Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Action File

  • John Liss
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 9, 2013
      Yah my buddy had the same issues with FTP and connection states, I found this on the support forums

      He ended up with a nasty batch file and then ditched godaddy hosting altogether because the FTP services were so flakey

      Hard to believe they limit to just 1 connection per ip.
      I don't know if Heath has time to re-work the FTP settings to limit the connections to just one.  Maybe you can sweet talk Heath into working on the client part in wuhu.  :). Or buy him a drink!

      I would think this affects lots of godaddy hosting ppl though.

      On Feb 9, 2013, at 3:37 PM, "Kris Olmstead, W2FLR" <otisco@...> wrote:

      John, you and Heath responded at the exact same time with the same
      conclusion.  Yes, I'm FTP'ing to GoDaddy but no one there knows if/what
      the FTP limitation is. I may have to go back to hosting my own web page
      which isn't all that bad, just one more thing to keep an eye on.

      Thanks to both of you.

      On 02/09/2013 01:07 PM, John Liss wrote:
      First i would reboot your router.
      Some older routers don't handle lots of open connections well.

      Then test

      Next, call your Hosting provider that hosts your website/FTP services.

      I know godaddy for one limits the number of FTP sessions, and stops them if they see too many.

      On Feb 9, 2013, at 9:34 AM, "Kris Olmstead, W2FLR" <otisco@...> wrote:

      No dice Heath.  It used to upload all files at once but now it uploads
      one at a time with a file size of zero.  If I use an FTP client to
      upload all 9 files, they will slowly drop to zero in size, then delete
      one by one.  This one has me confused. Even more confusing is why it
      worked so well for a week then stopped.

      Thanks for the pointer.

      On 02/09/2013 11:24 AM, wuhu_software wrote:

      If something has changed in your firewall, or at the FTP server, this
      might be interfering with the uploads.

      You might try using the FTP uploads in passive mode. Passive mode
      basically drops the requirement of your machine to allow inbound packets
      from the FTP server that are sometimes blocked by firewalls (hardware
      and software).

      To use passive mode, you specify the port to be used and P to indicate
      passive mode (no spaces inbetween the domain, port, and P).

       ftp://myusername:mypassword@...*:21P* ...

      Give that a try and let us know if it starts working.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Olmstead, W2FLR" wrote:

      Good Day to All,

      Recently, I've had an issue with my action file (maybe). I have it
      FTP'ing my HTML code to a remote web server. It's been working great
      since I threw it up last weekend but all of a sudden yesterday it
      started misbehaving. It uploads to the server but after a minute, one
      file at a time, it changes the file size to zero then deletes the file.
      All 9 files get deleted after 10 minutes.

      Nothing changed on my side and I've included a copy of my action file in
      case anyone can see an error.

      Again, this worked great for a week, then went belly-up yesterday.

      Thanks for looking.
      template:"c:\program files\wuhu\templates\wx1.txt" "c:\program
      files\wuhu\html\index.html"
      template:"c:\program files\wuhu\templates\wx2.txt" "c:\program
      files\wuhu\html\wx2.html"
      template:"c:\program files\wuhu\templates\wx3.txt" "c:\program
      files\wuhu\html\wx3.html"
      template:"c:\program files\wuhu\templates\wx4.txt" "c:\program
      files\wuhu\html\wx4.html"
      template:"c:\program files\wuhu\templates\wx5.txt" "c:\program
      files\wuhu\html\wx5.html"
      template:"c:\program files\wuhu\templates\wx6.txt" "c:\program
      files\wuhu\html\wx6.html"
      template:"c:\program files\wuhu\templates\wx7.txt" "c:\program
      files\wuhu\html\wx7.html"

      WUHU_Tweet.exe "%TimeDateExcel%|Temp %OutdoorTempDegF% F|Hum:
      %OutdoorHumidity% %|Pres %OutdoorPressureRelativeINHG% "|24Hr Rain
      %OutdoorRain24HrIN% "|Winds %OutdoorWindDirectionLetters%
      %OutdoorWindAverageSpeedMPH% MPH|Windchill: %OutdoorWindchillF% F"

      ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@... "C:\Program Files\WUHU\HTML\*.*" "\"

      WUHU Download page:

      WUHU Download page:

      WUHU Download page:

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         wuhu_software_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
         wuhu_software_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 9, 2013
        My experience with GoDaddy is that it is a great place to be from. With so many standards around, they flaunt them to try to lock people in. Instead of getting what you are expecting/looking-for, they piece meal out services and it always seems you need one more.

