Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Wifi touch screen device.

  • KB3VEW
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
      Thanks for that comment Jenna. I have my Dash and it is still chugging along. I have lots of still working news apps, Netflix (never use it) GMAIL app and some weather apps. Right now its still serving a purpose.

      I do think based on what I see inside that even if they were to take the servers down it will maintain a degree of functionality. It has a limited browser. I just have never tried to do anything on my own without using their apps.

      I only paid about $65 for mine on an EBay Wholesaler Liquidation kind of thing a few years ago so I won't “lose” if it goes dark. But I hope they keep it going. I think its good they did that maintenance the other day, after all why do maintenance if your gonna turn it off anytime soon?
      Ron P

      Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:03 PM
      Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Wifi touch screen device.

      Ken and all group members:

      In the case of Chumby, it simply boiled down to a lack of interest. It was a small device that only did one thing. No one wants to purchase a one-trick pony.
      Same with Sony Dash. Sony did purchase the Chumby database, but again it is simply a lack of interest that is killing that one too.

      Both of these touchscreen wireless information machines had one large flaw...it was completely useless unless connected to a database. Would not
      even function as a simple clock. When Chumby went dark, they kept the database running with only one app--a clock/calendar. However, I let mine go because
      who wants to eat bandwidth for a clock/calendar?

      Sony just performed database maintenance the other day and was offline for approximately 5 hours. You are no longer able to obtain access to their application development database; and according to their site,
      "We recently sent out a notification that the Sony dash™ developer website (http://dash.developer.sony.com/) would close on February 29, 2012. On that date, the public app section of the website will officially close, and submissions of new public apps will no longer be accepted. This closure includes the dash developer forum and dash developer support email address (dash-support@...) which will close on March 31, 2012. However, in order to allow you to continue utilizing the Sony dash for your own private apps, we will not be closing the private app platform until February 28, 2013.
      We apologize for any confusion our original communication may have caused, and hope you continue to enjoy your Sony dash.

      Thank you,
      Team dash™

      I would put my eggs in the multi-function tablet based basket.

      Jenna