Request to allow customised meteorological day

  • roadrunner2408
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2013
      G'day from down-under.

      I'm a long-time user of WUHU and I'm very happy with the software, albeit for one small annoyance. The meteorological day in Australia does not run from midnight to midnight, but rather from 9am to 9am.

      The ability to define the start and end times of the meteorological day, for such things as temperature extremes and total rainfall, would be very much appreciated. Would this be possible?

      Another request if I may. Before WUHU could report directly to the UKMO WOW, I developed a template to output the data in the WOW format, except for the date and time which needed to be in UTC. I could not find an *easy* way to provide the date and time in this format. Would it be possible to provide the date (YYYY, MM and DD) and time (HH, MM and SS) in UTC as additional time2 options for future user-defined application?
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
        Road runner,

        I wish I had known about that back when I wrote the application as it would have been a snap to code. Now that the program is 10s of thousands of lines, that might not be so easy. There are many calculations involving midnight. I will not say it is impossible until I have a look.

        It would probably fairly straight forward to do some things in the INI files along those lines but overall, especially where the weather servers are involved, that might not be easy because they define the standards, we do not.

        The other request should be easy to do. Please give specific examples including space, colons, commas, or any other formatting. Ideally, give the examples in INI format with double quotes around the contents of the variables.

        Thanks.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "roadrunner2408" <roadrunner2408@...> wrote:

        > G'day from down-under.
        >
        > I'm a long-time user of WUHU and I'm very happy with the software, albeit for one small annoyance. The meteorological day in Australia does not run from midnight to midnight, but rather from 9am to 9am.
        >
        > The ability to define the start and end times of the meteorological day, for such things as temperature extremes and total rainfall, would be very much appreciated. Would this be possible?
        >
        > Another request if I may. Before WUHU could report directly to the UKMO WOW, I developed a template to output the data in the WOW format, except for the date and time which needed to be in UTC. I could not find an *easy* way to provide the date and time in this format. Would it be possible to provide the date (YYYY, MM and DD) and time (HH, MM and SS) in UTC as additional time2 options for future user-defined application?

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
          <i>Now that the program is 10s of thousands of lines</i>
          Just wonder if you recall how many lines in V.01? I have watched the forum interchange and the featuritis that shows up. Feature creep is an insidious part of programming and specifying.

          My suggestion and solution was typically a freestanding ap that could access the data either in the database or as an export file. I have seen folks implementing your data in such a manner with html. I wonder if the solution here wouldn't be better served by such an approach.

          > Road runner,
          >
          > I wish I had known about that back when I wrote the application as it would have been a snap to code. Now that the program is 10s of thousands of lines, that might not be so easy. There are many calculations involving midnight. I will not say it is impossible until I have a look.
          >
          > It would probably fairly straight forward to do some things in the INI files along those lines but overall, especially where the weather servers are involved, that might not be easy because they define the standards, we do not.
          >
          > The other request should be easy to do. Please give specific examples including space, colons, commas, or any other formatting. Ideally, give the examples in INI format with double quotes around the contents of the variables.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "roadrunner2408" <roadrunner2408@> wrote:
          > >
          > > G'day from down-under.
          > >
          > > I'm a long-time user of WUHU and I'm very happy with the software, albeit for one small annoyance. The meteorological day in Australia does not run from midnight to midnight, but rather from 9am to 9am.
          > >
          > > The ability to define the start and end times of the meteorological day, for such things as temperature extremes and total rainfall, would be very much appreciated. Would this be possible?
          > >
          > > Another request if I may. Before WUHU could report directly to the UKMO WOW, I developed a template to output the data in the WOW format, except for the date and time which needed to be in UTC. I could not find an *easy* way to provide the date and time in this format. Would it be possible to provide the date (YYYY, MM and DD) and time (HH, MM and SS) in UTC as additional time2 options for future user-defined application?

        • H. Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
            Yes, hindsight is 20/20. If I were to do it over I would have used a mysql database rather that internal structures. Creating a console app / process only to run as a service would be nice.

            It would be late in the game for a re-structuring of the C++ version. I hope to get in to C# and perhaps port it over if time ever permits. There is never enough time to do all the things you would like to do.

            Until then I will make small patches here and there.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
              Thanks for the reply. I realise that changing the code to customise the met day might not be easy, or something that can be achieved in the short-term, but it should be something that is considered for future versions.

              As for the UTC output, it is hard to define an unknown. What I would suggest therefore is having separate date elements for YYYY(UTC) and its variant YY(UTC), MM(UTC) and DD(UTC), and time elements HH(UTC), MM(UTC) and SS(UTC). The convenience of having individual elements then allows the user to adapt to whatever format is required.

              Cheers from down-under

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 19, 2013
                Will take a look at it. I see what you are saying, just break UTC time and date in to individual elements.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 19, 2013
                  Yes please :)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2013
                    G'day from down-under.

                    I'm enquiring if any progress has been made regarding my request from about mid-March to output the individual date and time elements in UTC.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 6, 2013
                      I have not had a chance to do much lately as I am busy at work. Perhaps over the next couple of weekends there may be time.