK. However, the time has come to upgrade the station and I'm thinking of a Davis station. Over the past several years, I've really enjoyed having my station uploading data to WU. I definitely want to continue doing this.

                      I have a few questions. A call to Davis was less than I would have hoped. I don't believe what I was told was accurate. Hence, I decided to ask some "real" experts.

                      So, I'm trying to decide between the Vantage Vue and Vantage Pro2, both wireless. I've seen a few reviews stating that the Pro provides more accurate temp readings when in full sun. I was hoping the standard radiation shield would be sufficient. However, I see fans can be added later.

                      From what I can determine, I'll need either the WeatherLinkIP or WeatherLink in order to upload the data to WU. (The Davis rep also told me I'd need an annual $30 WeatherLink subscription... not sure that was accurate.)