Re: Yet another bug in WS3600 Heavy Weather?

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
      David,

      I am guessing that the unit is measuring current wind speed in a
      given time interval. It may or not be capturing the gust speed and
      reporting that value when the data is received by Heavyweather. The
      documentation makes no reference to gust wind speed.

      What I do know is that when in wired mode, the unit is reporting to
      Heavyweather approximately ever 9 seconds. Heavyweather is reading
      and probably storing this data. They are probably then determining
      gust speed as the highest wind speed over the past 5 minutes (minimum
      recording interval for history.dat).

      When we look at the current.lst file, Heavyweather is only updating
      this file 1/6 of the time (since it is updating the file only once
      per minute). I believe that what it is writing to the current.lst
      file is the last update received from the unit (before the 1 minute
      time period has expired).

      Therefore Heavyweather is processing 100% of the data received from
      the unit and currdat.lst is receiving about 16% of the data.

      Ideally Heavyweather would update currdat.lst with 100% of the data,
      then we can determine gust speed from the readings. This would be a
      quick and easy change to the software (I requested this change back
      in April 2005).

      The current.lst file would be preferable over the history.dat file in
      that the data is in plain text form for other applications to access
      (Heavyweather publisher uses this method). The history.dat file on
      the other hand is encoded in binary data. The format of the
      history.dat file is dependent upon the model being used.

      I will take a look at the file formats to see if they can be decoded
      properly. I should be able to support both.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
      <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
      > It wouldn't matter how often they write the data to current.1st
      The
      > problem is that they are NOT writing gust information to it.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > David Higgins
      > Canberra, Australia
      > http://users.bigpond.com/higginsdj

      > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
      > > David,
      > >
      > > I am not certain, but I believe the history.dat is written at a
      > > minimum of 5 minute intervals.
      > >
      > > If the Heavyweather application were to write currdat.lst every
      > time
      > > the data is read from the console, this should correct the wind
      > > speed/gust issue.
      > >
      > > Ideally, if I could support the 36xx protocol, I would talk to
      the
      > > units directly. I believe the 23xx protocol understood well
      enough
      > > implement it for practical purposes.
      > >
      > > They might not be the exclusive distributor, but maybe they can
      > > motivate the supplier to correct the problems.
      > >
      > > I believe the contact for Lacrosse is at:
      > >
      > > http://www.lacrossetechnology.info/contact.html

    • David Higgins
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
        Are we talking WS2300 or WS3600 here? The doco for the WS3600
        specifically states that it reports wind gust information. Wind
        Gust *is* displayed in the unit display so I don't believe it is
        some special function in heavyweather.

        Observation of the 2 values displayed in the unit (Wind speed and
        Gust) shows that heavy weather is NOT doing what you suggest.

        Cheers

        David

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 20, 2005
          David,

          I was refering to the WS2300 series. I was not aware that the WS3600
          maintained gust informaiton.

          Do we know if the gust information is stored in the currdat.lst file?

          Is it stored in the histor.dat file?

          Thanks.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 20, 2005
            David,

            I found the info for decoding the history.dat file.

            You are right, the 3600 does record wind gust whereas the 2300 does
            not.

            HeavyWeather History File Format
            --------------------------------

            Last Updated 2005/7/8
            Compiled by Ben Udall

            By default, weather history is stored in the history.dat file in the
            HeavyWeather folder. HeavyWeather and HeavyWeatherPro use two
            different
            formats, both of which are presented below. Initial format
            information
            for HeavyWeatherPro was taken from Cyril Cavadore's program
            (http://www.astrosurf.com/cavadore/meteo/stations_meteo/lacrosse/)

            *******************

            HeavyWeather V2.0 beta
            La Crosse WS-2310 and WS-2315 weather stations

            Each row of data is stored in 36 byte chunks starting from the
            beginning of
            the file (no header).

            Row
            Offset Type Name Unit
            ------ --------- ---------------- -----
            00 ULong [4] unknown - (Value is always 1)
            04 ULong [4] Timestamp seconds from 1/1/1900 00:00:00
            (GMT)
            08 Float [4] Abs Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
            12 Float [4] Wind Speed meters/second
            16 ULong [4] Wind Direction see below
            20 Float [4] Total Rainfall millimeters
            24 Float [4] Indoor Temp Celsius
            28 Float [4] Outdoor Temp Celsius
            32 UWord [2] Indoor Humidity %
            34 UWord [2] Outdoor Humidity %

            At the end of the file is an additional 28 bytes providing
            information about
            the dataset as a whole.

            Offset Type Description
            ------ --------- ----------------
            00 ULong [4] unknown
            04 Ulong [4] unknown (0)
            08 Float [4] unknown (5.698)
            12 ULong [4] unknown (0)
            16 ULong [4] Number of rows
            20 ULong [4] Timestamp of the first row of data
            24 ULong [4] Timestamp of the last row of data

            *******************

            HeavyWeatherPro V1.1
            La Crosse WS-3610 weather station

            Each row of data is stored in 56 byte chunks starting from the
            beginning of
            the file (no header).

            ROW
            OFFSET Type Name Unit
            ------ --------- ---------------- -----
            00 Double [8] Timestamp days from 12/30/1899 00:00:00
            (GMT)
            08 Float [4] Abs Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
            12 Float [4] Relative Pressure hectopascals (millibars)
            16 Float [4] Wind Speed meters/second
            20 ULong [4] Wind Direction see below
            24 Float [4] Wind Gust meters/second
            28 Float [4] Total Rainfall millimeters
            32 Float [4] New Rainfall millimeters
            36 Float [4] Indoor Temp celsius
            40 Float [4] Outdoor Temp celsius
            44 Float [4] Indoor Humidity %
            48 Float [4] Outdoor Humidity %
            52 ULong [4] unknown - (Value is always 0)

            Since the timestamp is a double, the fractional part represents
            fractions of
            a day. This is probably the same type as the Delphi TdateTime type.
            More
            information about this type can be found here:
            http://www.aimtec.com.au/articles/ItsAboutTime/Default.htm

            *******************

            Wind Direction

            Wind direction is encoded as an integer between 0 and 15. To get the
            wind direction in degrees, multiply the value by 22.5. To get compass
            directions (moving clockwise) 0 is North, 1 is North-Northeast, 2 is
            Northeast, etc...
            0 N
            1 NNE
            2 NE