Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Sporadic Action File "On Weather Upload"

  • Steve Rogowski
    Message 1 of 37 , May 18, 2013
      Nevermind, I figured it out! My driver was from 2008 (version 5.3). I downloaded and installed version 6.6.1 from Dec 2012. Here are the bug fixes since my last version, anything of interest???

      Thanks,
      Steve

      CP210x Windows Driver Revision History
      --------------------------------------

      version 6.6.1
      New features/Enhancements
      -------------------------
      Added support for CP2108 devices

      Corrections
      -----------
      Corrected bug where OS would hang on repitition of many rapid open/closes on
      certain systems.

      version 6.6
      New features/Enhancements
      -------------------------
      Moving installer format to DPInst
      Supported under Windows 8

      Corrections
      -----------
      Corrected bug in total write timeout calculation
      Corrected bug where EV_BREAK event could be misreported based on incoming data
      Corrected another BSOD corner case regarding write cancellation

      version 6.5.3
      Corrections
      -----------
      Corrected BSOD corner case for a write cancellation

      Corrected memory leak that occurs when a device is plugged/unplugged rapidly enough to
      allow driver startup function to fail

      version 6.5
      Corrections
      -----------
      Corrected BSOD corner case issue for handling control requests

      Corrected issue where USB 3.0 hubs would deliver data to the driver out of order

      version 6.4
      Corrections
      -----------
      Corrected multiple BSOD issues by updating request handling for control requests to the USB
      device, and the write completion method

      Corrected device removal routine to also undo the COM port naming in the registry at removal time
      instead of when the device is closed after the removal.

      version 6.3a
      Corrections
      -----------
      Updated to 3.2 DriverInstaller to correct a bug seen when updating from an old driver
      installer version

      version 6.3
      Corrections
      -----------
      Corrected a bug introduced in 6.2 which caused BSOD during surprise removal.
      Corrected a bug found in I/O cancellation corner case
      version 6.2
      Corrections
      -----------
      Corrected return value for DeviceIoControl() and other COM API functions once the device is
      removed to properly show ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED (0x05) instead of ERROR_BAD_COMMAND in GetLastError()

      Corrected bug in DTR/RTS reporting latency seen if you set DTR/RTS and ask for it before the
      device has reported it to the host - now when it is written it reads back immediately

      Corrected several USB requests that were improperly defined as device requests when they are actually
      interface requests - this doesn't exhibit and bugs in current single interface devices but was changed
      to be complete and correct

      New features/Enhancements
      -------------------------
      Added support for CP2104 and CP2105 devices

      version 6.1
      Corrections
      -----------
      Corrected a memory leak which could bog the system down after extended use of a contiuously
      opened COM port, and conditionally yield bluescreens on certain systems

      Corrected a problem where an IO reqest would sometimes return a busy status to
      user mode, instead the queue is restarted if necessary before adding an IO request
      to the queue

      Corrected a condition which would blue screen on cancelling write request that hasn't been
      fully sent out USB

      Corrected the Capabilites return value, which incorrectly reported that timeouts are not supported

      Corrected several Queue size return values, which affected behavior in the MSCOMM control
      Corrected DTR/RTS value on device insertion, visible when Serial Enumeration is disabled

      Corrected the ability to override Baud Rate and Line Control from the INF file

      version 6.0
      Corrections
      -----------
      Corrected multiple blue screens and driver hangs related to race conditions in the driver
      Corrected problem where driver hangs when 4 or more devices are connected to a single
      transaction translator hub
      Corrected bugs that prohibited serial enumeration
      Corrected problem where IO requests were not completed/cancelled on a close
      Corrected problem with dialing out or PPP connections
      New features/Enhancements
      -------------------------
      Created IO queueing mechanism so that multiple reads, writes, etc. can be queued and
      waited on

      version 5.4.29
      Corrections
      -----------
      Fixed a bug which causes GET_COMM_STATUS to take longer than expected (previously corrected
      in version 5.3)
      Corrected several conditions which cause blue screens
      Corrected bug in surprise removal which can cause a blue screen
      Corrected bug where TX_EMPTY wasn't being reported properly

