Re: [wuhu_software_group] Time....Its all we have

  • Don Lafferty
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 30, 2013
      I would suggest Javascript.  There are a few programmers on here who could quickly give you the code to use.  I could do it with a bit of effort.  ;)

      Don

      On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Tony R <tony@...> wrote:

      So far, I have learned that in order to make given data appear on my website I need to use variables, such as %[time2]time_12hr_verbose%

      But what I have been looking for, and testing out, are strings to simply take the Seconds entered at:
      WUHU Operation/
      Alarms/Actions
      On Update Seconds
      and have it show the next update time, such as:
      Next Update will be at:
      So in other words if I have the OUS set to 600 seconds,and the current time is 11:32 (am or pm), I would like the Next Update will be at: 11:42 local time to appear.

      Here are the strings and syntax I have been testing, but not producing what I am hoping for:
      (note the a. b. c. is to show the string I used and the outcome I got)

      I put in:
      a.) %[time]next_actualisation%
      b.) %[time]start_date_string%
      c.) %[time2]time_hms%

      I get in return:
      a.) Next update: 3568552799
      b.) Next Update Will Be At: Tue Jan 29 18:00:55 2013
      c.) Next Update Will Be At: 11:43:48

      Now what I am really liking is the C outcome, but how do I get it to add the seconds from the entry at On Update Seconds to show the following:
      Next Update will Be at 11:53

      Wordy I know..sorry,

      Tony

      PS the auto refresh trick is working as well...I have kept that sting handy, so thanks :)

    • Tony Randazzo
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 31, 2013
        Hi Don..that’s for the suggestion...

        Sorry if it came across that I am attempting to get the information out right....I in fact am, trying to teach myself.
        I am just having a problem finding where the variables would be for that particular “action”
        also,
        Am I on the right path
        Do I need to make up a new string

        That’s what I getting at Smile

        Tony

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 31, 2013
            This is from my CWOP Quality check page.

            Latitude: 43° 35' 42" N (deg min sec), 43.5949° (decimal), 4335.69N (LORAN)
            Longitude: 71° 44' 29" W (deg min sec), -71.7414° (decimal), 07144.49W (LORAN)

            Steve

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 31, 2013
              Hi again Don...I decided to put up a jpg image of what I am speaking about.

              Tony

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 31, 2013
                Ok I understand what you want but I don't know of any variable that you can use.  Need to wait for Heath or John to chime in.

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
                  The On Weather Update action fires whenever there is new data from the console. The On Update Seconds allows you to limit how often that event fires, it will fire no more often that the value you specify in seconds.

                  There is currently no variable for projecting when the next weather update from the console will happen or when the next On Weather Update action will fire. One could make the assumption that the next web page update would be the next on Weather Update action firing but that would only be useful in that one particular case.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
                    Good Morning ----
                    Ok thanks for the input Smile
                    Tony

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
                      Not sure to who sent this over as there is no signature but...
                      Your saying The WUHU OPERATION/ ALARMS/ACTIONS/ON WEATHER UPDATE can fire at anytime? I see, and have been aware of, the “**This alarm’s actions are not subject to time limits”
                      But this doesn’t make sense to me.  You see, I actually have logs showing that there is the actual 00:09:45 between each upload to my FTP.  Instead of uploading a huge log file, please visit my page: http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html  there are 5 examples showing FTP uploads.
                      So I do not fully understand what you mean be “a particular case.”
                      As you see in my log at my website, that area IS doing what I have requested of it.
                      How hard is it to make a variable that would represent that area?

                      Tony

                      Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 5:13 AM
                      Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Time....Its all we have

                      href="http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html">http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html

                      > > Tony

                      href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com
                      > > *Subject:* Re: [wuhu_software_group] Time....Its all we have
                      > >

                      > > I'm still not quite sure what you're
                      doing Tony. I think you want the
                      > > page to tell you when the next
                      update will be based on the last one. I
                      > > don't see anything in the
                      WUHU variables that would tell you the next
                      > > update but you can get
                      the current time and using a little javascript your
                      > > page could look
                      at that time and calculate when the next update should be
                      > > based on
                      your cycle time.

