Re: Communications Error or invalid/corrupt data

  • DGB
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
      I'm only running WUHU; I haven't used Heavy Weather for several years. Are you suggesting that I try using Heavy Weather to see if it works correctly?

      By the way, the LaCrosse base station seems to be working and displaying just fine.

      I was thinking I might try uninstalling WUHU and reinstalling.

      Thoughts?

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" wrote:

      > Can you establish communication with HeavyWeather? Beware that both software applications cannot communicate with the station at the same time. You have to choose one or the other.

    • GW
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
        I think I've had this happen to my 2315 but it's been a while.

        Have you made any changes to your computer lately? Installed new programs? Is the clock on the console the same as the computer? The date?

        I believe I've cured mine by taking the batteries out of the console and unplugging it from the wall and let it sit for 24 hours (A hard reset). It wouldn't hurt to try.

        It might be WUHU, but it's probably the console. I'd try that first.

        Good luck and keep us informed. :)

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "DGB" wrote:

        > I'm only running WUHU; I haven't used Heavy Weather for several years. Are you suggesting that I try using Heavy Weather to see if it works correctly?
        >
        > By the way, the LaCrosse base station seems to be working and displaying just fine.
        >
        > I was thinking I might try uninstalling WUHU and reinstalling.
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" wrote:
        > >

        > > Can you establish communication with HeavyWeather? Beware that both software applications cannot communicate with the station at the same time. You have to choose one or the other.

      • H. Smith
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013

          You might try Heavyweather just to see if it can get any data.

          What might have happened, if there was lightning in your area, and you are in wired mode, that the RS-232 interface on the console is fried. It happened to me once as well. The console can be swapped out for a new one and the sensors are probably Ok if this is what happened to you.

          Did you have lightning in the area when it last worked?

          I'm only running WUHU; I haven't used Heavy Weather for several years. Are you suggesting that I try using Heavy Weather to see if it works correctly?

          By the way, the LaCrosse base station seems to be working and displaying just fine.

          I was thinking I might try uninstalling WUHU and reinstalling.

          Thoughts?

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" wrote:

          > Can you establish communication with HeavyWeather? Beware that both software applications cannot communicate with the station at the same time. You have to choose one or the other.

        • Chris Vickroy
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
            That happened to me several years ago as well, except it fried the serial card in my computer too.  Luckily the spike wasn’t enough to kill the computer.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
              Thanks, everyone for these suggestions. My station is using wireless connection to the outside sensors. No lighting involved.

              I have changed batteries in both the sensor, and the base station, and unplugged the base station as well, although not for 24 hours. I will try that today.

              Data is is showing in all windows all the time on both the base console and the computer interface. The corrupt data error is no longer happening, however, the log now shows a constant error polling for each sensor, one at a time, over and over, continuously. That's obviously taking up a lot of processor time on my PC.

              When I graph the data, the data indicates a "flat line" of the few seconds of error, and then the correct data point, and then another flat line, also repeating over and over. The data is being read for each sensor, eventually. WUHU is dutifully uploading the data to Weather Underground and also shows up on the web page.

              As I said, I'll try unplugging and removing batteries for the base station for 24 hours. I can also post a data log if you'd like to see the repeating error messages.

              Thanks again,

              DGB

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
                If you have "Show Console Com. Errors" checked in the log screen, un-check that and it will probably not show the polling of data.

                With wireless mode, the console will only collect new data once a minute (or more) depending on the wind speed outdoors.

                In wired mode, it is more like every 7 seconds. That is why we take the risk with lightning strikes taking out the console, serial port, or worse.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 9, 2013
                  I have had the base unit uplugged for 24 hours; I have it now restarted and updating the date, but not yet connected to the serial port. I'll let you know the results later today.

                  It seems like there was a setting possible to make the base unit poll the sensors more frequently in wiresless mode. Is true?

                  DGB

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 9, 2013
                    Under [General Settings] in the INI file, add the line:

                    WS23XX Force Wired Mode Update Rate=1

                    Remember to exit WUHU before editing and use only notepad or another editor that will not add funky characters.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 10, 2013
                      Thanks for that tip about editing the .ini file. I notice that you're suggesting I change the value for wired mode, even though I'm running in wireless mode. Is that correct?

