Re: [wuhu_software_group] How to control a WS-2308 with win7 64-bit computer

  • Han Brouwer-Keij
    Message 1 of 12 , May 22, 2013
      Witch Heavyweather do you mean? I use Heavyweather pro WS2800 with windows 7 64 bit and it works fine. Before I used WUHU I used Heavyweather publisher and that worked also fine. Now I use Heavyweather pro WS2800 to fill the currdat.lst file with data and WUHU to read that and publish it on the internet.

      greatings,
      Han

      On 22-5-2013 7:26, a7t@... wrote:

      We need to control a Lacrosse WS-2308 using a computer running Win7 64-bit, and without a serial port. [Our old 32-bit machine had a serial port, and Heavyweather ran just fine. But Heavyweather does not work under Win7 64-bit.]

      1. Can you install WUHU and use direct serial mode to control and collect data from a Lacrosse WS-2308 weather station on a Win7 64-bit computer?

      2. Does anyone have a list of the actual commands you would type in at a terminal to control the WS-2308?

      3. I'm aware of the potential problems with "cheap" usb to serial adapters. I have one. I have a terminal program (accessport). With a list of the WS-2308 commands, I might be able to determine whether the adapter can communicate with the WS-2308.

      Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
      Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
      Versie: 2013.0.3343 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6346 - datum van uitgifte: 05/21/13

      Message 2 of 12 , May 22, 2013
        1) Yes

        2) You cannot type in a terminal to issue commands. The protocol is binary, encoded, and there are many hoops you need to jump through even under software control.

        3) If you have a decent USB to serial adapter, download and try it. The download link is on the main Yahoo group page.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "a7t@..." <a7t@...> wrote:

        > We need to control a Lacrosse WS-2308 using a computer running Win7 64-bit, and without a serial port. [Our old 32-bit machine had a serial port, and Heavyweather ran just fine. But Heavyweather does not work under Win7 64-bit.]
        >
        > 1. Can you install WUHU and use direct serial mode to control and collect data from a Lacrosse WS-2308 weather station on a Win7 64-bit computer?
        >
        > 2. Does anyone have a list of the actual commands you would type in at a terminal to control the WS-2308?
        >
        > 3. I'm aware of the potential problems with "cheap" usb to serial adapters. I have one. I have a terminal program (accessport). With a list of the WS-2308 commands, I might be able to determine whether the adapter can communicate with the WS-2308.
        >
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

      • Sunshine Kukulcan
        Message 3 of 12 , May 22, 2013
          I second what Han posted, I use the same setup with NO issues on a Win7pro 64 bit machine.
        • a7t@swbell.net
          Message 4 of 12 , May 22, 2013
            I use Heavyweather 2.0. According to Lacrosse, Heavyweather Pro does not work with the WS-23xx series. It is for the WS-28xx series, and is not downward compatible. Thanks.

            Message 5 of 12 , May 23, 2013
              Hi-
              Thanks for the information. Could you please elaborate a bit on items 2 and 3?

              2. I got the idea of terminal commands from: http://flakrat.blogspot.com/2008/03/lacrosse-ws2308-weather-station.html. It sounded like he controlled the ws-2308 with a simple perl script. Unfortunately, I don't know perl (or linux) so I didn't fully understand what he was doing.

              3. Do you still recommend the Sabrent SBT-USC6M adapter? It's less than half the price of the IOGear GUC232A. One of the techs at Lacrosse recommended the Cables Unlimited USB 2920. He said he's used it and it works fine.

              Thanks

              Message 6 of 12 , May 23, 2013
                The site says you can use PRO!
                http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2308/

                On 23-5-2013 8:04, a7t@... wrote:

                I use Heavyweather 2.0. According to Lacrosse, Heavyweather Pro does not work with the WS-23xx series. It is for the WS-28xx series, and is not downward compatible. Thanks.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Han Brouwer-Keij <han.brouwer-keij@...> wrote:

                > Witch Heavyweather do you mean? I use Heavyweather pro WS2800 with
                > windows 7 64 bit and it works fine. Before I used WUHU I used
                > Heavyweather publisher and that worked also fine. Now I use Heavyweather
                > pro WS2800 to fill the currdat.lst file with data and WUHU to read that
                > and publish it on the internet.
                >
                > greatings,
                > Han
                >
                > On 22-5-2013 7:26, a7t@... wrote:
                > >

                > > We need to control a Lacrosse WS-2308 using a computer running Win7
                > > 64-bit, and without a serial port. [Our old 32-bit machine had a
                > > serial port, and Heavyweather ran just fine. But Heavyweather does not
                > > work under Win7 64-bit.]
                > >
                > > 1. Can you install WUHU and use direct serial mode to control and
                > > collect data from a Lacrosse WS-2308 weather station on a Win7 64-bit
                > > computer?
                > >
                > > 2. Does anyone have a list of the actual commands you would type in at
                > > a terminal to control the WS-2308?
                > >
                > > 3. I'm aware of the potential problems with "cheap" usb to serial
                > > adapters. I have one. I have a terminal program (accessport). With a
                > > list of the WS-2308 commands, I might be able to determine whether the
                > > adapter can communicate with the WS-2308.
                > >
                > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
                > >

                > > Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                > > Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
                > > Versie: 2013.0.3343 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6346 - datum van uitgifte:
                > > 05/21/13
                > >

                > -----
                > Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                > Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                > Versie: 2013.0.3343 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6346 - datum van uitgifte: 05/21/13

                Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                Versie: 2013.0.3343 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6347 - datum van uitgifte: 05/22/13

                Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                Versie: 2013.0.3343 / Virusdatabase: 3184/6349 - datum van uitgifte: 05/22/13

              • Han Brouwer-Keij
                Message 7 of 12 , May 23, 2013
                  The manual says there is 'limited support' for Windows 7 64 bit but full support for the 32 bit version.
                  http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/pdf/HW_2.0_Installation.pdf

                  On 23-5-2013 8:04, a7t@... wrote:

                  I use Heavyweather 2.0. According to Lacrosse, Heavyweather Pro does not work with the WS-23xx series. It is for the WS-28xx series, and is not downward compatible. Thanks.

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Han Brouwer-Keij <han.brouwer-keij@...> wrote:

                  > Witch Heavyweather do you mean? I use Heavyweather pro WS2800 with
                  > windows 7 64 bit and it works fine. Before I used WUHU I used
                  > Heavyweather publisher and that worked also fine. Now I use Heavyweather
                  > pro WS2800 to fill the currdat.lst file with data and WUHU to read that
                  > and publish it on the internet.
                  >
                  > greatings,
                  > Han
                  >
                  > On 22-5-2013 7:26, a7t@... wrote:
                  > >

                  > > We need to control a Lacrosse WS-2308 using a computer running Win7
                  > > 64-bit, and without a serial port. [Our old 32-bit machine had a
                  > > serial port, and Heavyweather ran just fine. But Heavyweather does not
                  > > work under Win7 64-bit.]
                  > >
                  > > 1. Can you install WUHU and use direct serial mode to control and
                  > > collect data from a Lacrosse WS-2308 weather station on a Win7 64-bit
                  > > computer?
                  > >
                  > > 2. Does anyone have a list of the actual commands you would type in at
                  > > a terminal to control the WS-2308?
                  > >
                  > > 3. I'm aware of the potential problems with "cheap" usb to serial
                  > > adapters. I have one. I have a terminal program (accessport). With a
                  > > list of the WS-2308 commands, I might be able to determine whether the
                  > > adapter can communicate with the WS-2308.
                  > >
                  > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
                  > >

                  > > Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                  > > Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
                  > > Versie: 2013.0.3343 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6346 - datum van uitgifte:
                  > > 05/21/13
                  > >

                  > -----
                  > Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                  > Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                  > Versie: 2013.0.3343 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6346 - datum van uitgifte: 05/21/13

                  Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                  Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                  Versie: 2013.0.3343 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6347 - datum van uitgifte: 05/22/13

                  Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                  Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                  Versie: 2013.0.3343 / Virusdatabase: 3184/6349 - datum van uitgifte: 05/22/13

                • H. Smith
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 23, 2013

                    2) Have you ever implemented a protocol consists of encoding and decoding binary data? This requires a scripting or programming language to manipulate the data.  I would have to see the script. Perhaps he is manipulating a file output by HeavyWeather called the CURRDAT.LST file. This is an ASCII file in the form of a Windows INI file that can be parsed to extract the weather data. This is a completely different approach from communicating with the station.

                    3) I have only used the IOGear GUC232A and only XP. That adapter has the Prolific PL2303 chipset. The real quality of the USB to serial adapter comes down to the quality of the Windows driver. Poorly written drivers will cause machine lock-ups and Blue Screens of Death. You might use Google to see if there are any reviews for these adapters under Windows 7. There is nothing magical about these drivers but they do require someone who is competent in Windows drivers to write them. It is hit or miss. Perhaps someone here in the group has used a model other than the  IOGear one.

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 23, 2013
                      Thanks for the info and link. Lacrosse tech support told me Heavyweather Pro wouldn't work with a WS-2308. But they might be lying, wouldn't be the first time, and I know they'd really like to sell me a new weather station. I might as well try it and see what happens. Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 23, 2013
                        Thanks for the additional comments. Years and years ago I wrote DOS based programs that handled binary data.

                        The script I referred to can be found at: http://flakrat.blogspot.com/2008/03/lacrosse-ws2308-weather-station.html

                        I thought he was querying the WS-2308 directly. But since I don't know perl, I'm not sure.

                        Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 24, 2013
                          Looking at the code he is talking to the unit via serial.

                          There is more to the scripts, like the device object that actually talks to the console here:

                          But why go through all that work?