Re: [wuhu_software_group] Webcam Help

  • stevech@san.rr.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29 4:46 PM

      I assume your webcam is a network camera - connected to your wired or wireless LAN. If not, i.e., it's a USB camera on a PC, you'll need software like WebCam32 or one of the many others.

      In either case, your home router needs to port-forward incoming connections to the IP for the camera (or PC). If you have no other web server, this would be port 80. That camera or PC needs to have a static LAN address setup in your router, such as 192.168.1.80  or whatever your LAN is.

      I do this with my webcam. And I refer to it from my web pages.

      You'll also need a dynamic DNS service - either setup in your router or a client on a PC.

      It's all complicated sounding if you aren't a network geek.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31 4:04 AM
        Thank you for the info, but way above my head. Sounds like my web cam
        is working online, just need to run activeX. Thanks to Dan I now know
        that you can right click and make the image bigger.
        I just ordered soem extension cables so I can move the cam outside and
        to my back yard.
        Thanks to Ron & Dan for helping me out with this.
        I did download wheres James software. It is a much nicer picture, from
        the same camera. However I guess I will stick with geocities, since I
        can not get the picture to upload to the web through WheresJames.