                      The results of unpowering the base unit for 24 hours: I powereded the base unit up, and for about ten hours, I was error free. I thought I had fixed it, but then last night the errors began anew. Again, I have data that makes it to the PC, uploads, and all displays look correct and accuate, and yet this error log keeps rolling on.

                      I'll post below a snip from the log; note the time stamps. Please let me know your thoughts, and thanks in advance.

                      Wed Jan 09 08:41:27 2013 > WUHU Application Started (1,0,216,163)
                      Wed Jan 09 08:41:28 2013 > WUHU monitoring started (WUHU21623XXSP).
                      Wed Jan 09 08:41:28 2013 > Weather Underground ID: KNCLEXIN15
                      Wed Jan 09 08:41:28 2013 > Opened serial port COM6 successfully.
                      Wed Jan 09 08:43:37 2013 > Console history started. Records in Memory:2, Index of Newest Record:1, History Interval in Mins:60, Abs->Rel Pressure offset=0.48, Rain Reference Total (MM):0.0000, Rain Reference Count:0.
                      Wed Jan 09 08:43:41 2013 > Console history read completed succesfully. 2 records were collected. 2 records were stored. 2 records were uploaded to Weather Underground, 0 records were uploaded to PWSWeather, 0 records were uploaded to WeatherBug.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:01:04 2013 > An error occurred reading the 1 HR rainfall from the console.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:01:04 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:05:07 2013 > An error occurred reading the storm alert from the console.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:05:07 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:05:25 2013 > An error occurred reading the indoor temperature from the console.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:05:25 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:06:10 2013 > An error occurred reading the indoor humidity from the console.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:06:10 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:06:31 2013 > An error occurred reading the outdoor temperature from the console.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:06:31 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:09:30 2013 > An error occurred reading the weather tendency and forecast from the console.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:09:30 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:09:49 2013 > An error occurred reading the storm alert from the console.
                      Wed Jan 09 22:09:49 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 10, 2013
                        That is a bit odd but given the time between errors, you can just ignore them. It is hard to say what is going on. I would check the connection between the PC and the weather station. The modular connector at the console has been known to not seat properly. Make sure it is well seated. Double check that the serial connection at the back of the PC is connected properly. If the console and the PC are powered off of different outlets or power strips, move them to the same outlet, could be a grounding issue.

> [...]
                        > Wed Jan 09 22:09:49 2013 > An error occurred reading the storm alert from the console.
                        > Wed Jan 09 22:09:49 2013 > Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds.
                        >
                        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Under [General Settings] in the INI file, add the line:
                        > >
                        > > WS23XX Force Wired Mode Update Rate=1
                        > >
                        > > Remember to exit WUHU before editing and use only notepad or another editor that will not add funky characters.
                        > >

                        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "DGB" wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I have had the base unit uplugged for 24 hours; I have it now restarted and updating the date, but not yet connected to the serial port. I'll let you know the results later today.
                        > > >
                        > > > It seems like there was a setting possible to make the base unit poll the sensors more frequently in wiresless mode. Is true?

                      • Ken
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
                          Heath and I went over this topic many moons ago. Since I've changed stations. It is still an intermittent "problem" with reported errors similar in nature.

                          I noted that it is often in a similar time-frame. One possibility is server maintenance in the nighttime hours. There is a lot of data streaming and the real-time nature would stress a server bank if fewer resources were temporarily unavailable to service the data stream.

                          I haven't bothered with the "problem" other than to occasionally clear the log. As a former programmer, I recognize that an intermittent failure is one of the hardest to diagnose and service. In this case it just doesn't seem worth the effort. The charts maintain adequate reporting during such outage periods. Should there be noticeable gaps (straight line chart periods) indicating longer term failure, I might raise a concern.

                          It could be any number of things. The processor in the display isn't accessible for trouble shooting except by LaCross. It may be that it errors and resets without any info being passed to Heath's package. That leaves him unable to process for the error beyond what he is doing.