Re: Communications Error or invalid/corrupt data

  • DGB
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 9, 2013
      I have had the base unit uplugged for 24 hours; I have it now restarted and updating the date, but not yet connected to the serial port. I'll let you know the results later today.

      It seems like there was a setting possible to make the base unit poll the sensors more frequently in wiresless mode. Is true?

      DGB

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 9, 2013
        Under [General Settings] in the INI file, add the line:

        WS23XX Force Wired Mode Update Rate=1

        Remember to exit WUHU before editing and use only notepad or another editor that will not add funky characters.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 10, 2013
          Thanks for that tip about editing the .ini file. I notice that you're suggesting I change the value for wired mode, even though I'm running in wireless mode. Is that correct?

          The results of unpowering the base unit for 24 hours: I powereded the base unit up, and for about ten hours, I was error free. I thought I had fixed it, but then last night the errors began anew. Again, I have data that makes it to the PC, uploads, and all displays look correct and accuate, and yet this error log keeps rolling on.

          I'll post below a snip from the log; note the time stamps. Please let me know your thoughts, and thanks in advance.

          Wed Jan 09 08:41:27 2013 > WUHU Application Started (1,0,216,163)
          Wed Jan 09 08:41:28 2013 > WUHU monitoring started (WUHU21623XXSP).
          Wed Jan 09 08:41:28 2013 > Weather Underground ID: KNCLEXIN15
          Wed Jan 09 08:41:28 2013 > Opened serial port COM6 successfully.
          Wed Jan 09 08:43:37 2013 > Console history started. Records in Memory:2, Index of Newest Record:1, History Interval in Mins:60, Abs->Rel Pressure offset=0.48, Rain Reference Total (MM):0.0000, Rain Reference Count:0.
          Wed Jan 09 08:43:41 2013 > Console history read completed succesfully. 2 records were collected. 2 records were stored. 2 records were uploaded to Weather Underground, 0 records were uploaded to PWSWeather, 0 records were uploaded to WeatherBug.
          Wed Jan 09 22:01:04 2013 > An error occurred reading the 1 HR rainfall from the console.
          Wed Jan 09 22:01:04 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
          Wed Jan 09 22:05:07 2013 > An error occurred reading the storm alert from the console.
          Wed Jan 09 22:05:07 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
          Wed Jan 09 22:05:25 2013 > An error occurred reading the indoor temperature from the console.
          Wed Jan 09 22:05:25 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
          Wed Jan 09 22:06:10 2013 > An error occurred reading the indoor humidity from the console.
          Wed Jan 09 22:06:10 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
          Wed Jan 09 22:06:31 2013 > An error occurred reading the outdoor temperature from the console.
          Wed Jan 09 22:06:31 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
          Wed Jan 09 22:09:30 2013 > An error occurred reading the weather tendency and forecast from the console.
          Wed Jan 09 22:09:30 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
          Wed Jan 09 22:09:49 2013 > An error occurred reading the storm alert from the console.
          Wed Jan 09 22:09:49 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 10, 2013
            That is a bit odd but given the time between errors, you can just ignore them. It is hard to say what is going on. I would check the connection between the PC and the weather station. The modular connector at the console has been known to not seat properly. Make sure it is well seated. Double check that the serial connection at the back of the PC is connected properly. If the console and the PC are powered off of different outlets or power strips, move them to the same outlet, could be a grounding issue.

> [...]
            > Wed Jan 09 22:09:49 2013 > An error occurred reading the storm alert from the console.
            > Wed Jan 09 22:09:49 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
            >
            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" wrote:
            > >

            > > Under [General Settings] in the INI file, add the line:
            > >
            > > WS23XX Force Wired Mode Update Rate=1
            > >
            > > Remember to exit WUHU before editing and use only notepad or another editor that will not add funky characters.
            > >

            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "DGB" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have had the base unit uplugged for 24 hours; I have it now restarted and updating the date, but not yet connected to the serial port. I'll let you know the results later today.
            > > >
            > > > It seems like there was a setting possible to make the base unit poll the sensors more frequently in wiresless mode. Is true?

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
              Heath and I went over this topic many moons ago. Since I've changed stations. It is still an intermittent "problem" with reported errors similar in nature.

              I noted that it is often in a similar time-frame. One possibility is server maintenance in the nighttime hours. There is a lot of data streaming and the real-time nature would stress a server bank if fewer resources were temporarily unavailable to service the data stream.

              I haven't bothered with the "problem" other than to occasionally clear the log. As a former programmer, I recognize that an intermittent failure is one of the hardest to diagnose and service. In this case it just doesn't seem worth the effort. The charts maintain adequate reporting during such outage periods. Should there be noticeable gaps (straight line chart periods) indicating longer term failure, I might raise a concern.

              It could be any number of things. The processor in the display isn't accessible for trouble shooting except by LaCross. It may be that it errors and resets without any info being passed to Heath's package. That leaves him unable to process for the error beyond what he is doing.