Wind Data Question

  • weatherbugnathan
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
      Hey guys,

      One of our Backyard Station owners is trying to publish his station data to us, but since his wind sensor is non-functional currently, it's sending an erroneous reading causing his station data not to display.

      Is there something he can do inside WUHU to zero out the wind data so it just shows zero? That way his station can show up until he can get a functioning wind sensor again.

      I've attached the conversation below concerning this to help clarify things (removing all email addresses for privacy reasons). Any help would be much appreciated!

      Thanks!

      Nathan

      Hi Nathan,

      Sure, that would be great. Heath is very responsive to stuff like this, and if there is anything he can do from within WUHU, I'm sure he will.

      Thanks again!

      Chris H.

      On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Nathan Parker wrote:
      Hi Chris,

      Want me to get with WUHU and see if we can zero out your wind data temporarily while your wind sensor is down? If we can do that, it'll work.

      Right now it's sending us a value of 990 which is generating the issue. If I can get WUHU to somehow adjust their software to just send 0 when the sensor is down, then it'll work and you'll show up.

      Thanks!

      Nathan Parker

      WeatherBug Backyard
      by Earth Networks

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Christopher D. Sloop"
      Subject: RE: Backyard Station
      Date: March 1, 2013 8:13:37 AM CST
      To: Nathan Parker

      If he has settings in his software which just sends us zero for the wind speed, it should show up.

      http://data.backyard2.weatherbug.com/data/ecv.aspx?ID=p07106

      Right now it is sending a value of 990….

      Chris S. [[Chris S. is our CTO at WeatherBug. Chris H. is the Backyard Station owner with the issue]]

      From: "Chris H."
      Date: February 28, 2013 7:22:59 PM CST
      To: Nathan Parker

      HI again Nathan,

      Ah now I remember - I asked you about this last October. My anemometer is on the fritz, so I'm not sending wind data. Apparently that causes an error on your end, so my data doesn't show up on WeatherBug. I'm having a hard time finding a replacement anemometer, so I guess I'm out of luck with WeatherBug for the time being.

      Sorry for the hassle!

      Chris H.

      On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Chris H. wrote:
      Hi Nathan,

      I first noticed that my station wasn't showing data in the Weather Watcher Live Firefox add-in. Then I went to weatherbug.com, and did a search on the map, and my weather station wasn't showing up (others in the area were still showing up).

      In WUHU, it shows successful updates to WeatherBug, and no errors reported.

      Thanks for your help -

      Chris H.

      On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Nathan Parker wrote:
      Hi Chris!

      How are you trying to view your Backyard Station? WeatherBug.com or another way?

      Thanks!

      Nathan Parker

      WeatherBug Backyard
      by Earth Networks

      Chris H. WUHU "My station isn't showing up on the Weatherbug map, and my taskbar icon is blank. My WUHU software shows that I've been uploading successfully to Weatherbug, so I'm wondering what's going on? Anything I need to do from my end?
    • jack10562
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
        Nathan, Have him stop WUHU then go into the WUHU TWEAK settings and put a checkmark on the box to ignore all windspeeds above 0.0 and to NOT post rejected readings to the log. Then Restart WUHU.
        Good luck!

        Jack

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "weatherbugnathan" <backyard@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys,
        >
        > One of our Backyard Station owners is trying to publish his station data to us, but since his wind sensor is non-functional currently, it's sending an erroneous reading causing his station data not to display.
        >
        > Is there something he can do inside WUHU to zero out the wind data so it just shows zero? That way his station can show up until he can get a functioning wind sensor again.
        >
        > I've attached the conversation below concerning this to help clarify things (removing all email addresses for privacy reasons). Any help would be much appreciated!
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Nathan

        > Hi Nathan,
        >
        > Sure, that would be great. Heath is very responsive to stuff like this, and if there is anything he can do from within WUHU, I'm sure he will.
        >
        > Thanks again!
        >
        > Chris H.
        >

        > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Nathan Parker wrote:
        > Hi Chris,
        >
        > Want me to get with WUHU and see if we can zero out your wind data temporarily while your wind sensor is down? If we can do that, it'll work.
        >
        > Right now it's sending us a value of 990 which is generating the issue. If I can get WUHU to somehow adjust their software to just send 0 when the sensor is down, then it'll work and you'll show up.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Nathan Parker
        >
        > WeatherBug Backyard
        > by Earth Networks
        >
        > Begin forwarded message:
        >
        > From: "Christopher D. Sloop"
        > Subject: RE: Backyard Station
        > Date: March 1, 2013 8:13:37 AM CST
        > To: Nathan Parker
        >
        > If he has settings in his software which just sends us zero for the wind speed, it should show up.
        >
        > http://data.backyard2.weatherbug.com/data/ecv.aspx?ID=p07106
        >
        > Right now it is sending a value of 990�.
        >
        > Chris S. [[Chris S. is our CTO at WeatherBug. Chris H. is the Backyard Station owner with the issue]]

      • marcelcanine
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
          If he goes to TWEAKS and tells WUHU to reject all wind speed over 0 I think it will do what you want.

