Re: [wuhu_software_group] Time....Its all we have

  • Don Lafferty
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 31, 2013
      Ok I understand what you want but I don't know of any variable that you can use.  Need to wait for Heath or John to chime in.

      On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Tony Randazzo <tony@...> wrote:

      Hi again Don...I decided to put up a jpg image of what I am speaking about.

      Tony

      Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:13 PM
      Subject: Re: [wuhu_software_group] Time....Its all we have

      I'm still not quite sure what you're doing Tony.  I think you want the page to tell you when the next update will be based on the last one.  I don't see anything in the WUHU variables that would tell you the next update but you can get the current time and using a little javascript your page could look at that time and calculate when the next update should be based on your cycle time.

      Don
      On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Tony Randazzo <tony@...> wrote:

      Hi Don..that’s for the suggestion...

      Sorry if it came across that I am attempting to get the information out right....I in fact am, trying to teach myself.
      I am just having a problem finding where the variables would be for that particular “action”
      also,
      Am I on the right path
      Do I need to make up a new string

      That’s what I getting at Smile

      Tony

      Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:55 PM

      I would suggest Javascript.  There are a few programmers on here who could quickly give you the code to use.  I could do it with a bit of effort.  ;)

      Don

      On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Tony R <tony@...> wrote:

      So far, I have learned that in order to make given data appear on my website I need to use variables, such as %[time2]time_12hr_verbose%

      But what I have been looking for, and testing out, are strings to simply take the Seconds entered at:
      WUHU Operation/
      Alarms/Actions
      On Update Seconds
      and have it show the next update time, such as:
      Next Update will be at:
      So in other words if I have the OUS set to 600 seconds,and the current time is 11:32 (am or pm), I would like the Next Update will be at: 11:42 local time to appear.

      Here are the strings and syntax I have been testing, but not producing what I am hoping for:
      (note the a. b. c. is to show the string I used and the outcome I got)

      I put in:
      a.) %[time]next_actualisation%
      b.) %[time]start_date_string%
      c.) %[time2]time_hms%

      I get in return:
      a.) Next update: 3568552799
      b.) Next Update Will Be At: Tue Jan 29 18:00:55 2013
      c.) Next Update Will Be At: 11:43:48

      Now what I am really liking is the C outcome, but how do I get it to add the seconds from the entry at On Update Seconds to show the following:
      Next Update will Be at 11:53

      Wordy I know..sorry,

      Tony

      PS the auto refresh trick is working as well...I have kept that sting handy, so thanks :)

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
        The On Weather Update action fires whenever there is new data from the console. The On Update Seconds allows you to limit how often that event fires, it will fire no more often that the value you specify in seconds.

        There is currently no variable for projecting when the next weather update from the console will happen or when the next On Weather Update action will fire. One could make the assumption that the next web page update would be the next on Weather Update action firing but that would only be useful in that one particular case.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty wrote:

        > Ok I understand what you want but I don't know of any variable that you can
        > use. Need to wait for Heath or John to chime in.
        >

        > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Tony Randazzo wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Hi again Don...I decided to put up a jpg image of what I am speaking
        > > about.
        > > Its at http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html
        > >
        > > Tony

      • Tony Randazzo
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
          Good Morning ----
          Ok thanks for the input Smile
          Tony

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
            Not sure to who sent this over as there is no signature but...
            Your saying The WUHU OPERATION/ ALARMS/ACTIONS/ON WEATHER UPDATE can fire at anytime? I see, and have been aware of, the “**This alarm’s actions are not subject to time limits”
            But this doesn’t make sense to me.  You see, I actually have logs showing that there is the actual 00:09:45 between each upload to my FTP.  Instead of uploading a huge log file, please visit my page: http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html  there are 5 examples showing FTP uploads.
            So I do not fully understand what you mean be “a particular case.”
            As you see in my log at my website, that area IS doing what I have requested of it.
            How hard is it to make a variable that would represent that area?

