Re: Action to fill WUHU variable

  • patkern
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
      Don,

      This is the PHP code that I'm using to extract the METAR codes from NOAA's XML feed.

      Format: URL... "?icao=ksjc" (no quotes), or no icao for your default station.

      <CODE>

      <?php

      // error_reporting(E_ALL);
      error_reporting(0);

      date_default_timezone_set('America/Los_Angeles');

      if (empty($_GET['icao'])) {
      $icao = "ktcm";
      } else {
      $icao = htmlspecialchars($_GET['icao']);
      }

      // THIS IS CODE FOR EXTRACTING THE SKY & WEATHER TAGS.

      $xml = file_get_contents('http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobextXml.php?sid=' . strtolower($icao) . '&num=1');
      $x = simplexml_load_string($xml);
      $vars = $x->xpath('/station/ob/variable');
      foreach ($vars as $var) {
      // echo 'var='.(string)$var['var'].' value='.(string)$var['value']."\n";
      $v1 = (string)$var['var'];
      $v2 = (string)$var['value'];
      $skywx[$v1] = $v2;
      }

      $icao = strtoupper($icao);

      // ASSIGNING VALUES FROM THE STRING WILL BE DONE IN THE FOREACH() LOOP.

      $xml2 = file_get_contents('http://www.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/' . strtoupper($icao) . '.xml');
      $x2 = (array)simplexml_load_string($xml2);

      $x2out=strtolower($x2[weather]);

      // END

      print "
      <current_observation>
      <station_icao>$icao</station_icao>
      <metar_wx>$skywx[PRESWEA]</metar_wx>
      <metar_sky>$skywx[SKY]</metar_sky>
      <decoded_wx>$x2out</decoded_wx>
      </current_observation>
      ";

      ?>

      </CODE>

      There's another I use for extracting fields from the raw METAR, but that's really lengthy code.

      -Pat

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "patkern" wrote:

      > Hi, Don. Yes, I'll get that posted later tonight when I get home.
      >
      > I use VB.NET, as well, but all of my METAR scripts are on a Linux server so PHP is the native script of choice. :) It also allows for easier uploads to the MySQL server.
      >
      > -Pat
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty don@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Can you share the php file that you use? I get it using VB.NET but I would
      > > like to see a php implementation.
      > >
      > > Don
      > >

      > > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM, wuhu_software wuhu_software@wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > Can you be more specific about the "METAR results"?
      > > >
      > > > The observation data that you input is output to the currdat.lst file and
      > > > they are available for templates.
      > > >
      > > > Perhaps you are talking about other METAR data?

      > > > would then upload via Action.txt for outside web scripts that I am working
      > > > on.

      > > > have to build an outside application.

      > > > accomplish?

      > > > a URL?

      > > > METAR query and would like to include the result in another WUHU Action.

      > > --
      > > making something that doesn't suck.

    • Don Lafferty
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013