Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Wi-Fi touch screen device.

  • KB3VEW
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
      Hey Don,

      That’s funny. Im with you at WOOT! recommendation as well. They have got me for a “tad” more then $700 as well. Of course we now know that since WOOT! was bought by AMAZON it has become just that, a Mini Amazon . In fact I dropped about $100 there on Saturday. If you have not checked out the “Mr. Beam” line of Emergency lighting, that’s somethiung HAMS will appreciate. And I think that was a 3 day sale.

      But Woot! should definitely not be left out when looking for Electronics , Im typing this on my IBM / Lenovo ThinkPad brought to you from Woot!

      The thing about Bens Outlet and 1SaleAday is that they tend to have a page of Tablets every week or so and in the case of Bens they are available until stock runs out. Sometimes Woot! is a one day sale or a few days and then its gone until it comes back, if it comes back.

      But I do shop them all and that was a smart recommendation to bring up Woot! as well.

      Good recommendation as well!

      Ron P
      KB3VEW

      Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:18 PM
      Subject: Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Wifi touch screen device.

      There are several sites I check daily.  I wish I had only spent $700 at them.  ;)

      I also visit 1saleaday.com.

      Don

      On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM, KB3VEW <kb3vew@...> wrote:

      Two places that I have dealt with often, is www.bradsdeals.com and www.1saleaday.com.
      Now, these are discount wholesale “Blow Out” Sites that have had some great opportunities in the past. Brads Deals ships much faster the 1SaleAday. In order to see the Great Deals on 1saleaday (Called the FLASH area) you need to create a acct.

      I am not endorsing either and have no affiliation. But I have spend probably $600-$700 between the two sites and it has been trouble free. I think they are owned by same parent company BTW.

      Aliexpress can be hit or miss from what I have heard. I have seen some happy buyers get deals. Big issue is warranty. Sending anything back to China would be a nightmare. Just my opinion. CAVEAT EMPTOR on AliExpress

      Ron P
      KB3VEW

      Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2013 11:32 AM

      Are these tablets available from vendors like Amazon?

      That is a shockingly low price and I have never heard before.

      This is for a touch screen device?

      --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > You can pick up a 7" tablet with an older processor for as little as $35 from China sites like aliexpress. It probably more powerful than either of the units mentioned and you aren't tied to proprietary sites/apps. A small set of speakers and a little holder and you've your alarm, weather and more for the nightstand.
      >
      > I'm not a huge fan of Android but it what's there. And, with a 7" touch screen @ that price, I don't think that is the holdup. There were a number of picture frames and a bit more that were around and got clobbered by tablet/phone handiness.
      >
      > I've played with a GTV unit with limited success. The media companies are the holdup there. Some media providers are figuring it out but they are the minority. There are android TV devices in small packages with hdmi and Bluetooth that make any current TV into a useful device -- again cheap on China sites. Price/production cost have really driven the low side to really cheap availability of so many varied options.
      >
      > --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" <wuhu_software@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Jenna,
      > >
      > > Thanks for that tip.
      > >
      > > I was just wondering to myself, is the reason that these Wifi appliances are not gaining ground is because the smart phones can already do these takes?
      > >
      > > I like the idea of a cheap bedside touch screen Wifi device but I do not want to purchase a tablet or smart phone to perform this function.
      > >
      > > It would seem like a great idea to combine these functions in to the replacement for the old alarm clock that we have been using for decades.
      > >
      > > What is the problem? Production costs of the touch screens?
      > >
      > > This seems like a viable product.
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > > Heath
      > >

      > > --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, "Sunshine Kukulcan" <sunshine.is.always@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Chumby is dead. Sony Dash only runs their own proprietary software and has
      > > > been hinted it will be dead soon too.
      > > > I own/ed both.
      > > >
      > > > Jenna Jonteaux-McClay, MSN, RN
      > > > FIRST TIME POSTER!

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
        You can get/order on Amazon. But, they are shipped from China. Take a look on aliexpress.com for a ton more. They have 7, 8.9, and 10" touch screen models.