        There are a ton of sites that give you server access for about $5/mo. You get all the email accounts you want, all the blogs, all the forums and so on. Those with data limit are only going to kick in if you turn into a major site overnight.

        I grabbed this from one I used in the past that was good.

        Professional Web Hosting from Just Host

        Just Host is dedicated to providing their customers with the most reliable web hosting service possible.

        Fast, reliable, web hosting at an affordable price with secure servers, and 24/7 technical support

        make hosting your website with Just Host the obvious choice.

        Unlimited GB's of Space*
        Unlimited GB's of Transfer*
        Unlimited Domain Hosting
        Unlimited E-Mail Accounts
        Unlimited MySQL Databases
        FREE Site Builder
        FREE Domain Name Registration
        FREE Instant Setup
        Anytime Money Back Guarantee

        Free Domain Registration
        Free Instant Setup
        No Hidden Fees

        $6.95 Special Promo $3.25

        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 9, 2013
          I do believe there is only one log in per upload of multiple files that are uploaded one at a time. I would have to go back and look at the code to be sure.

          Just to let you know, a fifth of Old No. 7 Jack Daniels can always buy a software modification (or two).

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss wrote:

          > Yah my buddy had the same issues with FTP and connection states, I found this on the support forums
          > http://support.godaddy.com/groups/web-hosting/forum/topic/ftp-connection-limit/
          >
          > He ended up with a nasty batch file and then ditched godaddy hosting altogether because the FTP services were so flakey
          >
          > Hard to believe they limit to just 1 connection per ip.
          > I don't know if Heath has time to re-work the FTP settings to limit the connections to just one. Maybe you can sweet talk Heath into working on the client part in wuhu. :). Or buy him a drink!
          > http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/buy-us-a-drink/
          >
          > I would think this affects lots of godaddy hosting ppl though.
          >

          > On Feb 9, 2013, at 3:37 PM, "Kris Olmstead, W2FLR" wrote:
          >

          > > John, you and Heath responded at the exact same time with the same
          > > conclusion. Yes, I'm FTP'ing to GoDaddy but no one there knows if/what
          > > the FTP limitation is. I may have to go back to hosting my own web page
          > > which isn't all that bad, just one more thing to keep an eye on.
          > >
          > > Thanks to both of you.
          > >

          > > On 02/09/2013 01:07 PM, John Liss wrote:
          > >> First i would reboot your router.
          > >> Some older routers don't handle lots of open connections well.
          > >>
          > >> Then test
          > >>
          > >> Next, call your Hosting provider that hosts your website/FTP services.
          > >>
          > >> I know godaddy for one limits the number of FTP sessions, and stops them if they see too many.

          > >> WUHU Download page:

          > > WUHU Download page:

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
            And, you can own his first born for a case of Maker's Mark. ;)

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" wrote:

            > I do believe there is only one log in per upload of multiple files that are uploaded one at a time. I would have to go back and look at the code to be sure.
            >
            > Just to let you know, a fifth of Old No. 7 Jack Daniels can always buy a software modification (or two).
            >

            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss wrote:
            > >
            > > Yah my buddy had the same issues with FTP and connection states, I found this on the support forums
            > > http://support.godaddy.com/groups/web-hosting/forum/topic/ftp-connection-limit/
            > >
            > > He ended up with a nasty batch file and then ditched godaddy hosting altogether because the FTP services were so flakey
            > >
            > > Hard to believe they limit to just 1 connection per ip.
            > > I don't know if Heath has time to re-work the FTP settings to limit the connections to just one. Maybe you can sweet talk Heath into working on the client part in wuhu. :). Or buy him a drink!
            > > http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/buy-us-a-drink/
            > >
            > > I would think this affects lots of godaddy hosting ppl though.
            > >

            > > On Feb 9, 2013, at 3:37 PM, "Kris Olmstead, W2FLR" wrote:
            > >

            > > > John, you and Heath responded at the exact same time with the same
            > > > conclusion. Yes, I'm FTP'ing to GoDaddy but no one there knows if/what
            > > > the FTP limitation is. I may have to go back to hosting my own web page
            > > > which isn't all that bad, just one more thing to keep an eye on.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks to both of you.

