Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: "Gauges" page

  • Don Lafferty
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5 12:33 AM
      I played around with the gauges and it's quite simple to make charts.  That said I think it would be better to use something like FusionCharts Free or even Highcharts.

      I use Highcharts at my work and we've bought the license.  Reading their website I believe as long as you are using them for personal use and not on a commercial site you don't have to pay.

      I really like highcharts the best of anything I've used.  I have used FusionCharts but I give the nod to HC.

      As for getting data onto a web server there are various ways.  Of course ftp is the easiest if you want to use just WUHU as the tool to get data there.  If we wanted to create something that would just do web page formatting and upload we could make something a lot more involved but I have doubts that it would get much use.

      Don

    • Rogo
      Message 2 of 14 , May 5 2:27 AM
        Don,

        Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into high charts.

        During the past few days I learned all about XML. I now FTP my data to my web server (using WUHU) everytime new data is received. Using XML, this makes updating numbers in my table flawless.

        This XML file only contains the variables of interest for current conditions and max/min/avg. I still have not investigated how to keep a running XML file of obs through many weeks or months on my server. Of course, I want to write a script that appends the new ob (minimizing upload file size) to the file on the server, and also checks to see if old obs can be deleted. Another day I suppose.

        Next I will tackle charting current obs since I have that data to work with.

        http://rogowx.org/wxstation/

        Thanks,

        > I played around with the gauges and it's quite simple to make charts. That
        > said I think it would be better to use something like FusionCharts Free or
        > even Highcharts.
        >
        > I use Highcharts at my work and we've bought the license. Reading their
        > website I believe as long as you are using them for personal use and not on
        > a commercial site you don't have to pay.
        >
        > http://www.highcharts.com/
        >
        > I really like highcharts the best of anything I've used. I have used
        > FusionCharts but I give the nod to HC.
        >
        > As for getting data onto a web server there are various ways. Of course
        > ftp is the easiest if you want to use just WUHU as the tool to get data
        > there. If we wanted to create something that would just do web page
        > formatting and upload we could make something a lot more involved but I
        > have doubts that it would get much use.
        >
        > Don

      • H. Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , May 5 5:55 AM
          Don,

          What does the embedded data look like for the Highcharts?

          Is this just a series of values in an XML file? Examples?

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 14 , May 5 8:36 AM
            Ajax ninja!

            Nice.

            On May 5, 2013, at 3:30 AM, "Rogo" <steve.rogowski@...> wrote:

            > Don,
            >
            > Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into high charts.
            >
            > During the past few days I learned all about XML. I now FTP my data to my web server (using WUHU) everytime new data is received. Using XML, this makes updating numbers in my table flawless.
            >
            > This XML file only contains the variables of interest for current conditions and max/min/avg. I still have not investigated how to keep a running XML file of obs through many weeks or months on my server. Of course, I want to write a script that appends the new ob (minimizing upload file size) to the file on the server, and also checks to see if old obs can be deleted. Another day I suppose.
            >
            > Next I will tackle charting current obs since I have that data to work with.
            >
            > http://rogowx.org/wxstation/
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Steve
            >
            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I played around with the gauges and it's quite simple to make charts. That
            >> said I think it would be better to use something like FusionCharts Free or
            >> even Highcharts.
            >>
            >> I use Highcharts at my work and we've bought the license. Reading their
            >> website I believe as long as you are using them for personal use and not on
            >> a commercial site you don't have to pay.
            >>
            >> http://www.highcharts.com/
            >>
            >> I really like highcharts the best of anything I've used. I have used
            >> FusionCharts but I give the nod to HC.
            >>
            >> As for getting data onto a web server there are various ways. Of course
            >> ftp is the easiest if you want to use just WUHU as the tool to get data
            >> there. If we wanted to create something that would just do web page
            >> formatting and upload we could make something a lot more involved but I
            >> have doubts that it would get much use.
            >>
            >> Don

            > WUHU Download page:

          • Don Lafferty
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5 9:22 AM
              http://jsfiddle.net/gh/get/jquery/1.9.1/highslide-software/highcharts.com/tree/master/samples/highcharts/demo/line-basic/

              There's an example of a simple line chart.  The data is typically passed in using JSON.

              I actually use CodeIgniter to do my web design/building.  CI is great if you understand the MVC (model view controller) but it does have a little learning curve.

              Don

              On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

              Ajax ninja!

              Nice.

              On May 5, 2013, at 3:30 AM, "Rogo" <steve.rogowski@...> wrote:

              > Don,
              >
              > Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into high charts.
              >
              > During the past few days I learned all about XML. I now FTP my data to my web server (using WUHU) everytime new data is received. Using XML, this makes updating numbers in my table flawless.
              >
              > This XML file only contains the variables of interest for current conditions and max/min/avg. I still have not investigated how to keep a running XML file of obs through many weeks or months on my server. Of course, I want to write a script that appends the new ob (minimizing upload file size) to the file on the server, and also checks to see if old obs can be deleted. Another day I suppose.
              >
              > Next I will tackle charting current obs since I have that data to work with.
              >
              > http://rogowx.org/wxstation/
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Steve
              >
              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I played around with the gauges and it's quite simple to make charts. That
              >> said I think it would be better to use something like FusionCharts Free or
              >> even Highcharts.
              >>
              >> I use Highcharts at my work and we've bought the license. Reading their
              >> website I believe as long as you are using them for personal use and not on
              >> a commercial site you don't have to pay.
              >>
              >> http://www.highcharts.com/
              >>
              >> I really like highcharts the best of anything I've used. I have used
              >> FusionCharts but I give the nod to HC.
              >>
              >> As for getting data onto a web server there are various ways. Of course
              >> ftp is the easiest if you want to use just WUHU as the tool to get data
              >> there. If we wanted to create something that would just do web page
              >> formatting and upload we could make something a lot more involved but I
              >> have doubts that it would get much use.
              >>
              >> Don

              > WUHU Download page:

            • H. Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , May 5 11:50 AM
                If I have time, maybe next weekend, I could create a couple of new INI variables to capture various variables over different time periods in a CSV format. You could not just use the replacement string like this:

                series: [{
                name: &#39;Temperature&#39;,
                data: [%[hourly]TemperatureF%]
                },