        Also, look at the TV one. No screen at all. Instead, HDMI to use the TV and Bluetooth for a combo keyboard, pad. Some look like a thumb drive and others are larger with typically more features.

        The low end one have an older processor. At around $100, you'll find nice dual processor and maybe even a quad or two. At the higher end you'll see some with HDMI/BT that can be used both mobile and TV streaming devices.

        > Are these tablets available from vendors like Amazon?
        >
        > That is a shockingly low price and I have never heard before.
        >
        > This is for a touch screen device?
        >

        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@> wrote:
        > >
        > > You can pick up a 7" tablet with an older processor for as little as $35 from China sites like aliexpress. It probably more powerful than either of the units mentioned and you aren't tied to proprietary sites/apps. A small set of speakers and a little holder and you've your alarm, weather and more for the nightstand.
        > >
        > > I'm not a huge fan of Android but it what's there. And, with a 7" touch screen @ that price, I don't think that is the holdup. There were a number of picture frames and a bit more that were around and got clobbered by tablet/phone handiness.
        > >
        > > I've played with a GTV unit with limited success. The media companies are the holdup there. Some media providers are figuring it out but they are the minority. There are android TV devices in small packages with hdmi and Bluetooth that make any current TV into a useful device -- again cheap on China sites. Price/production cost have really driven the low side to really cheap availability of so many varied options.

        > > > Jenna,
        > > >
        > > > Thanks for that tip.
        > > >
        > > > I was just wondering to myself, is the reason that these Wifi appliances are not gaining ground is because the smart phones can already do these takes?
        > > >
        > > > I like the idea of a cheap bedside touch screen Wifi device but I do not want to purchase a tablet or smart phone to perform this function.
        > > >
        > > > It would seem like a great idea to combine these functions in to the replacement for the old alarm clock that we have been using for decades.
        > > >
        > > > What is the problem? Production costs of the touch screens?
        > > >
        > > > This seems like a viable product.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks.
        > > >
        > > > Heath

      • Sunshine Kukulcan
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
          Ken and all group members:

          In the case of Chumby, it simply boiled down to a lack of interest. It was a small device that only did one thing. No one wants to purchase a one-trick pony.
          Same with Sony Dash. Sony did purchase the Chumby database, but again it is simply a lack of interest that is killing that one too.

          Both of these touchscreen wireless information machines had one large flaw...it was completely useless unless connected to a database. Would not
          even function as a simple clock. When Chumby went dark, they kept the database running with only one app--a clock/calendar. However, I let mine go because
          who wants to eat bandwidth for a clock/calendar?

          Sony just performed database maintenance the other day and was offline for approximately 5 hours. You are no longer able to obtain access to their application development database; and according to their site,
          "We recently sent out a notification that the Sony dash™ developer website (http://dash.developer.sony.com/) would close on February 29, 2012. On that date, the public app section of the website will officially close, and submissions of new public apps will no longer be accepted. This closure includes the dash developer forum and dash developer support email address (dash-support@...) which will close on March 31, 2012. However, in order to allow you to continue utilizing the Sony dash for your own private apps, we will not be closing the private app platform until February 28, 2013.
          We apologize for any confusion our original communication may have caused, and hope you continue to enjoy your Sony dash.

          Thank you,
          Team dash™

          I would put my eggs in the multi-function tablet based basket.

          Jenna

        • KB3VEW
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 14, 2013
            Thanks for that comment Jenna. I have my Dash and it is still chugging along. I have lots of still working news apps, Netflix (never use it) GMAIL app and some weather apps. Right now its still serving a purpose.

            I do think based on what I see inside that even if they were to take the servers down it will maintain a degree of functionality. It has a limited browser. I just have never tried to do anything on my own without using their apps.

            I only paid about $65 for mine on an EBay Wholesaler Liquidation kind of thing a few years ago so I won't “lose” if it goes dark. But I hope they keep it going. I think its good they did that maintenance the other day, after all why do maintenance if your gonna turn it off anytime soon?
            Ron P