      New features/Enhancements
      -------------------------
      Added Windows 7 to the general installer for XP/2003/Vista under KMDF 1.9
      Modified driver to support selective suspend in Vista/7
      Updated silabenm.sys to include latest changes from serenum in the WDK
      WHQL Certified for XP/2003/Vista(32/64)/7(32/64)

      version 5.4.24
      Corrections
      -----------
      Fixed a bug which caused a random crash if a write took longer than normal to complete

      New features/Enhancements
      -------------------------
      WHQL Certified for XP/2000/2003/Vista(32/64)

      version 5.4.23
      Corrections
      -----------
      Fixed a bug which caused a crash if the device is surprise removed during communication.
      Fixed a bug which incorrectly uses the TX_EMPTY flag.
      Fixed incorrect/incosistent status return values.
      Corrected the default software flow control values

      version 5.4
      Corrections
      -----------
      Fixed bug where the first packet of data is dropped in Windows 2000.
      New features/Enhancements
      -------------------------
      Added support to keep all GPIO pin states and all baud rate and line control data if
      the device loses power during standby or hibernation.
      Updated to use the latest version 1.7 of KMDF

      On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Steve Rogowski <steve.rogowski@...> wrote:
      Ok. How do I go about deleting my current USB bridge driver and re-installing a new one?

      Thanks,
      Steve

      On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

      When the thread runs to process the On weather updates, and you have nothing in the file other than comments, the only thing that is going to happen is a few reads from a file and nothing else.

      I would suspect the USB bridge driver.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Steve Rogowski <steve.rogowski@...> wrote:

      > I did, thanks. But why would that affect the run with On History Weather
      > checked on (with action file commented out) and not On History Weather when
      > its checked off? I repeated the experiment and came up with 954 updates
      > when checked off, vs. 799 when checked on and action file commented out (a
      > 16% difference).
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Steve
      >

      > On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM, justaguy_brighton_mi <
      > justaguy_brighton_mi@...> wrote:
      >

      > > It is difficult to draw conclusions from just a couple of runs.
      > >
      > > Did you get my message about using the serial bridge that came with
      > > Weatherlink and not the other one you have installed?
      > >
      > > If I had to guess, this bridge you are using has a bug.
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Steve Rogowski
      > > <steve.rogowski@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I commented out one item at a time in my action file (using ";") and each
      > > > time had the same issue. I am doing On Weather Update every 8 seconds. I
      > > > ended up commenting out every line in the action file with no luck.
      > > >
      > > > I ran 1 hour with On Weather Update unchecked (only uploading to
      > > > WUnderground and CWOP) and it produced 1390 updates on the GUI. When I
      > > ran
      > > > 1 hour in the same configuration with On Weather Update checked (and
      > > every
      > > > item in my action file commented out), it only updated 827 times. I lost
      > > 40
      > > > percent of data during this period.
      > > >
      > > > I can verify that my action file was not executing when commented out as
      > > > the log file did not show my webservice or FTP.
      > > >
      > > > Steve

    • nwschi80
      Message 37 of 37 , May 20, 2013
        RESOLVED!! (I think)

        WUHU has been running like a champ for the last 15 hours, on each Weather Update (yes I know, but I love data). I still write to both files, execute my original action file (plus more scripts now), and upload to WUnderground (including RapidFire) and CWOP.

        Control Panel (classic view)-->System-->Device Manager. Found My new driver for the COM port-->Properties-->Port Settings. I did the following 3 things at the same time...

        1) Increased Baud rate from 9600 to 128000
        2) Changed Flow Control to Hardware

        On the Power Management Tab...
        3) Unchecked allow cpu to turn off device to save power.

        That was it. WUHU has been humming ever since then.

        Thanks all for your help!!