        • KNHBRIST1
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
            There is a box to check in the setup screen to disable wind sensor.
            Steve

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "marcelcanine" <marcelcanine@...> wrote:

            > If he goes to TWEAKS and tells WUHU to reject all wind speed over 0 I think it will do what you want.
            >
            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "weatherbugnathan" <backyard@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey guys,
            > >
            > > One of our Backyard Station owners is trying to publish his station data to us, but since his wind sensor is non-functional currently, it's sending an erroneous reading causing his station data not to display.
            > >
            > > Is there something he can do inside WUHU to zero out the wind data so it just shows zero? That way his station can show up until he can get a functioning wind sensor again.
            > >
            > > I've attached the conversation below concerning this to help clarify things (removing all email addresses for privacy reasons). Any help would be much appreciated!
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > Nathan

            > > Hi Nathan,
            > >
            > > Sure, that would be great. Heath is very responsive to stuff like this, and if there is anything he can do from within WUHU, I'm sure he will.
            > >
            > > Thanks again!
            > >
            > > Chris H.
            > >

            > > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Nathan Parker wrote:
            > > Hi Chris,
            > >
            > > Want me to get with WUHU and see if we can zero out your wind data temporarily while your wind sensor is down? If we can do that, it'll work.
            > >
            > > Right now it's sending us a value of 990 which is generating the issue. If I can get WUHU to somehow adjust their software to just send 0 when the sensor is down, then it'll work and you'll show up.
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > Nathan Parker
            > >
            > > WeatherBug Backyard
            > > by Earth Networks
            > >
            > > Begin forwarded message:
            > >
            > > From: "Christopher D. Sloop"
            > > Subject: RE: Backyard Station
            > > Date: March 1, 2013 8:13:37 AM CST
            > > To: Nathan Parker
            > >
            > > If he has settings in his software which just sends us zero for the wind speed, it should show up.
            > >
            > > http://data.backyard2.weatherbug.com/data/ecv.aspx?ID=p07106
            > >
            > > Right now it is sending a value of 990….
            > >
            > > Chris S. [[Chris S. is our CTO at WeatherBug. Chris H. is the Backyard Station owner with the issue]]

          • Chris R. Holt
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
              I'm the user Nathan's talking about.  When my anemometer went bad, I disabled the wind sensor in WUHU.  Out of all the places I upload to, Weatherbug is the only site that gets an error when there is no wind data.

              Chris Holt

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
                Based on the suggestions, I re-enabled the wind sensor, but set WUHU to reject wind speeds over 0.0.  When I compared the Weatherbug upload strings, I found that now the wind speeds were being sent as "0", instead of no data.  Looks like this solved the problem.

                Thanks for the suggestions all!

                Chris Holt

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
                  What was the error posted in the log when Weatherbug reported an error?

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Chris R. Holt" <crholt@...> wrote:

                  > Based on the suggestions, I re-enabled the wind sensor, but set WUHU to
                  > reject wind speeds over 0.0. When I compared the Weatherbug upload
                  > strings, I found that now the wind speeds were being sent as "0", instead
                  > of no data. Looks like this solved the problem.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the suggestions all!
                  >
                  > Chris Holt
                  >

                  > On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Chris R. Holt <crholt@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I'm the user Nathan's talking about. When my anemometer went bad, I
                  > > disabled the wind sensor in WUHU. Out of all the places I upload to,
                  > > Weatherbug is the only site that gets an error when there is no wind data.
                  > >
                  > > Chris Holt
                  > >

                  > > On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM, KNHBRIST1 <steve_03222@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> **
                  > >>

                  > >> There is a box to check in the setup screen to disable wind sensor.
                  > >> Steve
                  > >>

                  > >> --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "marcelcanine" <marcelcanine@>

                  > >> think it will do what you want.

                  > >> data to us, but since his wind sensor is non-functional currently, it's
                  > >> sending an erroneous reading causing his station data not to display.

