convert from WUHU to APRS?

  • phil_in_ca
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
      Greetings to the group,

      I recently decided to relegate the task of uploading my weather data from WUHU to APRS over amateur radio. My radio gear has been gathering dust in the last few years and I really wanted to get the weather station off my computer (actually, a succession of computers!) for a long time.

      For those of you who use the same computer daily for personal use and weather station duty, you probably know what I mean. Installing and uninstalling software become more than just a chore when weather station data has to be stopped and then restarted.

      Anyway, I made the transition a couple of nights ago after notifying the NOAA people of my change, enlisting the help of a local NWS employee, and monitoring my system to make sure that my data is flowing through the local internet gate (IGATE) to aprs.fi, mesowest, and findu.com. I emailed Weather Underground, asking for a new station ID so that it could be chosen from their drop down menu for my town; with a name that matches the other local APRS stations, like "APRSWXNET Coalinga".

      I have not heard from WU and have not seen my station data, as of this moment. My station hasn't moved, or changed in any way... just the method of delivery. My CWOP designation changed from CW2610 to C2610 for MADIS, but otherwise everything is the same. The local NWS people have my data and are happy, but WU has dropped the ball!

      I live in a tiny town with no other source of weather data, and lots of locals watch my station data on WU daily. Thankfully, they haven't emailed me, or accosted me at the store, when the system has been down in the past, but this outage may make them crazy.... LOL. I may have to don my flameproof johns to get breakfast at the local greasy spoon from now on.

      Any suggestions as to how I might proceed? Anyone know of a contact person at WU that I can call or email, to straighten this out?

      TIA,
      Phil
    • Don Lafferty