Re: Disappearing Icon

  • dick_kf5sa
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
      Ron,

      I've seen this problem for years on XP through Win7, maybe even earlier. The area in the Task Bar you are referring to used to be called 'systray' but now seems to be called Notification Area. Icons seem to randomly disappear. You can get them back by doing a Start / Logoff and the Log back on. You may have to Log on to another account such as Guest, in between, I don't recall. I think this causes an icon cache to be refreshed. It hasn't happened to me in a while - running Win7, but it has happened on Win7.

      Dick

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
        I have seen this problem on XP machine as well. I spent a fair amount of time trying to track down the problem but never found the root cause.

        The easiest thing to do as other have mentioned is just pull up task manager and kill WUHU.exe then start a new copy (Start/Programs/WUHU).

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "dick_kf5sa" <shadowberr@...> wrote:

        > Ron,
        >
        > I've seen this problem for years on XP through Win7, maybe even earlier. The area in the Task Bar you are referring to used to be called 'systray' but now seems to be called Notification Area. Icons seem to randomly disappear. You can get them back by doing a Start / Logoff and the Log back on. You may have to Log on to another account such as Guest, in between, I don't recall. I think this causes an icon cache to be refreshed. It hasn't happened to me in a while - running Win7, but it has happened on Win7.
        >
        > Dick
        >

        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have had this problem in the past and never did find or get an answer to the problem.
        > >
        > > It has started happening again. Has anyone had this problem and what do you do the resolve it?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Ron

      • ronw72
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
          Dick,

          Yes, the soft boot takes care of it. I think the only icon that has disappeared for me is the W for WUHU. I wonder if it has anything to do with the "Hidden Icon" feature?

          Oh well, at least I'm not the only one it has happened to and it only happens once in awhile.(:

          Ron

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "dick_kf5sa" <shadowberr@...> wrote:

          > Ron,
          >
          > I've seen this problem for years on XP through Win7, maybe even earlier. The area in the Task Bar you are referring to used to be called 'systray' but now seems to be called Notification Area. Icons seem to randomly disappear. You can get them back by doing a Start / Logoff and the Log back on. You may have to Log on to another account such as Guest, in between, I don't recall. I think this causes an icon cache to be refreshed. It hasn't happened to me in a while - running Win7, but it has happened on Win7.
          >
          > Dick
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have had this problem in the past and never did find or get an answer to the problem.
          > >
          > > It has started happening again. Has anyone had this problem and what do you do the resolve it?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Ron

        • Edith
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
            If you use Alt-tab to rotate through open windows, does it show up there? I have a similar problem with firefox hiding in the group of open folders I might have open at the time. If you have other groups of icons open, it may be hiding with them?
            Edith

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
              I have seen this problem from time to time... There is no way to access it and Windows has completely dropped the icon from the tray. There is no way to recovery the user interface when this happens. I might run a few Google Searches to see if someone has made a discover in the past year or two.