Re: [wuhu_software_group] Newbie questions

  • Don Lafferty
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 13, 2013
      I believe wireless will work just as well as wired provided you meet the requirement listed on the Davis website about that.

      I can't help you with #2

      All 3 data loggers are similar but it's probably best to use the Serial if you already have a serial port.  The USB version requires some other software I believe.  Someone else hopefully will chime in on that.  Of course these answers assume you plan to use WUHU.  I don't think the IP version can be used with WUHU but again someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

      WUHU doesn't log history other than extremes.  The data logger does though for a certain time.  You can use both WUHU and the Davis software provided you purchase the correct software.  Someone else will have to answer which software that is though.

      Sorry I wasn't as helpful on this set of questions.

      Don

      On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Kineret <kineret@...> wrote:

      Thank you Don!

      Some more questions:

      1.       Is there any advantage to purchasing a wired station or would wireless work just as well? Does the wireless transmit information as often as the wired? Any data loss issues or something else I should be aware of?

      2.       I live in Israel, so I'm wondering if there might be any issues with wireless for me that possibly don't apply to the USA?

      3.       I saw that there are several data loggers – serial, usb, and something that ends with IP – can anyone explain the differences and pros/cons of each? ( I do have a serial port on my PC but I'd rather keep that free as I use it for connecting to other devices).

      4.       Does the WUHU enable storing historical data on my computer? Or possibly the data logger software does, if it doesn't (and if I can use both at the same time)?

      Thanks again

      Kineret

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 13, 2013

        Thank you again, Don. You've been extremely helpful! If anyone else can help with info about how the IP version, I'd be very grateful. Also, does anyone know if the datalogger software itself downloads and saves history files to the PC?

        Thanks

        Kineret

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 13, 2013
          Ok those are lot of questions with not so simple answers.

          USB,Serial,IP data logger. The data loggers themselves are all the same. The primary difference is that the IP data logger is designed to send data directly to your router. This eliminates the need to run a computer 24/7. The IP logger sends data to the weatherlink network. From there you can if you wish have the data relayed to other sites.

          The software that comes with all of the loggers Weaterlink will archive data to your computer. The logger will collect this data for specific periods of time (based on how often you tell the logger to record data). You can then run Wl at given intervals to retrieve the data. hourly, daily, weekly.

          All of this way to much for me to try and explsin here. You need to go to the Davis site and read the manuals for the system you have, Wl , and the the loggers.

          I personaly do not try to archive data on my own computer. I send the data to Weather undergrond and let them do that.

          I think that the USB logger is the most flexable of all of the loggers. However, You MUST reade the manual before installing it to be sure that you understand haow to set it up to use third party software such as WUHU.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Kineret" wrote:

          > Thank you again, Don. You've been extremely helpful! If anyone else can help
          > with info about how the IP version, I'd be very grateful. Also, does anyone
          > know if the datalogger software itself downloads and saves history files to
          > the PC?
          >

          > Thanks
          >
          > Kineret

        • Gulf Breeze
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 13, 2013
            I've purchased all 3 data loggers, the best and most reliable is the Serial, next would be the LAN data logger, and finally the USB logger.

            Cons for each:
            Serial - if you don't have a port you'll have to buy a card.

            LAN - Doesn't work well with a Dynamic IP address, but does well with a Static IP address.

            USB - Known to have issues with USB data logger hub device, not very reliable.

            Hope this helps as well...

            GB

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "marcelcanine" wrote:

            > Ok those are lot of questions with not so simple answers.
            >
            > USB,Serial,IP data logger. The data loggers themselves are all the same. The primary difference is that the IP data logger is designed to send data directly to your router. This eliminates the need to run a computer 24/7. The IP logger sends data to the weatherlink network. From there you can if you wish have the data relayed to other sites.
            >
            > The software that comes with all of the loggers Weaterlink will archive data to your computer. The logger will collect this data for specific periods of time (based on how often you tell the logger to record data). You can then run Wl at given intervals to retrieve the data. hourly, daily, weekly.
            >
            > All of this way to much for me to try and explsin here. You need to go to the Davis site and read the manuals for the system you have, Wl , and the the loggers.
            >
            > I personaly do not try to archive data on my own computer. I send the data to Weather undergrond and let them do that.
            >
            > I think that the USB logger is the most flexable of all of the loggers. However, You MUST reade the manual before installing it to be sure that you understand haow to set it up to use third party software such as WUHU.
            >

            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Kineret" wrote:
            > >
            > > Thank you again, Don. You've been extremely helpful! If anyone else can help
            > > with info about how the IP version, I'd be very grateful. Also, does anyone
            > > know if the datalogger software itself downloads and saves history files to
            > > the PC?
            > >

            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Kineret

          • Kineret
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2013

              Thank you guys.

              You have been most helpful.

              I think I have my information down now and I'm ready to purchase (and start reading manuals galore J).