Re: Disappearing Icon

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 26, 2013
      One of my favorite icons was John Wayne. He's dead. Which icons are you talking about? I am at a bit of a loss here.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@...> wrote:

      > I have had this problem in the past and never did find or get an answer to the problem.
      >
      > It has started happening again. Has anyone had this problem and what do you do the resolve it?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Ron

    • ronw72
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 26, 2013
        Sorry,

        The W on the task bar for WUHU. I have to reboot to get it back.

        Thanks,

        Ron

        > One of my favorite icons was John Wayne. He's dead. Which icons are you talking about? I am at a bit of a loss here.
        >
        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have had this problem in the past and never did find or get an answer to the problem.
        > >
        > > It has started happening again. Has anyone had this problem and what do you do the resolve it?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Ron

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 26, 2013
          Possible solutions differ across operating systems. Place to start is with the Task Manager to ascertain if the app is still present/loaded.

          My copy is running XT and I've not lost the icon but there is an anomaly -- Task Manager doesn't show it as active in the applications list. I'm not sure why. I run Heavy Weather to interface to it and that may have made it a child process. Seems odd though. Minimizing also removes the larger taskbar reference -- again unusual.

          Maybe Heath will have a better idea.

          Loss of the icon if it is still active might be OS related.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@...> wrote:

          > Sorry,
          >
          > The W on the task bar for WUHU. I have to reboot to get it back.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Ron
          >
          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > One of my favorite icons was John Wayne. He's dead. Which icons are you talking about? I am at a bit of a loss here.
          > >
          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have had this problem in the past and never did find or get an answer to the problem.
          > > >
          > > > It has started happening again. Has anyone had this problem and what do you do the resolve it?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > >
          > > > Ron

        • ronw72
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 26, 2013
            Thanks,

            I'm running XP, the process or program is still running according to the task manager. I had the same problem on an older computer that I've since replaced. The problem is intermittent, and it's been awhile since I had it with the old computer.

            One of those mysteries I guess.

            Ron

            > Possible solutions differ across operating systems. Place to start is with the Task Manager to ascertain if the app is still present/loaded.
            >
            > My copy is running XT and I've not lost the icon but there is an anomaly -- Task Manager doesn't show it as active in the applications list. I'm not sure why. I run Heavy Weather to interface to it and that may have made it a child process. Seems odd though. Minimizing also removes the larger taskbar reference -- again unusual.
            >
            > Maybe Heath will have a better idea.
            >
            > Loss of the icon if it is still active might be OS related.
            >

            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Sorry,
            > >
            > > The W on the task bar for WUHU. I have to reboot to get it back.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Ron

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 26, 2013
              With you being the only reporting user, I'd guess that it is hardware/driver related somehow. It is really the only or at least typical differentiation. With weather setups that's usually a serial driver. Might check for update or regress to an earlier version to see if that helps.

              Poor drivers could mung the stack which might cause a return to an unplanned location that fails to crash thing big time. Drivers have always been an ongoing issue/problem. When interrupt driven system came, the problem was exacerbated.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@...> wrote:

              > Thanks,
              >
              > I'm running XP, the process or program is still running according to the task manager. I had the same problem on an older computer that I've since replaced. The problem is intermittent, and it's been awhile since I had it with the old computer.
              >
              > One of those mysteries I guess.
              >
              > Ron
              >
              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Possible solutions differ across operating systems. Place to start is with the Task Manager to ascertain if the app is still present/loaded.
              > >
              > > My copy is running XT and I've not lost the icon but there is an anomaly -- Task Manager doesn't show it as active in the applications list. I'm not sure why. I run Heavy Weather to interface to it and that may have made it a child process. Seems odd though. Minimizing also removes the larger taskbar reference -- again unusual.
              > >
              > > Maybe Heath will have a better idea.
              > >
              > > Loss of the icon if it is still active might be OS related.
              > >

              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Sorry,
              > > >
              > > > The W on the task bar for WUHU. I have to reboot to get it back.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > >
              > > > Ron

            • KNHBRIST1
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 26, 2013
                Ron, I have experienced the same thing every once in a while over the years. I just blame Microsoft.
                I have had it happen in XP and Windows 7.

