Frozen indicator

  • Doug Thompson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
      We are have a bit of a wind and snow storm here in SE Colorado.  I noticed that my wind speed and direction indicator had failed, after rebooting the 12 year old laptop that runs my system without any change I got on some warm clothes and went out to the station.  After observing the faulty indicator for a bit I went back to the house got a broom and went back to the station smacked the indicator mast ( a 10 foot length of electrical conduit) with the broom.  Problem solved, I guess Weather Underground was correct when they reported freezing fog.

      KCOMANZA2
    • Brian R
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
        Doug,

        I had that problem a couple of years ago myself. Took me an entire day to work out that it was frozen!!!

        I have also had problems with batteries failing in the very cold which is another thread on here somewhere too.

        Man - I'd hate to be at the south pole looking after a weather station there - 10 minutes after each "clearing" of the gear, you have to go out and move another 10 feet of snow and ice. ;-)
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
          Hey Steve, what is that mountain over on the East Coast that you went to? Can you re-post a link to their real-time weather station again?

          Talk about outrageous winter. Sustained winds at 90+ MPH are common at that place.

          I get cold just thinking about it.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Brian R" <bjrichus@...> wrote:

          > Doug,
          >
          > I had that problem a couple of years ago myself. Took me an entire day to work out that it was frozen!!!
          >
          > I have also had problems with batteries failing in the very cold which is another thread on here somewhere too.
          >
          > Man - I'd hate to be at the south pole looking after a weather station there - 10 minutes after each "clearing" of the gear, you have to go out and move another 10 feet of snow and ice. ;-)

        • KNHBRIST1
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
            http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
              102 MPH gust in the last 24 hours.

              Amazing.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
                When I was up there we received wind gusting to 98.6 MPH while out on the deck. I don't remember the temp, but was well below zero F.
                We all lost our footings while out there, and got blown across the deck.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 25, 2013
                  That would be fun to be in those wind speed with say 80 degree temps in a tropical depression (not a hurricane).

                  I think the highest sustained winds that I have been in would be around 50-60 MPH. We have a lot of old growth trees around here and they start falling like twigs in even that kind of wind speed.

                  At 90 MPH, the state would be shut down and the national guard would have to come in to restore order.

                  A big part of that problem is that these large trees quickly engulf the power lines and the power company's tree trimming crews just can't keep up with the growth of the trees. It is always a battle.

                  > When I was up there we received wind gusting to 98.6 MPH while out on the deck. I don't remember the temp, but was well below zero F.
                  > We all lost our footings while out there, and got blown across the deck.
                  > Steve

                  > > 102 MPH gust in the last 24 hours.
                  > >
                  > > Amazing.
                  > >

                  > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "KNHBRIST1" <steve_03222@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                • Ken
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 25, 2013
                    "At 90 MPH, the state would be shut down and the national guard would have to come in to restore order."

                    Hadn't realized Detroit is that windy. ;-)
                  • H. Smith
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 25, 2013

                      When we do have events like that, it is a mess.

                      A few years back, an entire row of old trees fell on to the rooftops of homes.

                      What a mess.

                      I lost a fence and it just missed by roof line by inches.

                      Damn Chinese Elm. Stuff grows tall but it is weak. They grow like weeds.