CWOP Lat and Long Not Accepted

  • Zach
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
      I cant get the program to take my lat and long for the CWOP page. My Lat and long from http://mapper.acme.com/ is N 41.91656 W 88.15888 which is the exact place the station is located +/- 1 foot. But I cant get the software to take it, and when it does with the LORAN format given by NOAA it reports in the wrong place, NOAA sent this message.

      "Zachary,

      Your latitude and longitude in LORAN format are: N 41 54.9936, W 88 9.5328, respectively. There is a conversion tool in item #3 of the FAQ and this is where these values were obtained.

      Please enter these values, confirm that your site is located correctly on findu.com and then let me know so I can add your site to the active list.

      There is also a members forum where you can get assistance on issues. The link is http://www.wxforum.net/ (from the bottom of the FAQ page)."

      Any Idea Whats going wrong or what I should put in the fields to make it work.
    • KNHBRIST1
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
        Zach,
        This is what I have for CWOP;
        4335.69N
        07144.49W

        Not sure if showing my format will help you or not.
        Steve

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
          Im showing up in the middle of the pacific ocean

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
            Check this out. Should help.
            http://wxqa.com/faq.html

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
              I got it all figured out now.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "KNHBRIST1" wrote:

              > Zach,
              > This is what I have for CWOP;
              > 4335.69N
              > 07144.49W
              >
              > Not sure if showing my format will help you or not.
              > Steve
              >
              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Zach" wrote:
              > >
              > > I cant get the program to take my lat and long for the CWOP page. My Lat and long from http://mapper.acme.com/ is N 41.91656 W 88.15888 which is the exact place the station is located +/- 1 foot. But I cant get the software to take it, and when it does with the LORAN format given by NOAA it reports in the wrong place, NOAA sent this message.
              > >
              > > "Zachary,
              > >
              > > Your latitude and longitude in LORAN format are: N 41 54.9936, W 88 9.5328, respectively. There is a conversion tool in item #3 of the FAQ and this is where these values were obtained.
              > >
              > > Please enter these values, confirm that your site is located correctly on findu.com and then let me know so I can add your site to the active list.
              > >
              > > There is also a members forum where you can get assistance on issues. The link is http://www.wxforum.net/ (from the bottom of the FAQ page)."
              > >
              > > Any Idea Whats going wrong or what I should put in the fields to make it work.

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1 4:55 AM
                This subject comes up every so often and shouldn't have to. I recall my encounter with CWOP.

                The thing is there are ways to handle the location data being input that range from klunky to elegant. My conversation with the sysop resulted in basically his saying, "My way or the highway, buster." and I chose the highway.

                It is stupid to alienate people helping your site from the their first encounter. It is done by being contrary to every other site out there. How dumb is that?
              • Doug Thompson
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2 2:03 PM
                  For more than 3 years my station reported to CWOP without issue, then several months ago I started getting the same corrupted data message from them, I checked my set-up and could not see anything wrong.  When I contacted them I was basically told that my set-up was incorrect and that I should fix it.  Not even a glimmer of a clue as to how to address the issue was provided .  After thinking about it for a bit, rechecking my settings and factoring in that I had not changed anything I came to the conclusion that CWOP did not want my data.  So I logged into my WUHU software and unchecked the CWOP box.

                  Problem solved.

                  KCOMANZA2

                  This subject comes up every so often and shouldn't have to.  I recall my encounter with CWOP.

                  The thing is there are ways to handle the location data being input that range from klunky to elegant.  My conversation with the sysop resulted in basically his saying, "My way or the highway, buster."  and I chose the highway.

                  It is stupid to alienate people helping your site from the their first encounter. It is done by being contrary to every other site out there.  How dumb is that?

                  WUHU Download page:
                • Vince Harzewski
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 2 7:32 PM
                    Sounds like they're falling short on primary goal #3 (from
                    http://wxqa.com/):

                    3) to provide feedback to the data contributors so that they have the
                    tools to check and improve their data quality.

                    On 2/2/2013 5:03 PM, Doug Thompson wrote:
                    > For more than 3 years my station reported to CWOP without issue, then several months ago I started getting the same corrupted data message from them, I checked my set-up and could not see anything wrong. When I contacted them I was basically told that my set-up was incorrect and that I should fix it. Not even a glimmer of a clue as to how to address the issue was provided . After thinking about it for a bit, rechecking my settings and factoring in that I had not changed anything I came to the conclusion that CWOP did not want my data. So I logged into my WUHU software and unchecked the CWOP box.
                    >
                    > Problem solved.
                    >

                    > KCOMANZA2

                  • Ken
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 3 5:36 AM
                      Also obvious is the difference between him and Heath. Dumb questions are a matter of viewpoint. If you don't have the answer, it ain't dumb. Now I can be as brusk as the next guy. Heath goes beyond patient. This guy totallymakes up for that. The law of averages wins another round.

                      Some people can only feel self-worth by putting down those around them. Sad life then.

                      Ken KB9EU

                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Vince Harzewski wrote:

                      > Sounds like they're falling short on primary goal #3 (from
                      > http://wxqa.com/):
                      >
                      > 3) to provide feedback to the data contributors so that they have the
                      > tools to check and improve their data quality.
                    • Jaye Ellen Burke
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 3 4:00 PM
                        Brusque as it may be, I also dropped CWOP because it seemed their data requirements were a bit more precise than my station was capable of providing.  Yes, life is indeed like that !!!

                        Jaye Ellen KTNGALLA2 (commercial licensed but no ham ticket)