                      > > Don
                      > > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013
                      at 2:33 PM, Tony Randazzo wrote:

                      > >> **
                      > >>
                      > >> Hi Don..that's for the suggestion...
                      > >>
                      > >> Sorry if it came across that I am attempting to get
                      the information out
                      > >> right....I in fact am, trying to teach
                      myself.
                      > >> I am just having a problem finding where the variables
                      would be for that
                      > >> particular "action"

                      also,
                      > >> Am I on the right path
                      > >> Do I need to make
                      up a new string

                      > >> That's what I getting at
                      href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com
                      > >> *Subject:* Re: [wuhu_software_group] Time....Its all we have
                      > >>

                      > >> I would suggest
                      Javascript. There are a few programmers on here who
                      > >> could
                      quickly give you the code to use. I could do it with a bit of

                      effort. ;)

                      > >> Don

                      such as %[time2]time_12hr_verbose%

                      what I have been looking for, and testing out, are strings to simply
                      Operation/
                      Seconds
                      other words if I have the OUS set to 600 seconds,and the current
                      11:42

                      the a. b. c. is to show the string I used and the outcome I got)

                      %[time]next_actualisation%
                      %[time]start_date_string%

                      update: 3568552799

                      Update Seconds to show the following:
                      at 11:53

                      PS the auto refresh trick is working as well...I have kept that sting

                      > >> --
                      > >> The day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they
                      start
                      > >> making something that doesn't suck.
                      > >>

                      > > --
                      > > The
                      day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners is the day they start

                      making something that doesn't suck.

                      > --
                      > The day Microsoft starts
                      making vacuum cleaners is the day they start
                      > making something that
                      doesn't suck.

                    • Don Lafferty

                        Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 5:13 AM

                          Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 5:13 AM

                          The On Weather Update action fires whenever there is new data from the console. The On Update Seconds allows you to limit how often that event fires, it will fire no more often that the value you specify in seconds.

                          There is currently no variable for projecting when the next weather update from the console will happen or when the next On Weather Update action will fire. One could make the assumption that the next web page update would be the next on Weather Update action firing but that would only be useful in that one particular case.

                          --- In mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, Don Lafferty wrote:

                          > Ok I understand what you want but I don't know of any variable that you can
                          > use. Need to wait for Heath or John to chime in.
                          >

                          > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Tony Randazzo wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > Hi again Don...I decided to put up a jpg image of what I am speaking
                          > > about.
                          > > Its at http://www.kbaam.com/wuhu/wx_help.html
                          > >
                          > > Tony

                        • Ken
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                            Featuritis can appear in many guises. You are the sole proponent for this feature. With thousands of copies of WUHU in use, that tells us something when you remain the sole proponent.

                            Why do you go so long between update? Maintaining a weather feed is not a high bandwidth operation. You are updating a webcam every two minutes which does have much greater overhead. If you go to real-time feeds for WU, update frequency/countdown is mute.

                            Reporting in a short time-frame is seldom dramatic. Most of the time we don't have to wait with baited breath to see the next result or countdown the minutes to it. Weather tends to flow slowly most of the time.
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                              I have to concur with Ken. While I would love to toss new features in to meet everyone's needs, I cannot invest my time in every want and need.

                              Now if you want to pay me to implement a feature, I will be happy to do that. I have worked with some companies to support stations that are not in the consumer market. They pay me for my time.

                              Now if there is a popular demand for something, a popular station, a new weather server, whatever, I will invest the time to implement new features.

                              Keep in mind that I do this as a hobby, on the weekends as I am too spent during the week to write more code after writing code all day.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                                The update action is event driven, based on the update from the console that is dependent on the console type.

                                Some stations report every 2.5 seconds, some report when new sensor data arrives, others happen at large intervals.

                                The update action will to fire more frequently than the On Update Seconds you specify.

                                The actual execution of the event is not precise and will more than likely drift over time. There is nothing that ties the On Update Action to the actual clock. To do that, you use time limiters.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                                  Typo correction:

                                  The update action will **NOT** fire more frequently than the On Update Seconds you specify.

                                  I hate typos!