Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: "Gauges" page

  • Don Lafferty
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2013
      What charts/gauges would you like to see done?

      On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
      The Google Charts look quite simple.  I'll take a stab at it this weekend maybe to see if they really are.

      On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Rogo <steve.rogowski@...> wrote:

      Wow, I too would love to use something like Google Chart tools for my webpage. If someone could write up some instructions of how to do that, I would really appreciate it!

      > If you know a little PHP you could use FusionCharts or eZ Graph.
      > http://www.fusioncharts.com/goodies/fusioncharts-free/
      > http://ezcomponents.org/docs/tutorials/Graph
      >
      > Then there's always the Google Chart Tools.
      > https://developers.google.com/chart/
      >
      > I bet there are several people in this group that could do what you're
      > looking for.
      >
      > Don

    • atomicsgreg
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2013
        Basically the same thing the "Rapid Fire" sticker has on it

        Current Temp
        High/Low for the day
        Wind Speed
        Direction
        Rain Fall (since midnight)
        Dew Point (optional)
        Pressure
        Humidity

        That's just my "want list"

        > What charts/gauges would you like to see done?
        >

        > On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
        >
        > > The Google Charts look quite simple. I'll take a stab at it this weekend
        > > maybe to see if they really are.
        > >

        > > On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Rogo <steve.rogowski@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >> **
        > >>

        > >> Wow, I too would love to use something like Google Chart tools for my
        > >> webpage. If someone could write up some instructions of how to do that, I
        > >> would really appreciate it!
        > >>
        > >> Steve

        > > --
        > > making something that doesn't suck.
        > >

        > --
        > making something that doesn't suck.

      • Rogo
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2013
          Hey Don,

          I took a look at the Google page and think for me the biggest challenge is just to get the data read in for display. I've created Google Maps, etc in the past so that would be more trial and error for me.

          Specifically:

          1) How to display a gauge using current data?
          2) How to display a line chart using data for the past month (such as Temperature)?

          Being new to WUHU, I just learned how to manipulate the currdat.lst file for use online and how to create an action file. But as you know this file only contains current data plus extremes, rates and averages (not every data point from lets say the last month).

          So the way I see it, there needs to be 2 different procedures for data display. One using current data, and one to display data through time. The first one would seem like the easier of the two. For historical data (lets say a months worth), it would make more sense to me to have a csv file on the web server that gets added to with each ob (and a check to make sure you are not carrying more than 31 days of data). It doesnt make sense to do that locally and try to upload such a big file so often. At least thats what came to my mind.

          Any suggestions on how to get the data uploaded and read in to Google Charts is appreciated.

          Message 4 of 14 , May 5, 2013
            I played around with the gauges and it's quite simple to make charts.  That said I think it would be better to use something like FusionCharts Free or even Highcharts.

            I use Highcharts at my work and we've bought the license.  Reading their website I believe as long as you are using them for personal use and not on a commercial site you don't have to pay.

            I really like highcharts the best of anything I've used.  I have used FusionCharts but I give the nod to HC.

            As for getting data onto a web server there are various ways.  Of course ftp is the easiest if you want to use just WUHU as the tool to get data there.  If we wanted to create something that would just do web page formatting and upload we could make something a lot more involved but I have doubts that it would get much use.

            Don

          • Rogo
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2013
              Don,

              Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into high charts.

              During the past few days I learned all about XML. I now FTP my data to my web server (using WUHU) everytime new data is received. Using XML, this makes updating numbers in my table flawless.

              This XML file only contains the variables of interest for current conditions and max/min/avg. I still have not investigated how to keep a running XML file of obs through many weeks or months on my server. Of course, I want to write a script that appends the new ob (minimizing upload file size) to the file on the server, and also checks to see if old obs can be deleted. Another day I suppose.

              Next I will tackle charting current obs since I have that data to work with.

              http://rogowx.org/wxstation/

              Thanks,

              > I played around with the gauges and it's quite simple to make charts. That
              > said I think it would be better to use something like FusionCharts Free or
              > even Highcharts.
              >
              > I use Highcharts at my work and we've bought the license. Reading their
              > website I believe as long as you are using them for personal use and not on
              > a commercial site you don't have to pay.
              >
              > http://www.highcharts.com/
              >
              > I really like highcharts the best of anything I've used. I have used
              > FusionCharts but I give the nod to HC.
              >
              > As for getting data onto a web server there are various ways. Of course
              > ftp is the easiest if you want to use just WUHU as the tool to get data
              > there. If we wanted to create something that would just do web page
              > formatting and upload we could make something a lot more involved but I
              > have doubts that it would get much use.
              >
              > Don

            • H. Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2013
                Don,

                What does the embedded data look like for the Highcharts?

