Time Change

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2006
      Just a note, whe I manually went in this morning to "Spring" my
      console time ahead, my WUHU software went OFL. I stopped and started
      it and it was still OFL. I next shut it down completely and then
      restarted it and it seems to be fine now.

      Steve
    • schaka1
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2007
        Musings, Great Thoughts and questions about the coming leap forward on
        March 11 to Daylight Savings Time

        First it seems pretty asinine to me to play around with the clock to
        get more daylight...!!

        Without a doubt the easy solution for personal computers is the
        updates that I hear Microsoft is offering for the newer operating
        systems. Translate: XP and Vista

        My question has to do with the interface between the WS23XX console
        and the time update.

        What is the best way to handle this to minimize data loss?

        BTW, 3 weeks from Sunday the onboard clock on the PC is set to
        automatically leap forward. The apparent solution is to turn off the
        auto update. Is that the BEST solution?
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2007

          schaka1,

          > First it seems pretty asinine to me to play around with the clock to
          > get more daylight...!!

          I think Benjamin Franklin devised the original daylight saving time. The rules and tricks to compensate were already tricky enough. I agree that is a just stupid to have changed the rules. I am sure this will cause issue with legacy systems.

          My belief is that this issue and others are un-avoidable when you have incompetent politicans making technical decisions of any sort. Another example that comes to mind is the push by the recording industry to basically ban all analog to digital (A/D) conversion chips in the U.S. unless they have copyright protection built in to them. Any engineer will tell you that this is about the most brain dead concept that they have ever heard! Do you think a politician would know better? Nope. They would not have a clue but they will probably pass that law if the price (aka kickback) is high enough. Call me a cynic.

          Here is an article on the effect of this new change on legacy systems that I found this morning:

          http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/03/04/business/daylight.php

          There will probably be no real issues between the PC time and the console time other than errors being posted in the log when the console is trying to find the WWVB radio signal during the 12am-7am period. These errors are typically ignored and not put in the log.

          After the time change over occurs, you will need to adjust the console to match the PC time.

          If everything goes well, you should not lose data.

          How CWOP, WU, and other servers will deal with this time change it is hard to say. Hopefully this will not be an issue. We will have to wait and see.

          As far as the MS patch to handle the new rules, it might already be in your system depending on when the patch was released and when your last update was.