Re: La Crosse 2308-AL replacement

  • cmc_joe
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
      I have had my 2308 running since 2006. I have replaced the wind sensor once (with one with cups instead of the fan style, and replace the rain sensor twice. The site I bought them from (lacrossetechnologyoutlet) does not list them as available now. You might try to Google the actual part number on the sensor. I think that is how I replace the first sensor.

      I have about the same budget for a replacement station (next time this one goes down) and I have settled on the Davis Vantage Vue. Ambient has them now for about 280 plus 110 for the data logger. About 100 more than what I want to spend but.....

      Joe

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software" wrote:

      > For the heck of it, you might try contacting La Crosse directly.
      >
      > http://www.lacrossetechnologyoutlet.com/parts
      >
      > The parts list does not seem to show much. Not sure what is going on there. I would fire off an email to them.
      >
      > It might be worth saving the station if all you need is a new anemometer and a rain bucket.
      >
      > I see they sell reconditioned stations as well.
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Doug Thompson wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi
      > >
      > > I've been running a LC 2308AL since early 01/2008 and joined WUHU on 01/16/2008 and I've learned a great deal by lurking and reading so thank you all.
      > >

      > > As with any other piece of equipment the time may have come for an up-grade: the wind speed detection has become very flaky; the rain gauge is suspect at best; about 3 years ago the batteries leaked in the main station but after a thorough cleaning I got it back online.  I use a ten year old E-Machine laptop, behind a physical router, running fully patched Win-XP as a dedicated server to WeatherUnderground and CWOP,  I started searching for a replacement wind speed/direction unit and a new rain gauge but finding them from a reliable source seems to be a bit problematic.
      > >
      > > I trust the groups input so any suggestions of either a source for replacement parts or a new station would be welcome.  My station budget is in the $150.00 to $300.00 (US) range.
      > >
      > > Thanks again for 5 years of knowledge.
      > >
      > > Doug Thompson
      > >

      > > KCOMANZA2

    • Chris Vickroy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
        I used to have a 2310 that I kept going for a while before I bought a Davis WS.  The cheapest way I kept mine working was to go to the Great Big Outlet (it’s now http://www.lacrossetechnologyoutlet.com/) and buy a second WS to use for parts.  You might try that – unless you do what I did, buy a Davis.  I have not had to replace a part in 6 years.  Smile

        href="http://www.lacrossetechnologyoutlet.com/parts">http://www.lacrossetechnologyoutlet.com/parts

        href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com, Doug Thompson wrote:

        > > Hi

        I've been running a LC 2308AL since early 01/2008 and joined WUHU on 01/16/2008 and I've learned a great deal by lurking and reading so thank you all.

        > > As with any other piece of equipment
        the time may have come for an up-grade: the wind speed detection has become very flaky; the rain gauge is suspect at best; about 3 years ago the batteries leaked in the main station but after a thorough cleaning I got it back online.  I use a ten year old E-Machine laptop, behind a physical router, running fully patched Win-XP as a dedicated server to WeatherUnderground and CWOP,  I started searching for a replacement wind speed/direction unit and a new rain gauge but finding them from a reliable source seems to be a bit problematic.

        > > I trust the groups input so any
        suggestions of either a source for replacement parts or a new station would be welcome.  My station budget is in the $150.00 to $300.00 (US) range.

        > > Thanks again for 5 years of knowledge.
        > >
        > > Doug Thompson

        KCOMANZA2