Re: Time....Its all we have

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
      The On Weather Update action fires whenever there is new data from the console. The On Update Seconds allows you to limit how often that event fires, it will fire no more often that the value you specify in seconds.

      There is currently no variable for projecting when the next weather update from the console will happen or when the next On Weather Update action will fire. One could make the assumption that the next web page update would be the next on Weather Update action firing but that would only be useful in that one particular case.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty wrote:

      > Ok I understand what you want but I don't know of any variable that you can
      > use. Need to wait for Heath or John to chime in.
      >

      > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Tony Randazzo wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hi again Don...I decided to put up a jpg image of what I am speaking
      > > about.
      > > Its at http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html
      > >
      > > Tony

    • Tony Randazzo
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
        Good Morning ----
        Ok thanks for the input Smile
        Tony

        Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:15 PM
        Subject: Re: [wuhu_software_group] Time....Its all we have

        Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:13 PM

        On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Tony Randazzo <tony@...> wrote:

        Hi Don..that’s for the suggestion...

        Sorry if it came across that I am attempting to get the information out right....I in fact am, trying to teach myself.
        I am just having a problem finding where the variables would be for that particular “action”
        also,
        Am I on the right path
        Do I need to make up a new string

        That’s what I getting at Smile

        Tony

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
          Not sure to who sent this over as there is no signature but...
          Your saying The WUHU OPERATION/ ALARMS/ACTIONS/ON WEATHER UPDATE can fire at anytime? I see, and have been aware of, the “**This alarm’s actions are not subject to time limits”
          But this doesn’t make sense to me.  You see, I actually have logs showing that there is the actual 00:09:45 between each upload to my FTP.  Instead of uploading a huge log file, please visit my page: http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html  there are 5 examples showing FTP uploads.
          So I do not fully understand what you mean be “a particular case.”
          As you see in my log at my website, that area IS doing what I have requested of it.
          How hard is it to make a variable that would represent that area?

          Tony

          Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 5:13 AM
          Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Time....Its all we have

          href="http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html">http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html

          > > Tony

          href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com
          > > *Subject:* Re: [wuhu_software_group] Time....Its all we have
          > >

          > > I'm still not quite sure what you're
          doing Tony. I think you want the
          > > page to tell you when the next
          update will be based on the last one. I
          > > don't see anything in the
          WUHU variables that would tell you the next
          > > update but you can get
          the current time and using a little javascript your
          > > page could look
          at that time and calculate when the next update should be
          > > based on
          your cycle time.

          > > Don
          > > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013
          at 2:33 PM, Tony Randazzo wrote:

          > >> **
          > >>
          > >> Hi Don..that's for the suggestion...
          > >>
          > >> Sorry if it came across that I am attempting to get
          the information out
          > >> right....I in fact am, trying to teach
          myself.
          > >> I am just having a problem finding where the variables
          would be for that
          > >> particular "action"

          also,
          > >> Am I on the right path
          > >> Do I need to make
          up a new string

          > >> That's what I getting at
          href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com
          > >> *Subject:* Re: [wuhu_software_group] Time....Its all we have
          > >>

          > >> I would suggest
          Javascript. There are a few programmers on here who
          > >> could
          quickly give you the code to use. I could do it with a bit of

          effort. ;)

          > >> Don

          such as %[time2]time_12hr_verbose%

          what I have been looking for, and testing out, are strings to simply
          Operation/
          Seconds
          as:
          other words if I have the OUS set to 600 seconds,and the current
          11:42

          the a. b. c. is to show the string I used and the outcome I got)

          %[time]next_actualisation%
          %[time]start_date_string%

          update: 3568552799
          18:00:55 2013

          Update Seconds to show the following:
          at 11:53

          PS the auto refresh trick is working as well...I have kept that sting

          > >> --
          > >> The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they
          start
          > >> making something that doesn't suck.
          > >>

          > > --
          > > The
          day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start

          making something that doesn't suck.

          > --
          > The day Microsoft starts
          making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
          > making something that
          doesn't suck.

        • Don Lafferty

            Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 5:13 AM

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
              Oh Confused smile

              Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 5:13 AM

              The On Weather Update action fires whenever there is new data from the console. The On Update Seconds allows you to limit how often that event fires, it will fire no more often that the value you specify in seconds.

              There is currently no variable for projecting when the next weather update from the console will happen or when the next On Weather Update action will fire. One could make the assumption that the next web page update would be the next on Weather Update action firing but that would only be useful in that one particular case.

              --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty wrote:

              > Ok I understand what you want but I don't know of any variable that you can
              > use. Need to wait for Heath or John to chime in.
              >

              > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Tony Randazzo wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Hi again Don...I decided to put up a jpg image of what I am speaking
              > > about.
              > > Its at http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html
              > >
              > > Tony

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                Featuritis can appear in many guises. You are the sole proponent for this feature. With thousands of copies of WUHU in use, that tells us something when you remain the sole proponent.

                Why do you go so long between update? Maintaining a weather feed is not a high bandwidth operation. You are updating a webcam every two minutes which does have much greater overhead. If you go to real-time feeds for WU, update frequency/countdown is mute.

                Reporting in a short time-frame is seldom dramatic. Most of the time we don't have to wait with baited breath to see the next result or countdown the minutes to it. Weather tends to flow slowly most of the time.
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                  I have to concur with Ken. While I would love to toss new features in to meet everyone's needs, I cannot invest my time in every want and need.

                  Now if you want to pay me to implement a feature, I will be happy to do that. I have worked with some companies to support stations that are not in the consumer market. They pay me for my time.

                  Now if there is a popular demand for something, a popular station, a new weather server, whatever, I will invest the time to implement new features.

                  Keep in mind that I do this as a hobby, on the weekends as I am too spent during the week to write more code after writing code all day.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                    The update action is event driven, based on the update from the console that is dependent on the console type.

                    Some stations report every 2.5 seconds, some report when new sensor data arrives, others happen at large intervals.

                    The update action will to fire more frequently than the On Update Seconds you specify.

                    The actual execution of the event is not precise and will more than likely drift over time. There is nothing that ties the On Update Action to the actual clock. To do that, you use time limiters.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                      Typo correction:

                      The update action will **NOT** fire more frequently than the On Update Seconds you specify.

                      I hate typos!