Re: CWOP Lat and Long Not Accepted

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1 4:55 AM
      This subject comes up every so often and shouldn't have to. I recall my encounter with CWOP.

      The thing is there are ways to handle the location data being input that range from klunky to elegant. My conversation with the sysop resulted in basically his saying, "My way or the highway, buster." and I chose the highway.

      It is stupid to alienate people helping your site from the their first encounter. It is done by being contrary to every other site out there. How dumb is that?
    • Doug Thompson
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2 2:03 PM
        For more than 3 years my station reported to CWOP without issue, then several months ago I started getting the same corrupted data message from them, I checked my set-up and could not see anything wrong.  When I contacted them I was basically told that my set-up was incorrect and that I should fix it.  Not even a glimmer of a clue as to how to address the issue was provided .  After thinking about it for a bit, rechecking my settings and factoring in that I had not changed anything I came to the conclusion that CWOP did not want my data.  So I logged into my WUHU software and unchecked the CWOP box.

        Problem solved.

        KCOMANZA2

        This subject comes up every so often and shouldn't have to.  I recall my encounter with CWOP.

        The thing is there are ways to handle the location data being input that range from klunky to elegant.  My conversation with the sysop resulted in basically his saying, "My way or the highway, buster."  and I chose the highway.

        It is stupid to alienate people helping your site from the their first encounter. It is done by being contrary to every other site out there.  How dumb is that?

        WUHU Download page:
      • Vince Harzewski
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2 7:32 PM
          Sounds like they're falling short on primary goal #3 (from
          http://wxqa.com/):

          3) to provide feedback to the data contributors so that they have the
          tools to check and improve their data quality.

          On 2/2/2013 5:03 PM, Doug Thompson wrote:
          > For more than 3 years my station reported to CWOP without issue, then several months ago I started getting the same corrupted data message from them, I checked my set-up and could not see anything wrong. When I contacted them I was basically told that my set-up was incorrect and that I should fix it. Not even a glimmer of a clue as to how to address the issue was provided . After thinking about it for a bit, rechecking my settings and factoring in that I had not changed anything I came to the conclusion that CWOP did not want my data. So I logged into my WUHU software and unchecked the CWOP box.
          >
          > Problem solved.
          >

          > KCOMANZA2

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3 5:36 AM
            Also obvious is the difference between him and Heath. Dumb questions are a matter of viewpoint. If you don't have the answer, it ain't dumb. Now I can be as brusk as the next guy. Heath goes beyond patient. This guy totallymakes up for that. The law of averages wins another round.

            Some people can only feel self-worth by putting down those around them. Sad life then.

            Ken KB9EU

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Vince Harzewski wrote:

            > Sounds like they're falling short on primary goal #3 (from
            > http://wxqa.com/):
            >
            > 3) to provide feedback to the data contributors so that they have the
            > tools to check and improve their data quality.
          • Jaye Ellen Burke
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3 4:00 PM
              Brusque as it may be, I also dropped CWOP because it seemed their data requirements were a bit more precise than my station was capable of providing.  Yes, life is indeed like that !!!

              Jaye Ellen KTNGALLA2 (commercial licensed but no ham ticket)