            > > > WUHU Download page:

          • Kris Olmstead, W2FLR
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 15, 2013
              Back in town after a road trip. Heath, go get a bottle of Maker's Mark
              as Ken suggested before the 90 proof is no longer available. And thank
              you for the great program and continued interest and development.

              Thanks also to John and Ken. GoDaddy did something as my files no
              longer self-destruct and the site has been stable for a week.

              Whoo-hoo! (I mean WUHU!)

              //Kris
              http://www.fingerlakesweather.com

              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 15, 2013
                No worries Kris, I am a devote, JD is my preference. Thanks for the compliments.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Olmstead, W2FLR" <otisco@...> wrote:

                > Back in town after a road trip. Heath, go get a bottle of Maker's Mark
                > as Ken suggested before the 90 proof is no longer available. And thank
                > you for the great program and continued interest and development.
                >
                > Thanks also to John and Ken. GoDaddy did something as my files no
                > longer self-destruct and the site has been stable for a week.
                >
                > Whoo-hoo! (I mean WUHU!)
                >
                > //Kris
                > http://www.fingerlakesweather.com
                >

                > On 02/09/2013 06:12 PM, John Liss wrote:
                > >

                > > Yah my buddy had the same issues with FTP and connection states, I found
                > > this on the support forums
                > > http://support.godaddy.com/groups/web-hosting/forum/topic/ftp-connection-limit/
                > >
                > > He ended up with a nasty batch file and then ditched godaddy hosting
                > > altogether because the FTP services were so flakey
                > >
                > > Hard to believe they limit to just 1 connection per ip.
                > > I don't know if Heath has time to re-work the FTP settings to limit the
                > > connections to just one. Maybe you can sweet talk Heath into working on
                > > the client part in wuhu. :). Or buy him a drink!
                > > http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/buy-us-a-drink/
                > >
                > > I would think this affects lots of godaddy hosting ppl though.
                > >

                > > On Feb 9, 2013, at 3:37 PM, "Kris Olmstead, W2FLR" <otisco@...
                > > <mailto:otisco@...>> wrote:
                > >

                > >> John, you and Heath responded at the exact same time with the same
                > >> conclusion. Yes, I'm FTP'ing to GoDaddy but no one there knows if/what
                > >> the FTP limitation is. I may have to go back to hosting my own web page
                > >> which isn't all that bad, just one more thing to keep an eye on.
                > >>
                > >> Thanks to both of you.

                > >> WUHU Download page:
                > >>

                > >> wuhu_software_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                > >> <mailto:wuhu_software_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>

              • Steve Rogowski
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 5
                  Hello,

                  How can I have the Action File run a python script?

                  I put this command line in as a test and it did not run:
                  C:/Python35/python.exe C:/Python35/ftp_file.py

                  Note I am already using the action file to ftp and update files. I just want to be able to write python code that gets executed with every weather update.
                • John Liss
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 6

                    Try using backslashes.

                    C:/Python35/python.exe C:/Python35/ftp_file.py

                    Becomes:

                    C:\Python35\python.exe C:\Python35\ftp_file.py

                    It should work fine.

                    Any reason you’re not doing:

                    ftp://bob:fido@... "C:\Program Files\WUHU\data\data.csv" "\data\data.csv"

                    ftp://bob:fido@... "C:\Program Files\WUHU\data\*.*" "\data\"

                    Wuhu supports ftping with in an action file.

                    More here:

                    http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual/the-wuhu-software-manual/exporting-data-out-of-wuhu/performing-multiple-actions-in-wuhu-using-a-action-file/

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 7
                      Thanks I give it a shot.

                      I already have an action file setup for FTP. I want to kick off a python script with each observation to archive the information as well. My PHP script for this throws errors into the archived XML file at times. I feel that Python is much more powerful and more likely to be consistently correct. I utilize the XML file for archiving data as well as charting the data online.

                      Try using backslashes.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 14
                          Try:

                          C:\Python35\python.exe "C:\Python35\ftp_file.py"

                          So that the argument, the script name, is contained in double quotes.

                          Once you get it working you can use:

                          silient:C:\Python35\python.exe "C:\Python35\ftp_file.py"

                          So that it runs without making any window visible when it runs.

                          Notice there is a Help button where you enter the Action command lines and there are examples.
                        • Steve Rogowski