Re: Action to fill WUHU variable

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 21, 2013
      Can you be more specific about the "METAR results"?

      The observation data that you input is output to the currdat.lst file and they are available for templates.

      Perhaps you are talking about other METAR data?

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "patkern" <k7ibc@...> wrote:

      > Certainly. I would like to add the METAR results to WUHU variables that would then upload via Action.txt for outside web scripts that I am working on.
      >
      > The current PHP script that I use to extract the data is at
      > http://www.familylegacy.us/wx/xmltest.php
      > I would prune that down for the specific fields I need.
      >
      > I know that WUHU_Tweet does something similar, but I'm hoping to not have to build an outside application.
      >
      > Thanks.

      > > Can you give more details about what it is that you are trying to accomplish?
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "patkern" <k7ibc@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Is there an Action that will fill a WUHU variable with the result of a URL?
      > > >
      > > > I have a PHP script that will retrieve the plain text result of a METAR query and would like to include the result in another WUHU Action.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance.
      > > >
      > > > -Pat

    • Don Lafferty
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 21, 2013
        Can you share the php file that you use?  I get it using VB.NET but I would like to see a php implementation.

        Don

        On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

        Can you be more specific about the "METAR results"?

        The observation data that you input is output to the currdat.lst file and they are available for templates.

        Perhaps you are talking about other METAR data?

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "patkern" <k7ibc@...> wrote:

        > Certainly. I would like to add the METAR results to WUHU variables that would then upload via Action.txt for outside web scripts that I am working on.
        >
        > The current PHP script that I use to extract the data is at
        > http://www.familylegacy.us/wx/xmltest.php
        > I would prune that down for the specific fields I need.
        >
        > I know that WUHU_Tweet does something similar, but I'm hoping to not have to build an outside application.
        >
        > Thanks.

        > > Can you give more details about what it is that you are trying to accomplish?
        > >

        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "patkern" <k7ibc@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Is there an Action that will fill a WUHU variable with the result of a URL?
        > > >
        > > > I have a PHP script that will retrieve the plain text result of a METAR query and would like to include the result in another WUHU Action.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks in advance.
        > > >
        > > > -Pat

      • patkern
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
          Hi, Don. Yes, I'll get that posted later tonight when I get home.

          I use VB.NET, as well, but all of my METAR scripts are on a Linux server so PHP is the native script of choice. :) It also allows for easier uploads to the MySQL server.

          -Pat

          > Can you share the php file that you use? I get it using VB.NET but I would
          > like to see a php implementation.
          >
          > Don
          >

          > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Can you be more specific about the "METAR results"?
          > >
          > > The observation data that you input is output to the currdat.lst file and
          > > they are available for templates.
          > >
          > > Perhaps you are talking about other METAR data?
          > >

          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "patkern" <k7ibc@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Certainly. I would like to add the METAR results to WUHU variables that
          > > would then upload via Action.txt for outside web scripts that I am working
          > > on.
          > > >
          > > > The current PHP script that I use to extract the data is at
          > > > http://www.familylegacy.us/wx/xmltest.php
          > > > I would prune that down for the specific fields I need.
          > > >
          > > > I know that WUHU_Tweet does something similar, but I'm hoping to not
          > > have to build an outside application.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks.

          > > accomplish?

          > > a URL?

          > > METAR query and would like to include the result in another WUHU Action.

          > --
          > making something that doesn't suck.

        • patkern
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
            Don,

            This is the PHP code that I'm using to extract the METAR codes from NOAA's XML feed.

            Format: URL... "?icao=ksjc" (no quotes), or no icao for your default station.

            <CODE>

            <?php

            // error_reporting(E_ALL);
            error_reporting(0);

            date_default_timezone_set('America/Los_Angeles');

            if (empty($_GET['icao'])) {
            $icao = "ktcm";
            } else {
            $icao = htmlspecialchars($_GET['icao']);
            }

            // THIS IS CODE FOR EXTRACTING THE SKY & WEATHER TAGS.

            $xml = file_get_contents('http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobextXml.php?sid=' . strtolower($icao) . '&num=1');
            $x = simplexml_load_string($xml);
            $vars = $x->xpath('/station/ob/variable');
            foreach ($vars as $var) {
            // echo 'var='.(string)$var['var'].' value='.(string)$var['value']."\n";
            $v1 = (string)$var['var'];
            $v2 = (string)$var['value'];
            $skywx[$v1] = $v2;
            }

            $icao = strtoupper($icao);

            // ASSIGNING VALUES FROM THE STRING WILL BE DONE IN THE FOREACH() LOOP.

            $xml2 = file_get_contents('http://www.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/' . strtoupper($icao) . '.xml');
            $x2 = (array)simplexml_load_string($xml2);

            $x2out=strtolower($x2[weather]);

            // END

            print "
            <current_observation>
            <station_icao>$icao</station_icao>
            <metar_wx>$skywx[PRESWEA]</metar_wx>
            <metar_sky>$skywx[SKY]</metar_sky>
            <decoded_wx>$x2out</decoded_wx>
            </current_observation>
            ";

            ?>

            </CODE>

            There's another I use for extracting fields from the raw METAR, but that's really lengthy code.

            -Pat

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
              That works very well.  Thanks Pat!

              Don