                Steve

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@...> wrote:

                > Thanks,
                >
                > I'm running XP, the process or program is still running according to the task manager. I had the same problem on an older computer that I've since replaced. The problem is intermittent, and it's been awhile since I had it with the old computer.
                >
                > One of those mysteries I guess.
                >
                > Ron
                >
                > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Possible solutions differ across operating systems. Place to start is with the Task Manager to ascertain if the app is still present/loaded.
                > >
                > > My copy is running XT and I've not lost the icon but there is an anomaly -- Task Manager doesn't show it as active in the applications list. I'm not sure why. I run Heavy Weather to interface to it and that may have made it a child process. Seems odd though. Minimizing also removes the larger taskbar reference -- again unusual.
                > >
                > > Maybe Heath will have a better idea.
                > >
                > > Loss of the icon if it is still active might be OS related.
                > >

                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Sorry,
                > > >
                > > > The W on the task bar for WUHU. I have to reboot to get it back.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > >
                > > > Ron

              • ronw72
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
                  Thanks for all of the replies.

                  Since it is only intermittent and I'm still uploading data I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

                  Ron

                  > Ron, I have experienced the same thing every once in a while over the years. I just blame Microsoft.
                  > I have had it happen in XP and Windows 7.
                  >
                  > Steve
                  >
                  > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > I'm running XP, the process or program is still running according to the task manager. I had the same problem on an older computer that I've since replaced. The problem is intermittent, and it's been awhile since I had it with the old computer.
                  > >
                  > > One of those mysteries I guess.
                  > >
                  > > Ron
                  > >
                  > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Possible solutions differ across operating systems. Place to start is with the Task Manager to ascertain if the app is still present/loaded.
                  > > >
                  > > > My copy is running XT and I've not lost the icon but there is an anomaly -- Task Manager doesn't show it as active in the applications list. I'm not sure why. I run Heavy Weather to interface to it and that may have made it a child process. Seems odd though. Minimizing also removes the larger taskbar reference -- again unusual.
                  > > >
                  > > > Maybe Heath will have a better idea.
                  > > >
                  > > > Loss of the icon if it is still active might be OS related.

                • Don Lafferty
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
                    Just blame Bill Gates.  That always makes me feel better.  ;)

                    On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 1:45 AM, ronw72 <1rondee@...> wrote:

                    Thanks for all of the replies.

                    Since it is only intermittent and I'm still uploading data I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

                    Ron

                    > Ron, I have experienced the same thing every once in a while over the years. I just blame Microsoft.
                    > I have had it happen in XP and Windows 7.
                    >
                    > Steve
                    >
                    > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > I'm running XP, the process or program is still running according to the task manager. I had the same problem on an older computer that I've since replaced. The problem is intermittent, and it's been awhile since I had it with the old computer.
                    > >
                    > > One of those mysteries I guess.
                    > >
                    > > Ron
                    > >
                    > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Possible solutions differ across operating systems. Place to start is with the Task Manager to ascertain if the app is still present/loaded.
                    > > >
                    > > > My copy is running XT and I've not lost the icon but there is an anomaly -- Task Manager doesn't show it as active in the applications list. I'm not sure why. I run Heavy Weather to interface to it and that may have made it a child process. Seems odd though. Minimizing also removes the larger taskbar reference -- again unusual.
                    > > >
                    > > > Maybe Heath will have a better idea.
                    > > >
                    > > > Loss of the icon if it is still active might be OS related.

                  • John Liss
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
                      Lol yup good old Bill

                      On Mar 27, 2013, at 7:30 AM, "Don Lafferty" <don@...> wrote:

                      Just blame Bill Gates.  That always makes me feel better.  ;)

                      On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 1:45 AM, ronw72 <1rondee@...> wrote:

                      Thanks for all of the replies.

