Good replacement for La Crosse WS2813U-IT

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2013
      It looks like my weather station has died after about 2.5 years. It worked great and the wireless installation was easy. I had to do a factory reset a couple times during the 2.5 years which was a pain, bringing the A/WV down from the roof. This last time I stopped getting data from the A/VW and despite repeated factory resets, I could not get any outside readings from any of the sensors when they were all siting together on my desk.

      I'd like the same features and noted a few new options in the same price range. The 2813 is still available, although I noticed a WS2815U-IT, which looked identical. Anyone aware of any differences or advantages? One advantage of another 2813 is that I'd have spare parts and I wouldn't have to do any setup of my reporting PC, although the WUHU conversion of the currdat.lst (or currlst.dat?) is a bit clunky, but it works.

      I know Davis is the Cadillac of the home weather station, with a price to match. I'm not totally averse to spending that much, but noticed that there are offerings by AmbientWeather and a few others. What are the group members' thoughts?

      Mark S.
      KAZPHOEN140 (currently offline)
    • Don Lafferty

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 9, 2013
          I have to second Don's comment.  I started with a LaCrosse station that constantly required maintenance and repair.  I actually bought a second one just for parts that had failed. And I lost a computer to lightning in the process.  It wasn't until I got a Davis system that I realized how much work it was to provide less than accurate data to the internet.  This was about six years ago.  My biggest maintenance issue now is to periodically clean the rain gauge.  Serving it off of a netbook is low cost and efficient, and the netbook can also serve cloud printing and Skype.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 9, 2013
            I have two La Crosse  WS, 2300 and 2350, the 2300 is transmitting data since spring 2006 and 2350 from the end of 2008.
            Both are running without any problems, in the last 3-4 years I didn't do anything in their maintance, clean the rain gauge now and then.
            In august 2007 I bought a La Crosse 3600, my biggest dissapointment and very short lived, until the end of 2008, struck by lightning like yours.
            I also have an independent anemometer, an Inspeed, a very good aquisition, bought in spring 2008, running perfectly.
            I usually check the data once a day, in the evening, but keep a close look, 24/7 on national service local WS and the airport, purely for comparison reasons.
            I can't say I'm very dissapointed with my La Crosse, cheap weather stations. I wish I could buy a Davis someday, not a project in the near future.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 9, 2013
              Thanks for the help so far.

              I can't complain too much about the accuracy. My high temp seemed to be pretty close to that of the main airport, once I found a good shady place to locate the thermo/hygro. That took some trial and error. The louvers on the T/H seemed to be pretty worthless and would report crazy high temps if in the sun. I'm in a shallow valley, not in a heat island, so nighttime temps were much cooler, as expected. Barometric pressure seemed to fall off a little at high pressures, but I set it to be within the range of the three closest airports and it had held steadily in that range for low and average pressures. My biggest problems were with the rain gauge, where the birds like to perch and occasionally, if they are facing the right (or wrong) direction, I get an erroneous reading ;-) or it needs cleaning. Also, changing batteries or moving the rain gauge gave erroneous readings when the little bucket moved. I'm sure I'd have at least that first problem on any rain gauge. It would be nice if the La Crosse had an on/off switch or something so that you could turn it off before moving it.

              With the Davis and their software, is it easy to correct false readings and can I pass the corrections on to WUHU and then to WU and WeatherBug? That was my biggest frustration with the La Crosse. There was no way to correct those readings in their software. I'd make notes on my station page to let people know. Does anyone else have correctable software?

              The wireless was a snap to set up, and I'd almost certainly go with that again.

              What does Davis or any other company offer at the entry level?

              Mark Stephenson
              WeatherUnderground: KAZPHOEN140 (temporarily off-line)

              ________________________________

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 10, 2013
                  I was looking at the Vantage Pro 2 and had a couple questions. Where does the 40' cable plug in? Also, am I correct that the software and hardware to connect the VP2 to a PC doesn't come with the VP2?

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 10, 2013
                    I don't know about a 40' cable.  I bought the wireless version.

                    You do need a Data Logger to connect to a PC.  You can get serial or USB.

                    The best price I could find was Rainman Weather (http://rainmanweather.com)

                    When you click on the Vantage Pro 2 and Weatherlink there is a window that tells you to enter your email to get a quote for a better price.  Do this!  Here's the link to the page.

                    The listed price is $684 but you will get a quote price of $489.95 (probably).

                    The Weatherlink (data logger) comes with the software if you want to use it.  I just use the weatherlink to connect to the PC and then WUHU to send my data to Wunderground and others.

                    The Davis software is pretty old but the people that use it seem to like all the features.

                    Don

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 10, 2013
                      I think the problem has just been solved in a way I didn't expect. After being off the reporting "grid" for a few days, a MADIS weather station (ME2739) popped up on WU literally 300 yards from my station. I thought my station had magically come back on line, which is impossible since all the pieces are sitting on my desk with the batteries out. It's in the same microclimate as mine, unlike four next closest stations 900 yards to just over a mile away.

                      I'm going to run by his house and see if I can spot and identify his weather station which is hopefully well placed.

                      While I'd like to have my own weather station, no sense spending $500+ to duplicate nearby efforts.

                      Does anyone know how long WU keeps the station info?

                      Thanks for the help everyone.

                      Signing off,

                      Mark S.
                      KAZPHOEN140