                Is this just a series of values in an XML file? Examples?

                Thanks

                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2013
                  Ajax ninja!

                  Nice.

                  On May 5, 2013, at 3:30 AM, "Rogo" <steve.rogowski@...> wrote:

                  > Don,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into high charts.
                  >
                  > During the past few days I learned all about XML. I now FTP my data to my web server (using WUHU) everytime new data is received. Using XML, this makes updating numbers in my table flawless.
                  >
                  > This XML file only contains the variables of interest for current conditions and max/min/avg. I still have not investigated how to keep a running XML file of obs through many weeks or months on my server. Of course, I want to write a script that appends the new ob (minimizing upload file size) to the file on the server, and also checks to see if old obs can be deleted. Another day I suppose.
                  >
                  > Next I will tackle charting current obs since I have that data to work with.
                  >
                  > http://rogowx.org/wxstation/
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Steve
                  >
                  > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I played around with the gauges and it's quite simple to make charts. That
                  >> said I think it would be better to use something like FusionCharts Free or
                  >> even Highcharts.
                  >>
                  >> I use Highcharts at my work and we've bought the license. Reading their
                  >> website I believe as long as you are using them for personal use and not on
                  >> a commercial site you don't have to pay.
                  >>
                  >> http://www.highcharts.com/
                  >>
                  >> I really like highcharts the best of anything I've used. I have used
                  >> FusionCharts but I give the nod to HC.
                  >>
                  >> As for getting data onto a web server there are various ways. Of course
                  >> ftp is the easiest if you want to use just WUHU as the tool to get data
                  >> there. If we wanted to create something that would just do web page
                  >> formatting and upload we could make something a lot more involved but I
                  >> have doubts that it would get much use.
                  >>
                  >> Don

                  > WUHU Download page:

                • Don Lafferty
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 5, 2013
                    http://jsfiddle.net/gh/get/jquery/1.9.1/highslide-software/highcharts.com/tree/master/samples/highcharts/demo/line-basic/

                    There's an example of a simple line chart.  The data is typically passed in using JSON.

                    I actually use CodeIgniter to do my web design/building.  CI is great if you understand the MVC (model view controller) but it does have a little learning curve.

                    Don

                    On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM, John Liss <john@...> wrote:

                    Ajax ninja!

                    Nice.

                    On May 5, 2013, at 3:30 AM, "Rogo" <steve.rogowski@...> wrote:

                    > Don,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into high charts.
                    >
                    > During the past few days I learned all about XML. I now FTP my data to my web server (using WUHU) everytime new data is received. Using XML, this makes updating numbers in my table flawless.
                    >
                    > This XML file only contains the variables of interest for current conditions and max/min/avg. I still have not investigated how to keep a running XML file of obs through many weeks or months on my server. Of course, I want to write a script that appends the new ob (minimizing upload file size) to the file on the server, and also checks to see if old obs can be deleted. Another day I suppose.
                    >
                    > Next I will tackle charting current obs since I have that data to work with.
                    >
                    > http://rogowx.org/wxstation/
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Steve
                    >
                    > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty <don@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I played around with the gauges and it's quite simple to make charts. That
                    >> said I think it would be better to use something like FusionCharts Free or
                    >> even Highcharts.
                    >>
                    >> I use Highcharts at my work and we've bought the license. Reading their
                    >> website I believe as long as you are using them for personal use and not on
                    >> a commercial site you don't have to pay.
                    >>
                    >> http://www.highcharts.com/
                    >>
                    >> I really like highcharts the best of anything I've used. I have used
                    >> FusionCharts but I give the nod to HC.
                    >>
                    >> As for getting data onto a web server there are various ways. Of course
                    >> ftp is the easiest if you want to use just WUHU as the tool to get data
                    >> there. If we wanted to create something that would just do web page
                    >> formatting and upload we could make something a lot more involved but I
                    >> have doubts that it would get much use.
                    >>
                    >> Don

                    > WUHU Download page:

                  • H. Smith
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 5, 2013
                      If I have time, maybe next weekend, I could create a couple of new INI variables to capture various variables over different time periods in a CSV format. You could not just use the replacement string like this:

                      series: [{
                      name: &#39;Temperature&#39;,
                      data: [%[hourly]TemperatureF%]
                      },