                  > >> it just shows zero? That way his station can show up until he can get a
                  > >> functioning wind sensor again.

                  > >> things (removing all email addresses for privacy reasons). Any help would
                  > >> be much appreciated!

                  > >> this, and if there is anything he can do from within WUHU, I'm sure he will.

                  > >> temporarily while your wind sensor is down? If we can do that, it'll work.

                  > >> issue. If I can get WUHU to somehow adjust their software to just send 0
                  > >> when the sensor is down, then it'll work and you'll show up.

                  > >> wind speed, it should show up.

                  > >> Backyard Station owner with the issue]]

                • Chris R. Holt
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
                    No errors at all in the WUHU log; it showed sucessful upload to Weatherbug.  With the wind sensor disabled, this is what what it sent to Weatherbug and the response:

                    Fri Mar 08 13:39:43 2013 > WeatherBug Live Upload: Sending URL:http://data.backyard2.weatherbug.com/data/livedata.aspx?ID=p07106&Key=******&num=18702&dateutc=2013-03-08+21%3A39%3A37&winddir=&windspeedmph=&windgustdir=&windgustmph=&winddir_avg2m=&windspdmph_avg2m=&windgustdir_10m=&windgustmph_10m=&tempf=62.5&rainin=0.00&dailyrainin=0.06&baromin=29.87&dewptf=40.2&humidity=44&windchillf=&indoortempf=68.9&indoorhumidity=44&weather=&clouds=&softwaretype=WUHU21623XXSP&action=live
                    Fri Mar 08 13:39:45 2013 > WeatherBug Live Upload: Informational Only Response: Successfully Received QueryString Data

                    With the sensor re-enabled, and rejecting all wind speeds above 0.0, this was the string and response:

                    Fri Mar 08 13:39:43 2013 > WeatherBug Live Upload: Sending URL:http://data.backyard2.weatherbug.com/data/livedata.aspx?ID=p07106&Key=******&num=18702&dateutc=2013-03-08+21%3A39%3A37&winddir=&windspeedmph=&windgustdir=&windgustmph=&winddir_avg2m=&windspdmph_avg2m=&windgustdir_10m=&windgustmph_10m=&tempf=62.5&rainin=0.00&dailyrainin=0.06&baromin=29.87&dewptf=40.2&humidity=44&windchillf=&indoortempf=68.9&indoorhumidity=44&weather=&clouds=&softwaretype=WUHU21623XXSP&action=live
                    Fri Mar 08 13:39:45 2013 > WeatherBug Live Upload: Informational Only Response: Successfully Received QueryString Data

                    Nathan from Weatherbug said that "Right now it's sending us a value of 990 which is generating the issue."  Obviously, WUHU wasn't sending a value of 990, but my guess is that Weatherbug's software couldn't handle a null wind value and needed to have a "0" value if the sensor was disabled.  No other site has had a problem with a null wind value.

                    Chris Holt

                    On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

                    What was the error posted in the log when Weatherbug reported an error?

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Chris R. Holt" <crholt@...> wrote:

                    > Based on the suggestions, I re-enabled the wind sensor, but set WUHU to
                    > reject wind speeds over 0.0. When I compared the Weatherbug upload
                    > strings, I found that now the wind speeds were being sent as "0", instead
                    > of no data. Looks like this solved the problem.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the suggestions all!
                    >
                    > Chris Holt

                  • Chris R. Holt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
                      CORRECTION:

                      With the sensor re-enabled, and rejecting all wind speeds above 0.0, this was the string and response:

                      Fri Mar 08 13:42:18 2013 > WeatherBug Live Upload: Sending URL:http://data.backyard2.weatherbug.com/data/livedata.aspx?ID=p07106&Key=******&num=18702&dateutc=2013-03-08+21%3A42%3A17&winddir=0&windspeedmph=0.0&windgustdir=292&windgustmph=0.0&winddir_avg2m=292&windspdmph_avg2m=0.0&windgustdir_10m=292&windgustmph_10m=0.0&tempf=62.5&rainin=0.00&dailyrainin=0.06&baromin=29.86&dewptf=39.6&humidity=43&windchillf=63&indoortempf=69.1&indoorhumidity=44&weather=&clouds=&softwaretype=WUHU21623XXSP&action=live
                      Fri Mar 08 13:42:21 2013 > WeatherBug Live Upload: Informational Only Response: Successfully Received QueryString Data

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
                        When I have time I will make it send 0 if disabled.

                        That is if Weatherbug does not change the parser.