            Tony

            Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 5:13 AM
            Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Time....Its all we have

            href="http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html">http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html

            > > Tony

            href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com
            > > *Subject:* Re: [wuhu_software_group] Time....Its all we have
            > >

            > > I'm still not quite sure what you're
            doing Tony. I think you want the
            > > page to tell you when the next
            update will be based on the last one. I
            > > don't see anything in the
            WUHU variables that would tell you the next
            > > update but you can get
            the current time and using a little javascript your
            > > page could look
            at that time and calculate when the next update should be
            > > based on
            your cycle time.

            > > Don
            > > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013
            at 2:33 PM, Tony Randazzo wrote:

            > >> **
            > >>
            > >> Hi Don..that's for the suggestion...
            > >>
            > >> Sorry if it came across that I am attempting to get
            the information out
            > >> right....I in fact am, trying to teach
            myself.
            > >> I am just having a problem finding where the variables
            would be for that
            > >> particular "action"

            also,
            > >> Am I on the right path
            > >> Do I need to make
            up a new string

            > >> That's what I getting at
            href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com
            > >> *Subject:* Re: [wuhu_software_group] Time....Its all we have
            > >>

            > >> I would suggest
            Javascript. There are a few programmers on here who
            > >> could
            quickly give you the code to use. I could do it with a bit of

            effort. ;)

            > >> Don

            such as %[time2]time_12hr_verbose%

            what I have been looking for, and testing out, are strings to simply
            Operation/
            Seconds
            other words if I have the OUS set to 600 seconds,and the current
            11:42

            the a. b. c. is to show the string I used and the outcome I got)

            %[time]next_actualisation%
            %[time]start_date_string%

            update: 3568552799
            18:00:55 2013

            Update Seconds to show the following:
            at 11:53

            PS the auto refresh trick is working as well...I have kept that sting

            > >> --
            > >> The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they
            start
            > >> making something that doesn't suck.
            > >>

            > > --
            > > The
            day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start

            making something that doesn't suck.

            > --
            > The day Microsoft starts
            making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
            > making something that
            doesn't suck.

          • Don Lafferty

              Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 5:13 AM

                Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 5:13 AM

                The On Weather Update action fires whenever there is new data from the console. The On Update Seconds allows you to limit how often that event fires, it will fire no more often that the value you specify in seconds.

                There is currently no variable for projecting when the next weather update from the console will happen or when the next On Weather Update action will fire. One could make the assumption that the next web page update would be the next on Weather Update action firing but that would only be useful in that one particular case.

                --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty wrote:

                > Ok I understand what you want but I don't know of any variable that you can
                > use. Need to wait for Heath or John to chime in.
                >

                > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Tony Randazzo wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Hi again Don...I decided to put up a jpg image of what I am speaking
                > > about.
                > > Its at http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html
                > >
                > > Tony

              • Ken
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                  Featuritis can appear in many guises. You are the sole proponent for this feature. With thousands of copies of WUHU in use, that tells us something when you remain the sole proponent.

                  Why do you go so long between update? Maintaining a weather feed is not a high bandwidth operation. You are updating a webcam every two minutes which does have much greater overhead. If you go to real-time feeds for WU, update frequency/countdown is mute.

                  Reporting in a short time-frame is seldom dramatic. Most of the time we don't have to wait with baited breath to see the next result or countdown the minutes to it. Weather tends to flow slowly most of the time.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                    I have to concur with Ken. While I would love to toss new features in to meet everyone's needs, I cannot invest my time in every want and need.

                    Now if you want to pay me to implement a feature, I will be happy to do that. I have worked with some companies to support stations that are not in the consumer market. They pay me for my time.

                    Now if there is a popular demand for something, a popular station, a new weather server, whatever, I will invest the time to implement new features.

                    Keep in mind that I do this as a hobby, on the weekends as I am too spent during the week to write more code after writing code all day.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                      The update action is event driven, based on the update from the console that is dependent on the console type.

                      Some stations report every 2.5 seconds, some report when new sensor data arrives, others happen at large intervals.

                      The update action will to fire more frequently than the On Update Seconds you specify.

                      The actual execution of the event is not precise and will more than likely drift over time. There is nothing that ties the On Update Action to the actual clock. To do that, you use time limiters.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                        Typo correction:

                        The update action will **NOT** fire more frequently than the On Update Seconds you specify.

                        I hate typos!