                      Since it is only intermittent and I'm still uploading data I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

                      Ron

                      > Ron, I have experienced the same thing every once in a while over the years. I just blame Microsoft.
                      > I have had it happen in XP and Windows 7.
                      >
                      > Steve
                      >
                      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > >
                      > > I'm running XP, the process or program is still running according to the task manager. I had the same problem on an older computer that I've since replaced. The problem is intermittent, and it's been awhile since I had it with the old computer.
                      > >
                      > > One of those mysteries I guess.
                      > >
                      > > Ron
                      > >
                      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <yahoo@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Possible solutions differ across operating systems. Place to start is with the Task Manager to ascertain if the app is still present/loaded.
                      > > >
                      > > > My copy is running XT and I've not lost the icon but there is an anomaly -- Task Manager doesn't show it as active in the applications list. I'm not sure why. I run Heavy Weather to interface to it and that may have made it a child process. Seems odd though. Minimizing also removes the larger taskbar reference -- again unusual.
                      > > >
                      > > > Maybe Heath will have a better idea.
                      > > >
                      > > > Loss of the icon if it is still active might be OS related.

                    • dick_kf5sa
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
                        Ron,

                        I've seen this problem for years on XP through Win7, maybe even earlier. The area in the Task Bar you are referring to used to be called 'systray' but now seems to be called Notification Area. Icons seem to randomly disappear. You can get them back by doing a Start / Logoff and the Log back on. You may have to Log on to another account such as Guest, in between, I don't recall. I think this causes an icon cache to be refreshed. It hasn't happened to me in a while - running Win7, but it has happened on Win7.

                        Dick

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
                          I have seen this problem on XP machine as well. I spent a fair amount of time trying to track down the problem but never found the root cause.

                          The easiest thing to do as other have mentioned is just pull up task manager and kill WUHU.exe then start a new copy (Start/Programs/WUHU).

                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "dick_kf5sa" <shadowberr@...> wrote:

                          > Ron,
                          >
                          > I've seen this problem for years on XP through Win7, maybe even earlier. The area in the Task Bar you are referring to used to be called 'systray' but now seems to be called Notification Area. Icons seem to randomly disappear. You can get them back by doing a Start / Logoff and the Log back on. You may have to Log on to another account such as Guest, in between, I don't recall. I think this causes an icon cache to be refreshed. It hasn't happened to me in a while - running Win7, but it has happened on Win7.
                          >
                          > Dick
                          >

                          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I have had this problem in the past and never did find or get an answer to the problem.
                          > >
                          > > It has started happening again. Has anyone had this problem and what do you do the resolve it?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > >
                          > > Ron

                        • ronw72
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
                            Dick,

                            Yes, the soft boot takes care of it. I think the only icon that has disappeared for me is the W for WUHU. I wonder if it has anything to do with the "Hidden Icon" feature?

                            Oh well, at least I'm not the only one it has happened to and it only happens once in awhile.(:

                            Ron

                            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "dick_kf5sa" <shadowberr@...> wrote:

                            > Ron,
                            >
                            > I've seen this problem for years on XP through Win7, maybe even earlier. The area in the Task Bar you are referring to used to be called 'systray' but now seems to be called Notification Area. Icons seem to randomly disappear. You can get them back by doing a Start / Logoff and the Log back on. You may have to Log on to another account such as Guest, in between, I don't recall. I think this causes an icon cache to be refreshed. It hasn't happened to me in a while - running Win7, but it has happened on Win7.
                            >
                            > Dick
                            >

                            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "ronw72" <1rondee@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I have had this problem in the past and never did find or get an answer to the problem.
                            > >
                            > > It has started happening again. Has anyone had this problem and what do you do the resolve it?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > >
                            > > Ron

                          • Edith
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
                              If you use Alt-tab to rotate through open windows, does it show up there? I have a similar problem with firefox hiding in the group of open folders I might have open at the time. If you have other groups of icons open, it may be hiding with them?
                              Edith

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
                                I have seen this problem from time to time... There is no way to access it and Windows has completely dropped the icon from the tray. There is no way to recovery the user interface when this happens. I might run a few Google Searches to see if someone has made a discover in the past year or two.